Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The Plan, Buy a JLUR, and then offroad all the western states from Arizona to Alaska. Put the Jeep behind our motorhome, park in Arizona, use the Jeep to explore the area, when we get bored, move the Motorhome and Jeep to the next area/state. Spend about five years offroading and when it gets cold, put the Jeep and Motorhome in storage and spend the winters in Thailand with one of our friends. Goals are to drink free brewed coffee above the tree line in the mountains as the sun comes up. So we will also camp away from the motorhome.

I have had a Jeep in the past. A lifted TJ. I have dirt biked, ATVed, snowmobiled and still run a SxS down the trails. My wife and I have been doing trails for 30 or so years and love being outside. Some of our best memories are from offroading. Met many great people over the years and even had my kids riding dirt bike at the age of 3 on the trails in northern Michigan. So the TJ was sold many years ago...

I was about 3 years from retirement and stumbled upon the JK Experience Alaska video on Youtube. I was hooked. Had the wife watch it and said, this is what we should do in retirement. We started watching all kinds of Youtube videos. We usually sit around on Saturday morning and watch Jeep offroad videos while drinking our coffee. Are you guys listening....My wife will and gets excited watching Jeep offroad videos.... I am a lucky guy. So she was all in and I was all In. I started putting money in an investment account for the downpayment on a Rubicon.

We wanted a Jeep more capable than we needed and I plan to build it up and then use 70% of the vehicle capacity. Trying to help ensure that my wife and I do not walk 60 miles out of the mountain.

I had the tires, wheels, front bumper, winch, portable air, tool box/tools, side armour/steps bought before I ordered the JLUR. I retired in Sept. of 2018. Ordered the JLUR just the way I wanted it. Used this site to help negotiate a sweet deal by the way. Still waiting to put the lift on, and the rear bumper. Fuck it is cold here.

Anyways, goals are being met, motorhome, aluminum trail, and JLUR is just about done. We have two more years to sort everything out for our plan and the wife to retire. Then we are off.

49348964_226413781600798_8236226601902145536_n (1).jpg
Well the Jeep is all sorted out since I posted this a couple years ago. The ATV, SxS, Motorhome and aluminum trailer have all been sold. I bought a small camper and have been traveling the US, chasing badges and preparing to wheel all the western states up to Dead Horse Alaska. Leaving Jan 1st 2022. My wife is less than 90 days to retirement. In the last 12 months, July of 20 to now, we have been in 23 different states. Some States multiple times.

I would say we are a Jeep traveler kind of Jeeper.

Just so you know the goal to drink fresh brewed coffee on a mountain top was achieved. in September of 2019.

Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of Jeep owner are you? 1624617715672
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Well the Jeep is all sorted out since I posted this a couple years ago. The ATV, SxS, Motorhome and aluminum trailer have all been sold. I bought a small camper and have been traveling the US, chasing badges and preparing to wheel all the western states up to Dead Horse Alaska. Leaving Jan 1st 2022. My wife is less than 90 days to retirement. In the last 12 months, July of 20 to now, we have been in 23 different states. Some States multiple times.

I would say we are a Jeep traveler kind of Jeeper.

Just so you know the goal to drink fresh brewed coffee on a mountain top was achieved. in September of 2019.

Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of Jeep owner are you? 1624617715672
Enjoy the forthcoming adventure!

Don't forget Canada and particularly Northern BC as a ton of awesome places to explore. Also the ferry from Vancouver Island to Alaska is a good way to cover one end of the trip and get some amazing views. Or even get off in Skagway to take another loop.

We're on the same path you are; just 10 months behind timing wise. Resignation has been handed in, one year transition plan negotiated, and now the hard part starts - the countdown to freedom.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
I bought my Jeep primarily to be my retirement, convertible local driver for the Lake roads around me. I took my TJ to Camp Jeep in 2002 and did some light off-roading there, so that hook has sunk in a bit. But, I don't really want to add a big lift and monster tires. The stock Rubi's are fine by me...35's would be the biggest I would care to go. I ordered my Jeep with plastic bumpers with full intent to upgrade those, and I may add some underneath armor so when I do go off-road, my lower ground clearance won't bang up my Jeep too bad.

This plan is open to alteration once I get a few trails under my belt, however...

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
We were just on the top of Engineer Pass the other day. The Jeep is a second car/wifes car/summer toy at our house. She has wanted one forever. Since we both work mostly from home now having more of a toy fits next to the do it all F250 in the next bay. We live within sight of the Jeep trails surrounding Ouray CO and are under 3 hrs drive from Moab. I picked a Rubicon because it has and will see lots of recreational trail time. It won't get a bunch of mods because I have outgrown that. Probably get a set of 35's to run in the summer and a bumper with a winch. That will take us everywhere we need to go and maintain its all around drivability while still squeezing into the garage at the end of the day. Recreational user here.

IMG_1087.JPG

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Enjoy the forthcoming adventure!

Don't forget Canada and particularly Northern BC as a ton of awesome places to explore. Also the ferry from Vancouver Island to Alaska is a good way to cover one end of the trip and get some amazing views. Or even get off in Skagway to take another loop.

We're on the same path you are; just 10 months behind timing wise. Resignation has been handed in, one year transition plan negotiated, and now the hard part starts - the countdown to freedom.
We plan to take the Alaskan Hwy up to Alaska and take ferries back to the lower 48. We have 10 weeks slated for our travel to Alaska and back from the lower 48. We are in no hurry if we need more time, we will take it. The plan for Alaska is heading that way on July 1st of 22 and heading back to the lower 48 in the middle to end of September.

We look forward to Canada Jeep travel as well. In 2023, the goal is up the east coast to the Nova Scotia/New Foundland area and then work our way west during the summer months. Then as it gets cold, head south following the warm weather.

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Hello All. As I been slowly adding Mods to my Jeep I have been wondering Why do you build your jeep for you.
Are you a Hard core rock crawler
Maybe A Mud Bogger.
Or even a shinny Mall crawler.
Shiny mall crawler here. We've had our 2020 Recon for 14 months and it has never been driven off-road, or had the top or doors off. It's my wife's dd and she just wanted a Wrangler. She's making the $525/mo payments and I figure she can drive it however she wants. The top and doors haven't been off because where she parks at work in the city it's not a good idea to leave doors unlocked, much less not have them on at all.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
@wibornz
"We look forward to Canada Jeep travel as well. In 2023, the goal is up the east coast to the Nova Scotia/New Foundland area and then work our way west during the summer months. Then as it gets cold, head south following the warm weather."

Take 389 north out of Baie-Comeau, QC. It turns into 500 when you cross into Newfoundland-Labrador, and becomes known as the Trans-Labrador Highway. Take that into Churchill Falls then on to Happy Valley-Goose Bay. About 600 miles of dirt road. From there head southeast and follow the coast around to Blanc-Sablon, QC. About another 600 miles of combination dirt road and asphalt. Then take the ferry across the straights to St. Barbe in the top end of Newfoundland (a.k.a. The Rock), or you could just take the ferry out of Happy Valley-Goose Bay if you're into ocean voyages. Either way, come down the west side of the island ... just be awfully damned careful when you come down through The Wreck House ... get on the ferry at Port-aux-Basques and soon enough you're back in civilization :) . Should take about 3 weeks.
There's no Grizz up there but there are black bears, and the occasional polar bear has been known to stray that far south, and 'bou everywhere if you hit the migration (September/October-ish?) ... about 60,000 Barren Ground Caribou, and moose, moose, and more moose. When you get onto the island you might see the world's only population of Woodland Caribou, as well as moose and black bears.
Take a sat phone though ... there's no cell service up there ... LOL

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
@wibornz
"We look forward to Canada Jeep travel as well. In 2023, the goal is up the east coast to the Nova Scotia/New Foundland area and then work our way west during the summer months. Then as it gets cold, head south following the warm weather."

Take 389 north out of Baie-Comeau, QC. It turns into 500 when you cross into Newfoundland-Labrador, and becomes known as the Trans-Labrador Highway. Take that into Churchill Falls then on to Happy Valley-Goose Bay. About 600 miles of dirt road. From there head southeast and follow the coast around to Blanc-Sablon, QC. About another 600 miles of combination dirt road and asphalt. Then take the ferry across the straights to St. Barbe in the top end of Newfoundland (a.k.a. The Rock), or you could just take the ferry out of Happy Valley-Goose Bay if you're into ocean voyages. Either way, come down the west side of the island ... just be awfully damned careful when you come down through The Wreck House ... get on the ferry at Port-aux-Basques and soon enough you're back in civilization :) . Should take about 3 weeks.
There's no Grizz up there but there are black bears, and the occasional polar bear has been known to stray that far south, and 'bou everywhere if you hit the migration (September/October-ish?) ... about 60,000 Barren Ground Caribou, and moose, moose, and more moose. When you get onto the island you might see the world's only population of Woodland Caribou, as well as moose and black bears.
Take a sat phone though ... there's no cell service up there ... LOL
Sounds awesome. This gets me excited. We will not have a sat phone, but we will have the Garmin Inreach with us.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Still wandering here and there.

The Jeep gets me to the trails for hiking and biking, even if they are way up in hard to reach places. Places the Subaru wouldn't have made it. Then if we want, we can go explore miner's "roads" and far away places like Ouray and Moab. Which we keep going back to because there is so much to explore.

Love the Jeep.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL What kind of Jeep owner are you? 1625081076294