Sponsored

What kind of off roading is a JLU Sport S capable of?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

A stock JLU SS being put through it's paces. Great look at the BLD doing it's thing @ 4:40.

A few basic mods can take an already super capable Sport S to the next level. Disconnects and swapping in a Rubicon suspension can make a noticeable difference for around $250...
I should just mention that you don't need to pay anything to disconnect. Just loosen two bolts and zip-tie.
Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of off-road capabilities, just curious about how many folks turn ESC off when driving off road. Page 299 of my Owner's Manual states, "The “Full Off” mode is intended for off-highway or off-road use only and should not be used on any public roadways. In this mode, TCS and ESC features are turned off."

However, it seems people forget about this and just leave it on. Is this problematic when on the trail? Does "Partial Off" serve the same purpose? The manual doesn't address this very well, so just want to see what you all think.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off roading is a JLU Sport S capable of? 8351460467_e6413bf608_k

I wheeled my JK Sport (2dr / 6spd mt) completely bone stock for a year before I started putting mods on. I didn't do anything too crazy, but still tested her out real well. And these things are enormously capable right out of the gate.

I ran the wimpy stock tires until they were worn out, then put on 33s (that was a definite improvement). It wasn't until I started hitting limitations (or wanting to do more remote and isolated trails), I started adding more serious mods on. It was my daily driver and I was on a limited budget, so I was pretty moderate with those, too.

Moving up to Rubicon JL now, but the JK served me well for nine years. You'll be amazed at what you can do with a Sport. And judging from what I see of JL Sports, they're even more capable than the JKs were.

Be smart, pick good lines, learn your Jeep's quirks. You'll be fine.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I have the base sport with open diffs and road tires. The road tires were the biggest limitation so far. Just throwing some all terrains make trails so much easier. You'll be surprised what you can get through with just 2wd.
I did trails with my JLU Sport with its stock Goodyear Kevlar tires. I had some trips planned for Moab and I was concerned about sidewalls on the rocks so I bought some Rubicon takeoff tires which gave me about an inch of ground clearance. I later got some Rubicon takeoff springs and shocks which gave me another 1.5" of ground clearance. Last week my daughter and I did Elephant Hill in Canyonlands, a trail rated as difficult. I expected it to be a challenge, it was more than I expected. I'm not new to trails but I haven't done any significant rockcrawling before, and my daughter wasn't experienced in spotting, but we made it through with no problems. I think an experienced driver and good spotter could get a stock Sport through there. Ground clearance would be the biggest challenge.
Sponsored