Sponsored

What kind of off roading is a JLU Sport S capable of?

KrisEdward

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport S
2020 JLU Sport S has taken me wherever I was willing to go the passed three months in Socal. 1st Jeep but not my first 4x4. Compared to my old setup (F150 FX4), the Jeep's agility, transfer case, break over angle, width, and weight all add up to much more confident and enjoyable off road experience.
The most stock set up with crew by far but not the least capable. Best friend has a heavily moded JK Rubicon that we've been going out on trails with for years. Though I found rock crawling fun with that Jeep, the breaks, repairs, and damage have all let me know what the limitations are my stock set up.
No significant mods beside my friend offering me his Sahara Bridgestone Duellers. Nothing huge planned beside Rubicon takeoff shocks (owned not yet installed and 33's). As my daily driver, I really gotta consider my commute.
Depending on the trails you're looking to explore, I feel the Sport S is more then capable. Just gotta learn your limitations. Explored all over Big Bear and the passed few weeks and have really enjoyed learning what stock is capable of, but understand the pros lift/tires will provide. Sorry for the long answer. Have fun out there.
20200203_102050.jpg
Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
ive taken my sport up things that alot of people say it wont beable to do. its all about good placement and throttle control. my only recommendation swapping the transfercase and gears. thats all. hers my Sport with the limited slip dana44 rear axle. in the middle of the broken arrow trail in sedona,az. even with the tint managed the staircase with just a little belly rub. i do have rubicon take off suspension and tires though but with the RTT, steel bumpers and all my gear its only like 1" / 3/4" lift from stock sport height.

IMG_6676.JPG
Do you have the EZ Rack for the RotoPax? I have it and love it with a 2G fuel and 1G water.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Do you have the EZ Rack for the RotoPax? I have it and love it with a 2G fuel and 1G water.
i built my rotopax mount off my tire carrier from EAG. worked out great. when i did this i couldnt find the ez mount when i was ordering the rear bumper. i have debated going with the ez strap for the rotopax so i can have 2.5 gallon of fresh water aswell though

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

OUOF7059.JPG

OYVR1074.JPG

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
I am in the same boat. This is my daily driver. Never off-roaded before. If I destroy my Jeep I'm screwed. However, the call to get off-road is hard to ignore. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right and not risking my ride. I have a spacer lift and 33s (want to get 35s when these need to be replaced). I'm going to do some beach driving this summer but I have a feeling that won't satisfy me. I wish there were YouTubers that showed the real limitations of a sport.
I'm sure there are some jeep clubs around you. Here's a club from Northern Virginia https://forum.novajeepers.com/index.php . They hit some places within 2hrs or so from you that would be perfect.

Sponsored

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
cool. maybe as the weather gets nicer i'll try to get some friends up for a ride to that place in the Pine Barrens or Rausch Creek.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
It’s still one of the most capable offroad vehicles you can buy... my sahara jk did everything I wanted, the rubicon just can do ridiculous things... always wheel with another vehicle... no matter how capable driver and vehicle is you will eventually get stuck.. my first time getting stuck was solo and had to hike 18 miles back to a road... luckily someone picked ya up 8 miles I to the hike...

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
i built my rotopax mount off my tire carrier from EAG. worked out great. when i did this i couldnt find the ez mount when i was ordering the rear bumper. i have debated going with the ez strap for the rotopax so i can have 2.5 gallon of fresh water aswell though

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

OUOF7059.JPG

OYVR1074.JPG
Nice! Can you still open the back? Looks like it’s right up at it.

I like the EZ Rack, it stays in place and with the RC Spare Tire Relocation Bracket installed I can still open the back latch with a 1G water fill on that side.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

yea opens up with no issues at all.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I am in the same boat. This is my daily driver. Never off-roaded before. If I destroy my Jeep I'm screwed. However, the call to get off-road is hard to ignore. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right and not risking my ride. I have a spacer lift and 33s (want to get 35s when these need to be replaced). I'm going to do some beach driving this summer but I have a feeling that won't satisfy me. I wish there were YouTubers that showed the real limitations of a sport.
Are you in any of the RVA jeep groups? I just joined the RVA City Wranglerz...I'm in the same boat now lol....DId you get on any trails yet?

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Are you in any of the RVA jeep groups? I just joined the RVA City Wranglerz...I'm in the same boat now lol....DId you get on any trails yet?
Nice! I haven't really looked into joining any groups yet. Most I've done is beach driving in the obx. I'm close to installing a new lift and after that I plan to do that 101 course at rausch creek in pa.
Are you planning on doing any trails soon?

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Nice! I haven't really looked into joining any groups yet. Most I've done is beach driving in the obx. I'm close to installing a new lift and after that I plan to do that 101 course at rausch creek in pa.
You’ll have a blast at Raush. I usually go there every other month sometimes more. You’ll be able to handle anything up to 99% of the blue trails. I don’t do anything crazy as this is my daily as well. I got the rough country 2.5” budget boost and sitting on 35’s. The 3rd pic I was still stock and did a couple blues that day

CDC713D2-C657-4742-8BF0-696377EFA0C0.jpeg

054F59BA-F49F-4982-9A07-EF5FC0B903AF.jpeg

97768EA0-9292-4E62-B2BE-73F8B49515B2.jpeg

62A53E5D-A687-4034-A1A9-754A79E02762.jpeg

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at the course too! when are you going? I haven't done any trails yet.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
You’ll have a blast at Raush. I usually go there every other month sometimes more. You’ll be able to handle anything up to 99% of the blue trails. I don’t do anything crazy as this is my daily as well. I got the rough country 2.5” budget boost and sitting on 35’s. The 3rd pic I was still stock and did a couple blues that day

Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off roading is a JLU Sport S capable of? 62A53E5D-A687-4034-A1A9-754A79E02762

Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off roading is a JLU Sport S capable of? 62A53E5D-A687-4034-A1A9-754A79E02762

sweeeeeet!!!!!

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I was looking at the course too! when are you going? I haven't done any trails yet.
I'm not sure yet man. Would love to go with some people from here whenever I can. I'm hoping in the spring. I need to get my lift kit installed and then I'll be ready to roll (when the wife and I can agree on a day for me to be gone, probably an overnight trip for new).
When are you trying to go?
Sponsored