Sponsored

What kind of off roading is a JLU Sport S capable of?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It is a Jeep. and it can do Jeep trails. It is the most capable stock vehicle behind the Rubicon. Start with easy trails and gradually increase their difficulty until you start noticing you are pushing its limits. That's what I did. When things started getting tricky I installed a rubi suspension and quick discos, also some protection (side rails, steel bumpers, front diff skid). I am still running stock 32s A/T tires and have not pushed the Jeep with this setup so far, the added clearance and articulation increased its capabilities exponentially.

I do wanna get lockers, winch, and 33s KO2s. But to be honest, so far I don't need those.
Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Everybody, esp the newbies, but including some folks who should no better question the stock JL’s (non Rubicon) capabilities while seemingly ignoring the fact that a bone stock JL is a LOT more capable than ANY Jeep made 20+ years ago, and folks using those are the ones who originally conquered the trails they are now legendary. Simple fact, a stock JL with decent tires and a good driver can go darn near anyplace. You’re far no likely to run out of driver skill than you are Jeep capability😏

Morbo101

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sport s
Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off roading is a JLU Sport S capable of? 47070E4F-5CF3-4D44-8E30-E13A9CF3FC98

Hungry valley state park. I did some black diamond level stuff on stock suspension rubicon 33” MT wheels. Pretty capable if you ask me.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Besides ground clearance and tire size, I always thought our biggest limitation were the axles when pushing it too hard

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Besides ground clearance and tire size, I always thought our biggest limitation were the axles when pushing it too hard
Only if you get tires too big, and you have to really push it.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Note that stock JL tires are the size of Rubicon tires from a few years ago (TJ). Get some decent treaded tires and go for it.

Cyclrder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKU Rubicon, S213E63S, 997.2TTMT
The LSD is fantastic and even better in the snow .... put a set of KO2s (much quieter and less squirm than the Wild Peaks that are on my Rubicon)... and you will be fine. Their is a whole technique to using the brake whilst driving to kick in the ABS to spread the torque to the wheel with traction.

be warned though... a lot of the wheeling I’ve done in Northern NJ will do a number on the bottom of your Jeep... I installed a metal Claok underneath guard.... but I’m compulsive like that.

Good luck!

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
It is a Jeep. and it can do Jeep trails. It is the most capable stock vehicle behind the Rubicon. Start with easy trails and gradually increase their difficulty until you start noticing you are pushing its limits. That's what I did. When things started getting tricky I installed a rubi suspension and quick discos, also some protection (side rails, steel bumpers, front diff skid). I am still running stock 32s A/T tires and have not pushed the Jeep with this setup so far, the added clearance and articulation increased its capabilities exponentially.

I do wanna get lockers, winch, and 33s KO2s. But to be honest, so far I don't need those.
i keep seeing references to "lockers", so i looked it up. i was pretty sure i knew what it was talking about, but found this video which seems to explain everything, including why my LSD isn't great for off roading.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
i keep seeing references to "lockers", so i looked it up. i was pretty sure i knew what it was talking about, but found this video which seems to explain everything, including why my LSD isn't great for off roading.
LSD is better than nothing. But to be honest I dont even know if it is worth it on the JL. LSD is not a substitute for a locker. In theory, a good LSD can be almost as good as a locker when rolling with smaller tires (32s,33s). But we all have BLD anyway and it is unclear how good the LSD in the JL is and if it can even handle 32s and 33s. So when my rear "locks" I cant tell if it is BLD or LSD, because I dont have a jeep without LSD to compare with. I would guess it is the LSD because when it locks it feels locked and steady in comparison with BLD which is unpredictable. I think it works pretty well, but I cant tell for sure. There is also a noticeable "lag" before I can get it to lock.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My experience with LS diff’s has been very positive, and I would not buy a Jeep or a truck without it. I’ve had 4x4’s for decades and the difference a limited slip makes is substantial.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@trouphaz,

I can't answer for a JLUS but I can for a 2019 JLS (2 door). I have the 3.6L Auto with a 2.5" Mopar Lift on Goodyear Duratrac 35s with the Teraflex Sway-Bar Quick Disconnects. I also have the 3.45 open diffs on both axles.

The next thing that will make my Sport S even more off-road capable is a Winch. That will be my very next mod. Of course I'll need to replace the plastic front bumper as well. Right now I'm planning on the Mopar Steel (Rubicon) front bumper and a Warn 10K Winch.

Regardless, I've tackled some pretty difficult to severe trails here in my home state of Colorado. Helping me in that endeavor, I recently joined a local Jeep Club in the Metro Denver Area. Interestingly, every other member owns either a JK Rubicon, or some other older Rubicon flavor (CJ, LJ, TJ, even a 1950 vintage Willys. I'm so far the only JL driver. But, I've been able to successfully accomplish every run we've done thus far.

At first, many were skeptical about me going on some difficult trails due to being a tenderfoot and having a rig without lockers. However, after successfully achieving the most difficult to severe obstacles with no other assistance than advice, they quickly warmed up to both me and my Sport.

Granted my Jeep is not stock, but it's not a Rubi either. I get complimented all the time by other non-club Jeepers when they notice a Sport amongst their midst on some high-altitude mountain pass.

Some congratulate me on my natural skill for being able to accomplish such difficult to severe trails on open diffs. I say hogwash, my JL Sport is doing all the heavy lifting. Sure I like all the compliments, when my patrol members brag to others that I made this or that trail or obstacle running only on open diffs.

But I also humbly know my limitations. I'll either pass or stay back on the really extreme crap. This is also my daily driver after all. Which also impresses a lot of club members. Their Jeeps are pretty much all off-road playthings.

I'm quite certain that my initial mods are paying tremendous dividends, especially the higher clearance, all terrain tires, and the disconnected sway bar links. But the Brake Limited Differential (BLD) assist along with the Auto-Stick 8 speed transmission and overall JL fun factor should get all the accolades.

The Sport's capability is only rivaled by it's Rubicon cousin. Still I take a great sense of accomplishment and pride in finding myself at some wonderfully picturesque remote location with nothing but other Rubis.

Go accomplish and prove this for yourself.

Jay

IMG_20200801_200022.jpg

IMG_20200728_190158.jpg

IMG_20200901_112412.jpg

InShot_20200915_223133135.jpg

IMG_20201010_121457.jpg

IMG_20200614_132150.jpg

IMG_7689.jpg

IMG_20201010_120123.jpg

IMG_20200901_144629.jpg

IMG_20200815_125724.jpg

IMG_20200729_121025.jpg

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I have had incredible trips with LSD......

But back to the jeep, my TJ sport was pretty unstoppable in it's day. It has a limited slip rear and I could go anywhere my friends could take their 4 wheelers (this was before the super capable side by sides of today). If in doubt, remember momentum is your friend.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
a stock jl sport is a very capable jeep on the trail. i have a jl base sport and its my daily driver. my plans is to keep is plain and simple with a few mods. i have a rear bumper with tire carrier to install. will be getting a winch bumper and install a winch. my plans would be to get a set of 33s and that pretty much it. twith this set up i believe it will be a well balanced daily driver / road tripper as well as a capable trail runner.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Very capable.
at Rausch yesterday, made it through blacks without getting stuck. Not stock though. This is a poser shot.

516DAFFF-4D7B-49DE-A61B-AC32AFB0166C.jpeg

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
A stock sport will take you to places that are hard to reach. A sport with a lift and larger tires will take you to places that are harder to reach. A sport with a lift, larger tires and lockers will take you to places that are even harder to reach.

Start with some moderate trails and see where you like to go. Adjust your Jeep as needed.

Have fun. Enjoy your Jeep.

Sponsored