Sponsored

What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara?

OP
OP
SoCal JLUS

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

As someone who has owned many Saharas and Rubicons over the years: don’t get rid of your sides steps just yet.

Sahara sidesteps get little respect in Wrangler circles: they are ugly, they are plastic, they are big, they are for girls, etc. And a lot of Sahara owners end up throwing them away.

The fact is those sidesteps are tough as nails. I’ve had mine absorb hard blows many times. Because they stick out to the sides, they provide excellent side protection from anything ranging from other people's vehicle doors, to wandering shopping carts, to flying rock and debris lifted by your own tires, to defending the side of the Jeep when you slide onto a rock or a tree. Actually, I think of them as side bumpers.

Another fact a lot of people forget is that the Rubicon rock rails and Sahara side steps mount in exactly the same way to exactly the same spots —onto the pinch seams. So when it boils down to it, in 80% to 90% of instances, both offer roughly the same amount of “rock” protection. Rock rails just look more butch doing it.
I agree with the protection the Sahara ones offer. I was wondering if the steel Rock Rails can be easily installed when off-roading and then the stock ones reinstalled when not. Is that too much work or will something get weakened if done too many times?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the protection the Sahara ones offer. I was wondering if the steel Rock Rails can be easily installed when off-roading and then the stock ones reinstalled when not. Is that too much work or will something get weakened if done too many times?
They are relatively easy to swap. But I wouldn’t bother to be honest. I’d pick one or the other and stick with it.

I’d much rather spend the money on better tires than on rock rails.

Personally, I’d keep the sidesteps. Think of them as your training wheels...

OP
OP
SoCal JLUS

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

They are relatively easy to swap. But I wouldn’t bother to be honest. I’d pick one or the other and stick with it.

I’d much rather spend the money on better tires than on rock rails.

Personally, I’d keep the sidesteps. Think of them as your training wheels...
Food for thought, thanks for the input!

jrocker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
My daughter followed me up Yankee Boy Basin last month, in her bone stock Sahara.
The limiting factor was her. Not the Jeep.
We reached a point where she had caressed the undercarriage with a bit of granite, and her comfort level was breached. So, we turned around.
That's actually the approach I've taken on every trail, whether in the lifted Subaru or in the Rubi. If it's a two way trail and it gets too hairy, I can always turn around.
I can tell you, though. That stock Sahara could have gone a lot further up if someone with a bit more trail time had been behind the wheel.

tomslusher

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2002 Wrangler X
We rented a stock Sahara while on vacation in Arizona. We did Schnebly Hill and Table Mesa, both Jeep Badge of honor trails. We didn’t bottom out at any point.
0672EBB0-B21B-418F-96E5-C905AFDCA07E.jpeg

4C990263-85BF-42E4-8E06-A76E84CFEA4B.jpeg
Did you rent the Jeeps from something like AVIS or Budget? I was going to rent a Jeep in Denver from them but they said you can't even take it off highway, meaning not even a gravel road.

I did find a private party that rents jeep for off roading for about $150 a day.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I have a Sahara Altitude that I picked up in July. I've taken it to our local off-road park (Northwest OHV) 3 times. First time, we were supposed to stay on greens and blues but got off track and onto some reds. My Sahara got beat up a little, and rubbed a lot on the bottom, but otherwise, it handled everything just fine - held up with Rubicons sporting 37s in a few places.

You'll be pleasantly surprised at how capable a stock Sahara really is. I picked up a few recovery basics before I went out:
1. VIAIR portable compressor
2. Recovery kit (straps, etc)
3. handheld GMRS radios

Air down to ~18 psi, disconnect your sway bar links (18mm and 19mm wrenches + some zip ties) and have fun, man.

Yes, a lift and bigger/knobbier tires will help, but you can do A LOT on the stock setup, my friend.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Sahara Altitude that I picked up in July. I've taken it to our local off-road park (Northwest OHV) 3 times. First time, we were supposed to stay on greens and blues but got off track and onto some reds. My Sahara got beat up a little, and rubbed a lot on the bottom, but otherwise, it handled everything just fine - held up with Rubicons sporting 37s in a few places.

You'll be pleasantly surprised at how capable a stock Sahara really is. I picked up a few recovery basics before I went out:
1. VIAIR portable compressor
2. Recovery kit (straps, etc)
3. handheld GMRS radios

Air down to ~18 psi, disconnect your sway bar links (18mm and 19mm wrenches + some zip ties) and have fun, man.

Yes, a lift and bigger/knobbier tires will help, but you can do A LOT on the stock setup, my friend.
...or get a pair of Quick Disconnects for $166 https://www.quadratec.com/p/jks-man...ker-disconnects-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt

It takes literally 90 seconds to disconnect and reconnect the sway bar.
Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara? 1631723925352

Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara? 1631724122887

Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara? 1631724151655

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It's coming up on fall and the temperatures in the Mojave desert will drop to something more tolerable soon. The Mojave has many great exploration types of trails. I recommend you search for some books on exploring the Mojave desert. The trails are generally easy and a stock jeep would do well on the overwhelming majority of them.

The "Mojave Trail" (or Mojave Road) is one of the easy trails running from roughly Barstow to a point near Needles. I've ridden this a few times on horseback and most of it is a two-track road and some long stretches are graded road out by Cima Dome and Landfair.

A day trip out to Kelso is an easy one. Good roads and you'll see the train depot the park service spent millions to restore, that gets dozens of visitors a year.

Another day trip would be exploring Afton canyon, about 40-50 miles east of Barstow on the I-15. Kind of a small "Grand Canyon". You can drive from one end to the other. It's a lot of sand and airing down would be required. bring that compressor.

There's a nice little day trip to a thing people are calling the Mojave Megaphone. It's a rifle scope shaped steel sculpture on top of a hill of rocks. It's been there for at least 25 years that I know of. It's a sandy trail about 20 miles north of Ludlow on Crucero road. It is marked on Google Maps.
Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of off-roading can I do in a stock JLU Sahara? DSC05964

I highly recommend bringing standard survival water/food, tools, recovery gear and traveling with another vehicle, if possible. A tire patch and plug kit, along with a small air compressor should be part of that.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who has owned many Saharas and Rubicons over the years: don’t get rid of your sides steps just yet.

Sahara sidesteps get little respect in Wrangler circles: they are ugly, they are plastic, they are big, they are for girls, etc. And a lot of Sahara owners end up throwing them away.

The fact is those sidesteps are tough as nails. I’ve had mine absorb hard blows many times. Because they stick out to the sides, they provide excellent side protection from anything ranging from other people's vehicle doors, to wandering shopping carts, to flying rock and debris lifted by your own tires, to defending the side of the Jeep when you slide onto a rock or a tree. Actually, I think of them as side bumpers. Often times you don’t realize how much protection those side steps offered until they are gone.

Another fact a lot of people forget is that the Rubicon rock rails and Sahara side steps mount in exactly the same way to exactly the same spots —onto the pinch seams. So when it boils down to it, in 80% to 90% of instances, both offer roughly the same amount of “rock” protection. Rock rails just look more “butch” doing it.
I have to agree... my steps haven't exploded yet, nor have they gotten hung up on anything.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
The Willys is a good option for off road capabilities that fall between the Sahara and Rubicon. You get the LSD, rock rails, upgraded brakes and shocks along with MT tires instead of the all season or all terrains. The regular Willys provides the creature comforts while the sport is bare bones.

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Willys is a good option for off road capabilities that fall between the Sahara and Rubicon. You get the LSD, rock rails, upgrades brakes and shocks along with MT tires instead of the all season or all terrains. The regular Willys provides the creature comforts while the sport is bare bones.
Not to mention the 17" wheels have better tire options for future upgrades. (if you're the type to keep the factory wheels)

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
Not to mention the 17" wheels have better tire options for future upgrades. (if you're the type to keep the factory wheels)
I actually really like the current MOAB rims. That is part of the reason I ordered a 21. I did not like the JK Willys rims at all. Among other things I didn’t want rims that I would be changing out right away if they changed them for 22.
Sponsored