Sponsored

What is your ideal wrangler powerplant?

What would you buy? All have 500 hp / 500 ft lb torque...

• Total voters

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Turbo 3.0L straight 6
This by far the best option in my opinion, they can be toque monsters down low and still have some power up for the freeway. I like hemi but never been impressed with its actual performance, coming from an m340 (inline turbo six) that car moved and could handle many of the v8 variants out there and still got 26mpg.
Sponsored

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
I would be good with the standard 5.7 Hemi. Just the right amount of usable power that I would let my daughter drive :D

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Straight 6 turbo diesel, minimum 3.0L
#2 would be a gasoline twin-turbo straight 6, must needs be 4.0L or larger.

PS: 500 HP from a turbo 4cyl = LOL

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
I might be in the minority in that, I don't want more power. I like a simple engine with a good torque curve that is not overpowered. It is satisfying to use the gearing to keep the vehicle in the power band. I was actually fine with the old 3.8L V6 in the JK. Overall, for my 4 door, the v6 Pentastar is great(although I wouldn't mind a little less hp for a little more low end torque). For a lighter 2 door, I would prefer a simple inline 4 cylinder(nonturbo) with manual trans.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I've always wanted a Hellcat Wrangler. But given a choice, I know I'd have a hard time picking between a Hemi and electric w/generator. Instant torque is addicting.

Thanks for voting!

edit: yeah, that is my vote for the electric.

edit2: Keep in mind, there is no distinction between gas/diesel, for example a tubo v6 could be either.

i added supercharged v6 and naturally aspirated, but let's be realistic, we can't build a 500hp i4 without forced induction and afford it.

I also wanted to add LS3 because it is such a strong engine but wanted to stay within the mopar family.
Either a naturally aspirated V8 or a Turbo Diesel with good torque ratings will be good. Ideally should be paired with a Manual Transmission whose clutch does not overheat, lol.

I curretly hvae mine with the 3.6 Pentastar and that too is a good choice, albeit not as good as a V8 or a Torquey Diesel IMHO based on my past experience of driving Diesel Mahindras with Manual Gearboxes in India.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A few years back there were reports that several automakers were working, independently, on a modular engine architecture that could easily spawn a 2.0L in-line 4, then by adding 2-cylinders into a 3.0L in-line 6, and by bolting two blocks together into a 4.0L in-line 8. The commonality of a basic design promised low cost and high durability.

Then, through turbo charging, super charging, and hybridization, this family of engines would enable automakers to power the entire lineup, from econoboxes to 3/4-ton full-size pickups.

FCA’s existing 2.0T engine was supposed to be the first installment in such plan, to be followed by a 3.0T to appear on upcoming Grand Cherokee, Grand Wagoneer, Dodges and Alfa Romeos. Later to be joined by a 4.0T in-line 8, to power SRTs and Ram trucks.

But in typical fashion, FCA ditched those plans half-way, and the promised 3.0T inline 6 is never coming out now. FCA got into a rabbit hole with that new 1.3T, and now by electrification plans.

Other automakers reached different stages of this plan. For instance, I believe Land Rover now offers a 2.0 4-cyl and a 3.0 6-cyl.

This is all a moot point now, anyway. Every automaker is working feverishly to introduce a roster of hybrids, plugin hybrids and fully-electric powertrains. So this master plan got ditched for good.

Pity.

Last edited:

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Supercharged V6 for the win. Simple, Light, Powerful. Linear power delivery.
The Hemi is fun and all but it is old ass tech and it is heavy.

OP
OP
dski

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
A few years back there were reports that several automakers were working, independently, on a modular engine architecture that could easily spawn a 2.0L in-line 4, then by adding 2-cylinders into a 3.0L in-line 6, and by bolting two blocks together into a 4.0L in-line 8. The commonality of a basic design promised low cost and high durability.

Then, through turbo charging, super charging, and hybridization, this family of engines would enable automakers to power the entire lineup, from econoboxes to 3/4-ton full-size pickups.

FCA’s existing 2.0T engine was supposed to be the first installment in such plan, to be followed by a 3.0T to appear on upcoming Grand Cherokee, Grand Wagoneer, Dodges and Alfa Romeos. Later to be joined by a 4.0T in-line 8, to power SRTs and Ram trucks.

But in typical fashion, FCA ditched those plans half-way, and the promised 3.0T inline 6 is never coming out now. FCA got into a rabbit hole with that new 1.3T, and now by electrification plans.

Other automakers reached different stages of this plan. For instance, I believe Land Rover now offers a 2.0 4-cyl and a 3.0 6-cyl.

This is all a moot point now, anyway. Every automaker is working feverishly to introduce a roster of hybrids, plugin hybrids and fully-electric powertrains. So this master plan got ditched for good.

Pity.

This is an interesting concept, a lot like the rotary engine can have another rotor added. I know I'd be adding as many 'modules' as possible!

OP
OP
dski

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
I might be in the minority in that, I don't want more power. I like a simple engine with a good torque curve that is not overpowered. It is satisfying to use the gearing to keep the vehicle in the power band. I was actually fine with the old 3.8L V6 in the JK. Overall, for my 4 door, the v6 Pentastar is great(although I wouldn't mind a little less hp for a little more low end torque). For a lighter 2 door, I would prefer a simple inline 4 cylinder(nonturbo) with manual trans.

I can't say I liked the transmission in my '10 jk. the vehicle would downshift going up an overpass at 70 mph with cruise control on. That is pretty pathetic. My '15 jk is substantially better and feels 'like a real car' rather than something struggling to exist above 55.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I had the 5.7 Hemi in a newer RAM and think that was a great engine.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Poll is incomplete, the best engine for a JL is a LS3.
I'm onboard with an LS....probably a rational choice LS for me would be a L83, or L86 but the other side of me would be itching for a LSA or LT4. I like the narrow footprint of the LS and I think it fits better in a Jeep than a Hemi. I think you'd probably have to lift the body off the frame to change an exhaust manifold gasket on a Hemi.

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
5.7 all the way!

I voted/added to this thread in the event Stellantis is monitoring this forum.

Stellantis, will you pls offer the 5.7L engine for the Wrangler platform - pronto? I beg you! Take my money!

TY/Cheers,
B

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

BEV would be the ideal option for me, but a PHEV is the closest.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
At the rumored $77k, a Hemi equipped JL is likely to see more mall crawling than much off-roading.
Sponsored