Sponsored

What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I actually really like the current MOAB rims. That is part of the reason I ordered a 21. I did not like the JK Willys rims at all. Among other things I didn’t want rims that I would be changing out right away if they changed them for 22.
Man the MOAB itself would have been perfect for me. They were just a bit to expensive, lol. I will seriously consider a Willy's for my next Jeep if a Rubi is going to be too pricy.
Sponsored

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
Man the MOAB itself would have been perfect for me. They were just a bit to expensive, lol. I will seriously consider a Willy's for my next Jeep if a Rubi is going to be too pricy.
The trails that I do fall right in the Willys wheelhouse. Lockers and disconnects would probably never get used other than using them just to say that I used them. I don’t need power windows or doors to hang in the garage for half the year so the Willys Sport is perfect for me.

tomslusher

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2002 Wrangler X
The secret is in not telling the rental company that you plan to take it off-road.

Just don't get STUCK! 😫
But couldn't they track you like I can do on my Rubicon? Also, if something did happen, wouldn't they throw the book at you?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
But couldn't they track you like I can do on my Rubicon? Also, if something did happen, wouldn't they throw the book at you?
Probably just pay an extra fee.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That’s why I said “don’t get stuck.”

They will give you grief only if they find out.

Sponsored

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Did you rent the Jeeps from something like AVIS or Budget? I was going to rent a Jeep in Denver from them but they said you can't even take it off highway, meaning not even a gravel road.

I did find a private party that rents jeep for off roading for about $150 a day.
Yeah. We rented from Payless. I think Avis owns them. They never told me I couldn’t take it off road. Maybe it was in the contract somewhere. I washed it good before I brought it back!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. We rented from Payless. I think Avis owns them.
So, is Payless cheaper because...they don’t have to try as hard...? 😫

Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara? 1631730403242

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
If you stay on open marked and designated city, county, US Forest or BLM dirt roads and trails these are in fact official roads and not off roading according to the majority of insurance companies and under legal standings. But if you leave official roads/trails then you are considered “off roading”

Here is a fun fact. The Rubicon trail is considered a official county road and thus is not off roading as long as you stay on the designated trail.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I would like to do some light off-roading just to get a taste of what the Jeep is capable of.
Get a compressor so that you can air down and air up again.
Use a rechargeable battery for the compressor to avoid using the Jeep's battery
Best to go out with somebody just in case.

I have been out with another Jeeper who had a 2 door Sahara with street tyres and he went all the places that we went.

Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Jeeps are SUPER capable stock, at all trim levels.

Not my JL, but.... bone stock in my old JK Sport in SoCal...

Berdoo Canyon - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/berdoo-canyon

Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara? 8351460467_e6413bf608_k

Liebre Mountain - https://funtreks.com/off-road-trails/liebre-mountain/

Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara? 8706896104_0cc0c317fb_c

Mojave Road - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/nevada/the-mojave-road (this gets really remote, take extra water/fuel and either a friend or sat comms)
I recommend this guidebook: https://www.amazon.com/Mojave-Road-Guide-Adventure-Through/dp/0914224379

Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara? 7111522761_974e6c1261_c

Calico - 20 Mule Team Road, plus a lot of side roads to get to good rock hounding sites
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/phillips-loop-trail

Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara? 8705738759_38958c836f_c

I drove the JK that way, with regular street tires, for nearly a full year before I started adding bumpers and lift and actual off-road tires.

Your stock Sahara can go a ton of places, especially here in SoCal.

Other starter trails to check out...

Willow Creek Jeep Trail - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/willow-creek-jeep-trail (easy, scenic, sometimes has water crossings)
Sierra Pelona - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/sierra-pelona-road
Cleghorn - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/cleghorn-ridge-trail (Be mindful on this that some of the side trails can get quite difficult, but not impossible for a stock vehicle if you choose good lines. But you can't back out of some offshoots once you get on them, so maybe don't make this your FIRST time off road)
Monache Meadows - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/monache-meadows-jeep-road (a bit farther away and a small step up from gentle forest roads, but great camping)
Old Dale Road - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/old-dale-road

Most of the trails I mentioned are on the easier side, to build up comfort levels and get a feel for your Jeep. But with good skills and a good spotter (and preferably traveling with other jeeps), you can take a stock Jeep on stuff more advanced than these.

And I definitely agree about getting recovery gear before mods, too. Tow strap, CB or GMRS radio, shovel, first aid kit, sat-messenger (if going solo or very remote), etc.

Get out there and enjoy your Jeep! :D

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Well you can either take it to the Sahara or to the mall.

Just kidding. A Sahara JL is a very capable vehicle. And yes it can "crawl" with proper skill, rock sliders and disconnected sway bar you would be very impressed by its capabilities.

If you are not bottoming out, you are not challenging yourself or the vehicle at all. Very very easy to hit the skid plates on a 4 door stock. My 2 door on rubicon suspension and tires and I constantly scratch the skids. If I don't touch the underbelly skids, then I know I am not remotely near its full capabilities and definitely on an easy trail that requires no skill. I knew I pushed it the moment I smashed the bottom of my front bumper on a rock lol. Oh and getting home and seeing a huge dent on one of my rock sliders. But trust me, takes a lot more than you think to get the Jeep to that point and my Jeep is still pristine.

You should
1) scratch a skid
2) lift a tire

Then you'll know your Jeep is happy!

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Yeah. We rented from Payless. I think Avis owns them. They never told me I couldn’t take it off road. Maybe it was in the contract somewhere. I washed it good before I brought it back!
Same.
Never a problem, never got stuck. Good wash before return.
But I know somewhere in the fine print it would disallow off pavement driving.

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
As someone who has owned many Saharas and Rubicons over the years: don’t get rid of your sides steps just yet.

Sahara sidesteps get little respect in Wrangler circles: they are ugly, they are plastic, they are big, they are for girls, etc. And a lot of Sahara owners end up throwing them away.

The fact is those sidesteps are tough as nails. I’ve had mine absorb hard blows many times. Because they stick out to the sides, they provide excellent side protection from anything ranging from other people's vehicle doors, to wandering shopping carts, to flying rock and debris lifted by your own tires, to defending the side of the Jeep when you slide onto a rock or a tree. Actually, I think of them as side bumpers. Often times you don’t realize how much protection those side steps offered until they are gone.

Another fact a lot of people forget is that the Rubicon rock rails and Sahara side steps mount in exactly the same way to exactly the same spots —onto the pinch seams. So when it boils down to it, in 80% to 90% of instances, both offer roughly the same amount of “rock” protection. Rock rails just look more “butch” doing it.
The Sahara side steps get so little love for what they are actually capable of. I swapped my side steps for Roam frame mounted steps right away, and was a bit disappointed when I could tell that the Roam steps had more flex than the plastic Sahara steps.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I helped my friends with their Jeep tour company this summer. You follow a guide and can either rent a Jeep from them or bring your own.

We had a client with a bone stock 4xe Sahara and 31” all seasons. Only got stuck at the most technical portion of the trail. Stock Sports on ATs also get stuck there. Stack rocks and all is well.

Very impressed with what a stock non-Rubicon Wrangler can do.
Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara? 69E8594A-9D98-4B55-A486-F196DC85CB08
Sponsored