rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hello All. As I been slowly adding Mods to my Jeep I have been wondering Why do you build your jeep for you.
Are you a Hard core rock crawler
Maybe A Mud Bogger.
Or even a shinny Mall crawler.
I myself Have started gaining more interest in the Overland Long Distance travel on mild to medium conditions.
This year I would like to explore Canada overland maybe even get a little travel trailer for some remote camping.

Anyways just late night rambling here so If you like post a pic of your jeep and a little about why you do what you do with it.

IMG_0253 (1).JPG

IMG_0254 (1).JPG
Sponsored

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My jeep is daily driven, already have 18k miles in almost a year. It's a JLUR that is stock for now, I've done some mild wheeling so far and take it through any dirt trails I come across, also driven it through snow a couple times. I plan on adding 35s and the mopar lift with steel bumpers soon.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Honestly...its an evolving experience.

I first bought it because I wanted an anti car. Sounds silly but I was tired of worrying where I parked my BMW, or what pot hole was going to cost me $3K to replace a tire and rim. I had always wanted a JEEP and when I found out about the new JL, I knew I wanted it. The question was why? And to this day I am finding all sorts of reasons why and adding on to the JEEP and fixing it up and the reasons for doing it seem to change. First it was to have a vehicle that I could use to get places I just couldn't in a Z4 and to not worry if it got dirty or scratched or had a chip or ding. Then it became the family vehicle transporting the kid to school and football. Now...its turning into more of a recreational vehicle. Snow trips, trying out trails, etc. Each time I get in it, I want to do something else to it. The community around the JEEP also makes me aware of all the great stuff you can do with it and to it and its sort of addicting. You add one thing...thinking that might be it....but nope...something else gets added....and then something else...then you realize...wow. Why did I not do that sooner. For me...it was the Mall Crawler the first 6 months, then it started to change. I don't think I will ever go do the crazy trails but then again...this entire JEEP experience keeps morphing so I might change my mind on that too.

Fully load JLUR dual top, 35" Mopar beadlocks, 2" Mopar Lift, Mopar tailgate reinforcement, Mopar all weather floor mats, Metalclock rear adjustable track bar, SteerSmart Yeti XD adjustable front track bar (best thing ever), Dometic cfx40 with slide, GoalZero Yeti 1000, .... on the list are LOD signature rock slides, on board air, winch, and high lift jack by summer if all goes well. So still the question is why? One...I just want to. The other is...the more I feel comfortable that I am not going to destroy it the more I want to do more....and add more...but I don't know why LOL
IMG_6160.jpg

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I ask myself that question often. I bought my jeep mainly because I've always admired them from another vehicle. I'm not super outdoorsy so camping will be limited. Won't be rock crawling. I will do the occasional easy trail just because, and beach riding for the same reason. I think I mainly take comfort in the jeep's extra ability should I need it. Mildly flooded street perhaps I could get through what cars are lost in. Or something happens and I need to go off road for a short distance to get to another road, perhaps my jeep can make it while the Camry and civic cannot. That idea that I've got ac little something extra is attractive to me. I intends to slowly mod my sport over many years as time and money permit to make it more off-road capable and just more fun in general.

OP
OP
rs680

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
For Me this is my first wrangler. I have wanted one for over 30 years. I had many Cherokees and lots of Chrysler products but for some reason or another I never could get that Real Jeep. Finally I got to a point where I could buy it just for pure fun. So last spring I said it is time and I order my Fully Loaded Jeep.
Delivery day I put in the Mopar 2 inch lift and added 17 inch Pro Comp Predator rims with custom punk n highlights and 35 inch BFG K02
Then I added a LOD Bumper that I order in bare steel and hand it Line X coated. Also installed a warn winch.
Recently I have started to put together some recover product like tow straps, shackles Rope and some safety gear like a first aid kit , Roll bar mounted flashlight and fire extinguisher. Also have some Roam Side steps on there way and some OH Sh%T Handles Hope to have time to start installing this stuff. Also have some LED lights to install. Have a 20 inch light bar and 2 cube LED to install I just do not know where to put them.

I Tell you Late Nights on the computer, And Amazon and Just Jeeps Parcel keep showing up on my doorstep. LOL.
And for all its quirks I can Honestly say I love my Jeep and I love the community of jeep owners But most of all I love how we all can make our jeeps our own. No two are the exact same and I love that.

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0254 (1).JPG

Sponsored

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Day trip overlander.

In other words, I like to get out and explore for a few hours but am happy getting back to civilization at night.

Done a fair amount of obstacle for obstacle sake in younger years but don’t get the point now. Just drive around the bigger stuff, not over it.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I'm 46 and my husband is 61. He says he is too old to camp outside :giggle: and if I want to relive my glory days (Army) I'm on my own :LOL: So we like to do easy trails and just be out in nature. Nothing extreme! I don't want to break anything.

I love the fact that Jeeps are such personal vehicles. You can mod it how you want. Leave it stock. Add lights, tents, frigs, hammocks, anything your heart desires. O and lots of pretty shinies and decals!

Overall, it's nice to just have a vehicle that can go just about anywhere anytime. We have had lots of flooding and it has been such a relief being able to drive and not worry about getting stuck. Plus, it's fun too!:like:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The Plan, Buy a JLUR, and then offroad all the western states from Arizona to Alaska. Put the Jeep behind our motorhome, park in Arizona, use the Jeep to explore the area, when we get bored, move the Motorhome and Jeep to the next area/state. Spend about five years offroading and when it gets cold, put the Jeep and Motorhome in storage and spend the winters in Thailand with one of our friends. Goals are to drink free brewed coffee above the tree line in the mountains as the sun comes up. So we will also camp away from the motorhome.

I have had a Jeep in the past. A lifted TJ. I have dirt biked, ATVed, snowmobiled and still run a SxS down the trails. My wife and I have been doing trails for 30 or so years and love being outside. Some of our best memories are from offroading. Met many great people over the years and even had my kids riding dirt bike at the age of 3 on the trails in northern Michigan. So the TJ was sold many years ago...

I was about 3 years from retirement and stumbled upon the JK Experience Alaska video on Youtube. I was hooked. Had the wife watch it and said, this is what we should do in retirement. We started watching all kinds of Youtube videos. We usually sit around on Saturday morning and watch Jeep offroad videos while drinking our coffee. Are you guys listening....My wife will and gets excited watching Jeep offroad videos.... I am a lucky guy. So she was all in and I was all In. I started putting money in an investment account for the downpayment on a Rubicon.

We wanted a Jeep more capable than we needed and I plan to build it up and then use 70% of the vehicle capacity. Trying to help ensure that my wife and I do not walk 60 miles out of the mountain.

I had the tires, wheels, front bumper, winch, portable air, tool box/tools, side armour/steps bought before I ordered the JLUR. I retired in Sept. of 2018. Ordered the JLUR just the way I wanted it. Used this site to help negotiate a sweet deal by the way. Still waiting to put the lift on, and the rear bumper. Fuck it is cold here.

Anyways, goals are being met, motorhome, aluminum trail, and JLUR is just about done. We have two more years to sort everything out for our plan and the wife to retire. Then we are off.

49348964_226413781600798_8236226601902145536_n (1).jpg

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep is part of my hurricane kit. ;)

After hurricane Irma, we were flooded in for a couple days, and when I did get out and try to get to my moms house, I couldn't because the water was still too deep on the roads to her place, reaching 2+ feet deep, plus the downed trees, bushes and other debris.

So my Jeep is partially to ensure I can reach my mother in such situations.

I like my vehicle to be personalized to my taste, to be different than all the others of that model on the road, so the Jeep fills that road very well.

I most likely won't do much off-roading, maybe the occasional off-road trail or "off road" park, but this is south Florida, where off-roading is mostly sand and mud. But I do like being able to park in places the Mustang couldn't at events where real parking lots are full.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Its a daily driver for me, but one that I like to get dirty from time to time. I've put a Brush Guard on her, and will put on Rubicon Shocks and Springs in the near future. Eventually when the factory Goodyear AT Adventure Kevlar tires wear out I will replace them with Duratracs.

There's not much rock crawling so a Rubicon wasn't necessary and wouldn't be a great daily driver for me, before the 2.0 turbo was produced. My Sahara has certainly surprised me out in the mud though.

img_1157-jpg.jpg

img_1357-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
Reasons:
  • Daily driver
  • Camping
  • Mudding/Trail riding
  • Convertible (Live in Miami mostly warm sunny weather even in winter)
  • Hurricanes/Storms
  • Bug out vehicle
A jeep is a Swiss army knife

IMG_0807.jpeg
IMG_0983.jpeg
IMG_1007.jpeg
IMG_1055.jpeg
IMG_1099.jpg
IMG_1105.jpeg

Last edited:

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I work from home so daily driving is not a big concern. I don’t want to rock crawl because I’d probably die (I have a history of self-injury). I love to get out in the wild, camp, mountain bike, hike, take my dog on adventures, etc. I hate the thought of scratching up my new baby but it’s inevitable. Going to look at some PPF to help with that. My wheel/tire combo sticks out a bit and makes a mess with rain, dirt and mud, so I’d like to keep damage to a minimum.

One thing I really love about the Jeep is it is so unbelievably customizable. I’ve owned 30-something vehicles and have never had one like this. They actually build in all sorts of capabilities to be able to upgrade. I’m a rookie but a quick learner.

NOMAD-0311

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scat Pack Challenger
This will be my 3rd Jeep when it arrives.

I’m not a hardcore off-roader, I would say more an over lander. Enjoyed taking my JK up to Teton and doing some trails up in the mountains. Like to get back country with the top off and just get to some tranquil environments.

As far as bugout vehicles, not sure if I would take my JLUR or the wife’s Raptor. It would be a tough choice because both are awesome!

Then there is the fact that we always get stationed somewhere with crazy weather, so having it just makes sense whether dealing with snow and ice or post hurricane conditions

Yeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Range Rover Turbo Diesel
The Plan, Buy a JLUR, and then offroad all the western states from Arizona to Alaska. Put the Jeep behind our motorhome, park in Arizona, use the Jeep to explore the area, when we get bored, move the Motorhome and Jeep to the next area/state. Spend about five years offroading and when it gets cold, put the Jeep and Motorhome in storage and spend the winters in Thailand with one of our friends. Goals are to drink free brewed coffee above the tree line in the mountains as the sun comes up. So we will also camp away from the motorhome.

I have had a Jeep in the past. A lifted TJ. I have dirt biked, ATVed, snowmobiled and still run a SxS down the trails. My wife and I have been doing trails for 30 or so years and love being outside. Some of our best memories are from offroading. Met many great people over the years and even had my kids riding dirt bike at the age of 3 on the trails in northern Michigan. So the TJ was sold many years ago...

I was about 3 years from retirement and stumbled upon the JK Experience Alaska video on Youtube. I was hooked. Had the wife watch it and said, this is what we should do in retirement. We started watching all kinds of Youtube videos. We usually sit around on Saturday morning and watch Jeep offroad videos while drinking our coffee. Are you guys listening....My wife will and gets excited watching Jeep offroad videos.... I am a lucky guy. So she was all in and I was all In. I started putting money in an investment account for the downpayment on a Rubicon.

We wanted a Jeep more capable than we needed and I plan to build it up and then use 70% of the vehicle capacity. Trying to help ensure that my wife and I do not walk 60 miles out of the mountain.

I had the tires, wheels, front bumper, winch, portable air, tool box/tools, side armour/steps bought before I ordered the JLUR. I retired in Sept. of 2018. Ordered the JLUR just the way I wanted it. Used this site to help negotiate a sweet deal by the way. Still waiting to put the lift on, and the rear bumper. Fuck it is cold here.

Anyways, goals are being met, motorhome, aluminum trail, and JLUR is just about done. We have two more years to sort everything out for our plan and the wife to retire. Then we are off.

49348964_226413781600798_8236226601902145536_n (1).jpg
How will you drive to Alaska? Isn’t it an island below California?

94E106D3-43D8-4CD1-95F1-D254366D13EA.png

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Great thread. It's my daily driver, work vehicle (corporate type stuff), and mid-level family exploring (not camping) off-roader. Here in Colorado there are lots of great medium difficulty trails to explore on a day trip basis, but I don't really have a desire to do anything that puts the truck at risk of a rollover or other body damage.

My mods (finished and planned) are intended to make it cleaner and less busy looking (debadged, removing all red color from exterior like plasti-dipping the tow hooks and removing the Warn winch logo, smoking the tail lights, tinting the front side windows, using an interior roll bar Hi-Lift jack mount, etc), and mild off-road capability and safety enhancements (the winch, will go to 35" wheels when the stock ones wear out, communications and mapping stuff, etc.)

jeep-tn.jpg
Sponsored