Sponsored

What is your ideal wrangler powerplant?

What would you buy? All have 500 hp / 500 ft lb torque...

• Total voters

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
I can't say I liked the transmission in my '10 jk. the vehicle would downshift going up an overpass at 70 mph with cruise control on. That is pretty pathetic. My '15 jk is substantially better and feels 'like a real car' rather than something struggling to exist above 55.
I should have clarified that I had the manual trans and I have only had manual trans wranglers. Sounds like the Auto trans changes over the years have been big improvements.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
None of the above, but I would be happy with the current 6 or 4T WITHOUT the stupid nanny state ESS system!!! Hate ESS with a passion.

On that note, while going through my current electrical issues and endless warranty repair attempts, I did learn FCA can disable ESS with a key stroke. But will not leave it turned off nor will allow dealership to turn it off before handing it back to the customer.
Is yours defeated? Tazer Lite is an inexpensive option.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
As big as possible period. V8 obviously. Hellcat? yes. Demon? Even better. More power than the Demon? Yes I would buy it if it were a factory package.

Gas mileage? Don't care
Reliability, and a matched package of engine/trans/trfr/axles from the factory? Yes
Safety? Depends on the driver of course. But it's just part and parcel of choosing such horsepower
Why would I ever want such insanity? Dunes. + It's fun.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Assuming that it can be reliable and protected from offroad abuse, electric with an onboard gas generator would be what I prefer, assuming it has decent battery range (40 miles on road would be my preferred). Charging at home overnight, commuting and running around town on no gas, but still having the ability to travel long distances sounds nice. I also really like the idea of a silent off road experience. But the reality is that this is Chrysler/Fiat we are dealing with. While so far my JL hasn't left me stranded I also don't trust them to be the most reliable right out of the gate. I bought the 2019 pentastar because it seems to have less complexity than the turbo 4 primarily because I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. A 2 door 4xe would be pretty tempting to me though.

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Not sure how many people on here are familiar with or recall the JK Project Rattletrap. That powerplant... the 12V Cummins. That would be my dream.

Sponsored

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I see everyone chiming in with desires for more torque, more power... etc.
But the OP leveled that playing field. Given: all motors would have 500hp, 500ft/lbs torque.

So what are the other considerations?
- Initial cost
- Fuel efficiency
- Simplicity of design / ease of maintenance
- Cost of repair
- Reliability / longevity
- Torque availability (e.g. for elec motor)

If you are ignoring cost, maintenance, etc. (boring old stuff) and just looking for power and performance, the torque curve of the electric is the only difference and would be the motor of choice.

Of course, you can't ignore those other things, and in real life, the NA-V8 would be the most sensible choice. Simple, reliable, old school, easier to repair, etc.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
A few years back there were reports that several automakers were working, independently, on a modular engine architecture that could easily spawn a 2.0L in-line 4, then by adding 2-cylinders into a 3.0L in-line 6, and by bolting two blocks together into a 4.0L in-line 8. The commonality of a basic design promised low cost and high durability.

Then, through turbo charging, super charging, and hybridization, this family of engines would enable automakers to power the entire lineup, from econoboxes to 3/4-ton full-size pickups.

FCA’s existing 2.0T engine was supposed to be the first installment in such plan, to be followed by a 3.0T to appear on upcoming Grand Cherokee, Grand Wagoneer, Dodges and Alfa Romeos. Later to be joined by a 4.0T in-line 8, to power SRTs and Ram trucks.

But in typical fashion, FCA ditched those plans half-way, and the promised 3.0T inline 6 is never coming out now. FCA got into a rabbit hole with that new 1.3T, and now by electrification plans.

Other automakers reached different stages of this plan. For instance, I believe Land Rover now offers a 2.0 4-cyl and a 3.0 6-cyl.

This is all a moot point now, anyway. Every automaker is working feverishly to introduce a roster of hybrids, plugin hybrids and fully-electric powertrains. So this master plan got ditched for good.

Pity.
The straight 6 turbo is the one I've been waiting for, with the intention of getting it in the new Grand Cherokee L. Where did you here it was cancelled? Although I began to wonder myself when they announced the GCL and there was no mention of the I6T.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I've always wanted a Hellcat Wrangler. But given a choice, I know I'd have a hard time picking between a Hemi and electric w/generator. Instant torque is addicting.

Thanks for voting!

edit: yeah, that is my vote for the electric.

edit2: Keep in mind, there is no distinction between gas/diesel, for example a tubo v6 could be either.

i added supercharged v6 and naturally aspirated, but let's be realistic, we can't build a 500hp i4 without forced induction and afford it.

I also wanted to add LS3 because it is such a strong engine but wanted to stay within the mopar family.
I voted turbo 6.

But what i mean is: Diesel turbo I-6 with a water jacketed closed deck aluminum block and head, long stroke relative to cylinder bore (undersquare), no EGR system, and a low inertia twin scroll variable vein turbo, and a truly ipx water proof mild hybrid assist.

brewdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram; 2014 T&C
The straight 6 turbo is the one I've been waiting for, with the intention of getting it in the new Grand Cherokee L. Where did you here it was cancelled? Although I began to wonder myself when they announced the GCL and there was no mention of the I6T.
MoparInsiders forum said new Inline6turbo would show up this fall first in the new Wagoneers with more horsepower than the hemi engine.

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Is yours defeated? Tazer Lite is an inexpensive option.
If I had used a Tazer or other programmer FCA would have blamed all my electrical faults on it and would not be “buying” 2020 JLUR back.

Point is ESS (and eTorque) is just another needless electrical system to have issues and reduce reliability over time. It should be an option not to have it at all or to have it turned off by the dealer. The fact that they can turn it off but won’t is BS.

OP
OP
dski

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
I voted turbo 6.

But what i mean is: Diesel turbo I-6 with a water jacketed closed deck aluminum block and head, long stroke relative to cylinder bore (undersquare), no EGR system, and a low inertia twin scroll variable vein turbo, and a truly ipx water proof mild hybrid assist.

That is very specific. Does this engine exist someplace already (minus the stripping of parts)?

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
That is very specific. Does this engine exist someplace already (minus the stripping of parts)?
Hahahaha yeah....hey, a guy can dream right?

no, it’s an amalgamation of a couple engines ive used. Primarily a mix of the 6.7 Cummins; and of I6 Toyota Land Cruisers we used as fighting vehicles. the toyota 3.0 probably comes the closest.

-variable vein turbo and undersquare bore to stroke (longer stroke vs bore) means you generate a lot of tq very early in revs and at low load

-closed deck and water jackets allow aluminum block usage to cut weight

-delete the egr to keep it from killing itself; and then take the turbo and spin it to the limit so it burns clean.

-water proof hybrid so you can have a real life usable efficiency boost from technology.

if that’s too dreamy; an undersquare 6cyl diesel with a really efficient burn and a small to medium size VTN alloy turbo will do.
Sponsored