Sponsored

What kind of off roading is a JLU Sport S capable of?

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I've got a 2019 JLU Sport S with a manual transmission and anti-slip differential (which sounds like it wasn't a great idea). My other options like the active safety group, technology group and tow package don't seem to make a difference in off-roading. What kind of off-roading would this car be capable of? I have zero off road experience.

I'm living in northern NJ and was interested in going and trying some off roading. I'm not looking for anything crazy, no rock crawling.
Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
If you have 33s a sport S can do basically anything you have the nerve to try. I think myself and @ThirtyOne can attest to it! There might be times you wish you had lockers, but a careful line can get you up it. If you get yourself a winch you will absolutely be able to tackle everything you would be comfortable doing and plenty you probably aren't comfortable doing!

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
For reference I have an otherwise stock 2018 JLU Sport S 2.0 and did Hartnet Road in UT's Capitol Reef national park which included fording a river that submerged my side steps, complete dirt road with twists and turns and some dig in stretches that require high clearance to get through. Also did Eye of the Whale arch trail (from South to North), quite a bit of rock crawling and one steep rocky grade, and enough suspension bouncing to sheer off the bolt head connecting the hitch to my bike rack, and tried to go up to Tower Arch but got stalled by the soft fluffy sand on the uphill (I didn't have an air compressor for my tires) and had to turn back. She performed like a charm on these moderate off-road trails.

I did more stuff in UT and CA as well but all moderates with rock crawling and didn't get stuck or have any issues in performance. No winch either so I made sure to be careful of what adventures I chose. I'd recommend carrying a shovel with you, and hitting the gym and working deadlifts also...Why? On one occasion a massive rock clump was in my way in a very narrow corridor and I had to get out and move it enough (heavy asf, didn't throw out my back hence the gym) so I can wheel onto the side earth wall of a wash and scratch through it. You never know what's in your way on trails no matter how much you've researched it. As long as you are prepared and with some problem solving and wheeling skills, you can get through most things.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I've got a 2019 JLU Sport S with a manual transmission and anti-slip differential (which sounds like it wasn't a great idea). My other options like the active safety group, technology group and tow package don't seem to make a difference in off-roading. What kind of off-roading would this car be capable of? I have zero off road experience.

I'm living in northern NJ and was interested in going and trying some off roading. I'm not looking for anything crazy, no rock crawling.
I am in the same boat. This is my daily driver. Never off-roaded before. If I destroy my Jeep I'm screwed. However, the call to get off-road is hard to ignore. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right and not risking my ride. I have a spacer lift and 33s (want to get 35s when these need to be replaced). I'm going to do some beach driving this summer but I have a feeling that won't satisfy me. I wish there were YouTubers that showed the real limitations of a sport.

Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I am in the same boat. This is my daily driver. Never off-roaded before. If I destroy my Jeep I'm screwed. However, the call to get off-road is hard to ignore. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right and not risking my ride. I have a spacer lift and 33s (want to get 35s when these need to be replaced). I'm going to do some beach driving this summer but I have a feeling that won't satisfy me. I wish there were YouTubers that showed the real limitations of a sport.
Unfortunately its quite a drive for you, but you could make a mini vacation out of it and stay up in the area. There are 101 courses at Rausch Creek in PA that are great for beginners. Its tailored around stock vehicles and will help give you an idea of what your jeep is capable of. At the end it leaves you wanting more.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Sad part is the Wranger Sport is underrated by....other Jeepers. All newer Wranglers have brake lock differential (BLD). No, it's not a locker like a Rubicon (even though Rubicons also have BLD), it's kind of like traction control for off road and it actually works quite well. There's no button to push, it's always on in 4x4 and will apply the brake to a wheel if it starts to spin and transfer the torque to the wheels with traction. That alone makes it more capable than a lot of off road vehicles that don't have it.

Think of the limitations of your stock sport as kind of a safety net. The smaller less grippy stock tires won't get enough traction to break parts. The center of gravity is low so it will more stable and less likely to roll over in a bad situation. The break over angle is OK, but shallow enough that you will know not to try to go over an obstacle that might be outside your expertise. Just because you don't have oversize tires doens't mean you can't air down either. Airing down the stock tire to 15 psi is pretty safe and you will have a smoother ride and get better traction and it doesn't cost anything other than a cheap air compressor to air back up.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been wheeling for 20 years, had 2 rubicons (both modified) 2 TJ sports and now a JLUS. I wheeled my JLUS stock, except for 33”s and rock sliders for almost a year before modifying it extensively. Stock the JLUS can wheel Raush Creek greens easily and some blues if you pick your lines well. They are very capable rigs.

I would consider rocker gaurds/sliders (I like the LOD signature series) because the rockers in the JL are pretty exposed and damage easily.

HTH

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
The difference between a sport and rubi, all else being equal (tire size, ride height, disconnected front ARB), is pretty small.

20 years ago a 4x4 with open diffs could get stuck in small ruts if you went across them at the wrong angle. That’s just not the case anymore with traction control (Jeep calls it Brake Lock Differential). All wranglers have this and it works well enough for most terrain. There are limitations of course, the system will only send so much torque to the wheel with traction before giving up. It can also hesitate and roll backwards a bit which can get hairy on really crazy obstacles. But that only becomes apparent on trails where I would think twice about taking a $40k daily driver in the first place.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

ive taken my sport up things that alot of people say it wont beable to do. its all about good placement and throttle control. my only recommendation swapping the transfercase and gears. thats all. hers my Sport with the limited slip dana44 rear axle. in the middle of the broken arrow trail in sedona,az. even with the tint managed the staircase with just a little belly rub. i do have rubicon take off suspension and tires though but with the RTT, steel bumpers and all my gear its only like 1" / 3/4" lift from stock sport height.

IMG_6676.JPG

Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
ive taken my sport up things that alot of people say it wont beable to do. its all about good placement and throttle control. my only recommendation swapping the transfercase and gears. thats all. hers my Sport with the limited slip dana44 rear axle. in the middle of the broken arrow trail in sedona,az. even with the tint managed the staircase with just a little belly rub. i do have rubicon take off suspension and tires though but with the RTT, steel bumpers and all my gear its only like 1" / 3/4" lift from stock sport height.
I know you are replying to the OP and he said he had a manual transmission. But for anyone else reading this, if you have an auto, you don’t need to worry about the transfer case or gearing if you have 33s or 35s. It will crawl just fine in 4lo. Manual is a different story.

And those falken MTs are super under rated. They are miles better than KO2s. So if you can find rubi take offs with those tires it is worth it to spend a bit more or drive a bit further to get them.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I know you are replying to the OP and he said he had a manual transmission. But for anyone else reading this, if you have an auto, you don’t need to worry about the transfer case or gearing if you have 33s or 35s. It will crawl just fine in 4lo. Manual is a different story.

And those falken MTs are super under rated. They are miles better than KO2s. So if you can find rubi take offs with those tires it is worth it to spend a bit more or drive a bit further to get them.
100% correct. the 8 speed auto is fantastic with the sport setup and much easier to handle when wheeling. thanks for clarifying that. i am in a 6 speed myself and its a blast. i wouldn't change it at all except they should be putting 3.73 gears in from jeep

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a base sport with a rubicon suspension, 33’s, a manual transmission and the LSD. Every time I hit the trails I push the boundaries a bit more and each time it blows me away what this thing can do. I’ve been wheeling for a long time, had lots of Jeeps ( CJ’s XJ’s WJ’s ) and the modern wrangler ( JK and JL ) are no joke in stock form. OP, get yourself some sliders and go have some fun.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
100% correct. the 8 speed auto is fantastic with the sport setup and much easier to handle when wheeling. thanks for clarifying that. i am in a 6 speed myself and its a blast. i wouldn't change it at all except they should be putting 3.73 gears in from jeep
I think 3.73 gears would be the sweet spot for the manual and 33’s. Even so the 3.45’s are just fine. I love my 6 speed and would never trade for the auto.
Sponsored