Sponsored

What kind of off roading is a JLU Sport S capable of?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
LSD is better than nothing. But to be honest I dont even know if it is worth it on the JL. LSD is not a substitute for a locker. In theory, a good LSD can be almost as good as a locker when rolling with smaller tires (32s,33s). But we all have BLD anyway and it is unclear how good the LSD in the JL is and if it can even handle 32s and 33s. So when my rear "locks" I cant tell if it is BLD or LSD, because I dont have a jeep without LSD to compare with. I would guess it is the LSD because when it locks it feels locked and steady in comparison with BLD which is unpredictable. I think it works pretty well, but I cant tell for sure. There is also a noticeable "lag" before I can get it to lock.
I've only noticed the BLD actuating my front wheels. Of course I don't normally have a lot of wheel spin when I wheel but the LSD seems to be quick to "lock" the few times I have lost traction in the rear.
Sponsored

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
I really hope the Jamboree guys do more of these one-day Jeep Adventure Academy events. I went to the one in Hollister, and was there with a total mix of models. The Sports did everything the Rubicons did, with the exception of one really gnarly box canyon section that required lockers. The team there teaches you where the limits are - I was scraping at one point on a really gnarly rock garden, and the spotter said - "you're fine - the Willys skid plate has you covered!"
https://jeepadventureacademy.com/

WhitneyWillys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys
I have wondered about this as well. I have a JLUS Willys with LSD.

They way I see things, based on my limited personal experience, and conversations/research, there is at best a very small subset of trails where lockers alone make a difference. Trails that require lockers, pretty much end up requiring lifts, disconnects, spotters and potentially winches. All off these can be made available on a Sport as well. With these, and still missing lockers, it appears you can do any trail that Rubicons can. You might be using your winch more often perhaps, but you will make it.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I feel the need to reiterate that the Sport, Sahara and their derivative special editions (Willys, Freedom, Altitude) are very capable off road vehicles in their own right. The locking differentials and 4:1 low range of the Rubicon only serve to enhance capability over the Sport/Sahara rather than becoming the deciding factor over what is and is not an "off roader"

Sponsored

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350
I feel the need to reiterate that the Sport, Sahara and their derivative special editions (Willys, Freedom, Altitude) are very capable off road vehicles in their own right. The locking differentials and 4:1 low range of the Rubicon only serve to enhance capability over the Sport/Sahara rather than becoming the deciding factor over what is and is not an "off roader"
I am seriously looking at a JLU Sport Willy and would like to get the diesel. Has anyone ordered or bought one with the diesel?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am seriously looking at a JLU Sport Willy and would like to get the diesel. Has anyone ordered or bought one with the diesel?
I've got the gas 3.6 V6 in mine. I can only assume the extra torque (and lower 3.73 gearing) would make it run over trails so much easier!

Voodoobones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
On a different note; I saw this warning on the Silver Valley Jamboree website and was wondering about it:

"Participant Jeeps with tires over 40″ WILL BE TURNED AWAY AT VEHICLE EVALUATION AND WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND JAMBOREE, NO REFUND."

Why are tires over 40" a no-no?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
On a different note; I saw this warning on the Silver Valley Jamboree website and was wondering about it:

"Participant Jeeps with tires over 40″ WILL BE TURNED AWAY AT VEHICLE EVALUATION AND WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND JAMBOREE, NO REFUND."

Why are tires over 40" a no-no?
They say it tears up the trails too much.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I wouldn't take on any obstacles that require a lot of momentum and acceleration. That's a one way trip to snap city.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Trails that require lockers, pretty much end up requiring lifts, disconnects, spotters and potentially winches.
It can escalate fast. Depending on where you are going, most trails aren't all that bad.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)

A stock JLU SS being put through it's paces. Great look at the BLD doing it's thing @ 4:40.

A few basic mods can take an already super capable Sport S to the next level. Disconnects and swapping in a Rubicon suspension can make a noticeable difference for around $250...

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

A stock JLU SS being put through it's paces. Great look at the BLD doing it's thing @ 4:40.

A few basic mods can take an already super capable Sport S to the next level. Disconnects and swapping in a Rubicon suspension can make a noticeable difference for around $250...
This video says it all. I have a 2D sport S with rubicon suspension, LSD, rock sliders, metal bumpers and a winch. I was planning adding ARB lockers but I changed my mind. Honestly, you dont need them. I still have the stock AT tires on it, which are about 32 inches. I will switch to k02s and I think thats all for me!.

The trails that require lockers here in california also require me to have bigger balls. Maybe one day ill get there, but my balls still sport sized.
Sponsored