Sponsored

What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara?

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Finances were tight when I was forced to do a lease on a stock JLU, with all season tires. Regardless of what kind of tire it is, to get the best performance you must always air down to 12 to 15 PSI disconnect your swaybar links.This will increase comfort, ride, and off roading ability by at least 30%. No one says it's fast to air down all the tires. Get a 19 mm wrench set disconnect your swaybar links each time you hit the trail, but it's easy, and FREE. I did it for a year, slowly driving to the nearest gas station to air back up at the end of the day. Hint just practice disconnecting the links in your garage, driveway before hitting the trail, After the 1st year I spent $100 for a portable legit air compressor,
(Amazon)and a quick disconnect system for $140.00. (Northridge 4x4) Which I easily installed myself in a couple hours and then took off and gave to a friend when the lease ended. Don't think you're limited to sand or dirt you could do moderate rock climbing if you choose your lines correctly. 100 times better to be a skilled driver in a stock Sahara, than a Weekend Warrior without a clue in a Rubicon. Live in SoCal me too.. Check out Alltrails vids on YouTube many to choose from. For legit wheeling pointers watch Kevin and Britney with their Lite Brite channel on YouTube. Britney picks the best lines of anyone I know and her husband Kevin is the best at wheeling up those lines. You will learn a ton. , learn your lines! Get your wife or kids involved, They can learn how to pick the lines for you. A good spotter is a must when you're starting out as a novelist. Good luck and have fun
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
A good spotter is a must when you're starting out as a novelist. Good luck and have fun
I'll keep this in mind if I become a writer. Never crossed my mind that I would need a spotter to write my first novel. Kinda makes sense. Can easily pick a wrong line when starting to write novels, I mean story lines.

Just messing around. I am sure you meant novice. Damn autocorrect. Great pointers here, although not sure I would drop pressure below 18 for the stock 31.5 inch tires.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I'll keep this in mind if I become a writer. Never crossed my mind that I would need a spotter to write my first novel. Kinda makes sense. Can easily pick a wrong line when starting to write novels, I mean story lines.

Just messing around. I am sure you meant novice. Damn autocorrect. Great pointers here, although not sure I would drop pressure below 18 for the stock 31.5 inch tires.
Criticism taken, Mind you I was sitting in the cab of my work truck on my lunch break. Wrote that on my smartphone without my glasses. Just trying to help a guy out. Add a year experience with the same situation you come back criticize my writing and then 2nd guess my PSI suggestion. And I QUOTE "not sure" From my experience My suggestions were based on factual wheeling adventures in my stock wrangler with all season 31s. 31s once were the 35s of today's world for a long time. Your ignorance, (not knowing). As an example an example only. Watch the following video. 31s air down to 6 psi on a bone stock Wrangler. Demonstrated by [Banned Site], one of the industry leaders in the Wrangler Community.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
As an example an example only. Watch the following video. 31s air down to 6 psi on a bone stock Wrangler.
I'm always interested in seeing this in action, and I occasionally watch that guy's videos. To be fair to his video, he was driving straight out of some sand then he aired back up. To go to 6psi while wheeling would invite popping the tire bead off of the wheel, and that is hard to deal with on the trail. I don't know what the limit is for realistic wheeling, I've read that people take the Rubicon KO2 tires down to 16 psi. When I've been wheeling I typically just go down to 20 and call it good. I would like to know what the safe limit is just in case I accidentally or intentionally get there someday. It would be inconvenient to be airing down and then think maybe you had to get the compressor out and air back up a little bit for safety. And I'm not one of the rich jeepers that has air available at the touch of a switch.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Criticism taken, Mind you I was sitting in the cab of my work truck on my lunch break. Wrote that on my smartphone without my glasses. Just trying to help a guy out. Add a year experience with the same situation you come back criticize my writing and then 2nd guess my PSI suggestion. And I QUOTE "not sure" From my experience My suggestions were based on factual wheeling adventures in my stock wrangler with all season 31s. 31s once were the 35s of today's world for a long time. Your ignorance, (not knowing). As an example an example only. Watch the following video. 31s air down to 6 psi on a bone stock Wrangler. Demonstrated by [Banned Site], one of the industry leaders in the Wrangler Community.
the first one was intended as a joke. i thought it was funny you said novelist.

The second one is just a word of caution. i know he dropped pressure to 6 psi to get unstuck. if you run too low pressure you risk getting the tire out of the bead. the stock being 31.5 on a 17in rim, 12 PSI might be a little too low.

Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I'm always interested in seeing this in action, and I occasionally watch that guy's videos. To be fair to his video, he was driving straight out of some sand then he aired back up. To go to 6psi while wheeling would invite popping the tire bead off of the wheel, and that is hard to deal with on the trail. I don't know what the limit is for realistic wheeling, I've read that people take the Rubicon KO2 tires down to 16 psi. When I've been wheeling I typically just go down to 20 and call it good. I would like to know what the safe limit is just in case I accidentally or intentionally get there someday. It would be inconvenient to be airing down and then think maybe you had to get the compressor out and air back up a little bit for safety. And I'm not one of the rich jeepers that has air available at the touch of a switch.
And if you read my 2nd response I said "merely as an example" I know he was on sand. It was an example showing you can air way down on stock rims and tires and not pop a bead. Wasn't saying 5-8 PSI for all the trails. And if you pay attention to the video rather than quick to critique. You would hear his example wasn't just the beach sand but the sands found in the "Southern California desert washes" where this gentleman would be wheeling his Sahara, it also is "effective for snow". Southern California has a lot of great places to wheel in the snow, in season. We are coming into soon. Run your 20PSI if that's what you're comfortable with. True experienced wheelers do not use 20 PSI. If you read my original response for over one year on all season 31s I would typically air down anywhere between between 12 to 15 PSI. Never a mishap, never popping a bead, never slicing a sidewall. Mind you you must keep your eyes on the trail always observing rocks with sharp edges and any other logs ect. that may cause damage to your weaker sidewalls. Without true beadtlocks I don't care what style, size, make, or brand popping a bead exists all the time. Popping a beat isn't the end of the world that's why you carry a spare, And if you're off road I'm sure you know this.... carry blocks of wood, traction boards, or the extended platform, ("both found on Amazon") underneath your OEM scissor lift for better surface area uneven train and height. I also had thousands of hours on ATV's and learned a lot about tires PSi's, and side walls. I incorporated some of that experience right into my Jeep Wrangler while wheeling on the trails.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

the first one was intended as a joke. i thought it was funny you said novelist.

The second one is just a word of caution. i know he dropped pressure to 6 psi to get unstuck. if you run too low pressure you risk getting the tire out of the bead. the stock being 31.5 on a 17in rim, 12 PSI might be a little too low.
Tried, did, and proven,your wrong! You are just fearful, You might as well leave your spare at home while wheeling on the trail it doesn't sound like that is a option for you. Pop a bead isn't the end of the world. Only if you fear. Which you clearly exhibit.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tried, did, and proven,your wrong! You are just fearful, You might as well leave your spare at home while wheeling on the trail it doesn't sound like that is a option for you. Pop a bead isn't the end of the world. Only if you fear. Which you clearly exhibit.
ok sure. i am wrong. naked and afraid.

Sponsored

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Would love to join in my new rubicon. I did one of the challenging portions of the Indian truck trail in my wife’s Sahara. The Jeep was not ready for it but it was a good challenge. Wife was scared though. Beat the underside pretty good and did a little damage to the rear bumper.

We could not find any info on this portion of the trail we came down.
what app was that you were using?

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
I don't have a Sahara, but I'm sure it will take you about any where you want to go. We took a rental kia Sorento out on some trails in AZ. The pink jeep tours didn't seem happy when they were out jeeping and a rental suv came the other way.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
This is the size I wound up going with. Got my stimulus check and used it on a set of 5 Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus.

I would have gone with 275/70R18 if I had money left over for a taser to go with em. Otherwise I didn't want to drive for a while without recalibrating the speedo.
You should get OBD Jscan app, bypass wires and wify OBD2 connector. About $70 -80 total with one car license.
Can do 80% of what full version j scan can.

Look for used wheels and tires.
Sponsored