John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired
RussJeep1

In the original post, you mention reproducing a design without patent infringement. If you’re building a rack for your own use and won’t be selling it for profit, where’s the infringement?

I would think you’d be ok as long as you’re not making money off it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I would not try tilting the Gobi rack with anything on it. The design is for the four attachment points to carry or hold whatever load is on it. By tilting it with the load, as soon as the front moves, the weight on the rear two connection points/hinges doubles. Say you have 800 pounds of gear up top. That’s 200 pounds on each of the four attachment points. As soon as it starts tilting, the rear two are now at 400 pounds each. As the tilting angle increases, the weight on each point becomes more due to the angles and physics. I’m no math major, but I would guess this weight would exceed the design specs and cause part failures.
What you're saying John makes perfect engineering sense (to me.)

I was mistaken before when I assigned ability to lift a Wrangler by its roof rack to Gobi. This is not to say it can or can't be done, but rather, here is the video, and credit goes to Front Runner where the video and product (at least for the JK) can be found at this link:

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...-wrangler-jku4door-2007-curr-slimline-ii.html

@Baddod : FWIW this link confirms, at least for the JK, compatibility with Freedom Panel removal.

I don't know much about this rack other than to say that if it doesn't transfer its weight to anything but the hard top, and front of the rig, and doesn't use internal hardware under the hard top, and they picked it up by a crane, that I'm very surprised that it not only could happen, but leave the rig undamaged as a result.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
RussJeep1

In the original post, you mention reproducing a design without patent infringement. If you’re building a rack for your own use and won’t be selling it for profit, where’s the infringement?

I would think you’d be ok as long as you’re not making money off it.

I appreciate your thoughts John

Patent law is a complex area where, I'm to understand that one's ability or intent to make profit may not be the litmus test to infringement. In other words, technically, the patent holder (a status the patent pending filer does not yet have) or even the patent pending applier may be able to take action to even stop a tinkerer like me.

But to your point, even if the patent or application expressly covers things and designs used by others, (and it very well may not) the practicality of filing legal motions against the guy "down the block," even if enforceable, likely isn't worth it.

Many designers, as you may know, get patent pending status before revealing product so others can't beat them to the patent, or risk competing with them using similar designs, even while exactly what aspect of the design up for patent may not be known until after it's (possible) patent issuance. The costs of a competitor tooling a design that might get shut down in court may be enough to deter them. Many applications in the US get rejected and/or withdrawn.

I've had similar armchair discussions about photocopying otherwise fully licensed musical orchestral manuscript parts. Technically you're not suppose to, but the real goal is to incentivize you to buy the rights from the publisher, not, to prevent, say, some H.S. teacher, from handing out only photocopies that the kids chew up/write on, saving the paid for originals as templates. Making photocopies to avoid paying licensing fees: that's wrong.

Retired, I like to tinker and publish DIY stuff to pay back to the bboard as thanks for what I've learned from it and its members. But my firm support for the aftermarket community and the mouths it feeds, would have me immediately take down manuals, designs or products I've made for myself, out of respect for law and courtesy.

Denying revenue for brilliant builders like LOD offroad, Gobi, and so many others in this space (as if!!) dis-incentivizes the very innovation our patent system is there to motivate.

Happy trails!

(BTW: something tells me my garage track on top/metal grid with garage track wheels on its sides isn't going to put anyone out of work!)

Baddod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18Jl Rubicon
@Baddod you may be the least lacking here in the knowledge that you've asked two separate questions, neither of which, sadly, do I have the knowledge to answer but would also like to know.

To quote the "wheels on the bus song," the Freedom panels, like the kids, go "up and down," while the Sunrider top, like the bus' wipers and doors, moves on a pivot point.

(I do not mean to conflate the Sunrider top from Bestop, a product, with Sunrider position, a.k.a. 1st position of the OEM soft top.)
I have no idea what the hell your trying to say.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
I appreciate your thoughts John

Patent law is a complex area where, I'm to understand that one's ability or intent to make profit may not be the litmus test to infringement. In other words, technically, the patent holder (a status the patent pending filer does not yet have) or even the patent pending applier may be able to take action to even stop a tinkerer like me.

But to your point, even if the patent or application expressly covers things and designs used by others, (and it very well may not) the practicality of filing legal motions against the guy "down the block," even if enforceable, likely isn't worth it.

Many designers, as you may know, get patent pending status before revealing product so others can't beat them to the patent, or risk competing with them using similar designs, even while exactly what aspect of the design up for patent may not be known until after it's (possible) patent issuance. The costs of a competitor tooling a design that might get shut down in court may be enough to deter them. Many applications in the US get rejected and/or withdrawn.

I've had similar armchair discussions about photocopying otherwise fully licensed musical orchestral manuscript parts. Technically you're not suppose to, but the real goal is to incentivize you to buy the rights from the publisher, not, to prevent, say, some H.S. teacher, from handing out only photocopies that the kids chew up/write on, saving the paid for originals as templates. Making photocopies to avoid paying licensing fees: that's wrong.

Retired, I like to tinker and publish DIY stuff to pay back to the bboard as thanks for what I've learned from it and its members. But my firm support for the aftermarket community and the mouths it feeds, would have me immediately take down manuals, designs or products I've made for myself, out of respect for law and courtesy.

Denying revenue for brilliant builders like LOD offroad, Gobi, and so many others in this space (as if!!) dis-incentivizes the very innovation our patent system is there to motivate.

Happy trails!

(BTW: something tells me my garage track on top/metal grid with garage track wheels on its sides isn't going to put anyone out of work!)
I have no added value to this thread, but - I really enjoy reading your words. Pure and beautiful English, something it's slowly (and sadly) going away. You must be a professor, writer, lawyer, or something along those lines. Nevertheless, thanks for the beautiful English educated man.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have no idea what the hell your trying to say.
Sorry @Baddod.

Rephrased: as you probably realize, the Freedom panels pop straight up, the Bestop Sunrider angles back.

If the Bestop Sunrider fits, the Freedom Panels will. The converse may not be true.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Installed the Mopar rack and basket about 2 months ago, love it - looks awesome in person!

That day my wife was kinda crabby and jokingly told her she just mad because I have a nicer rack than her.

....been sleeping on the couch since.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Installed the Mopar rack and basket about 2 months ago, love it - looks awesome in person!

That day my wife was kinda crabby and jokingly told her she just mad because I have a nicer rack than her.

....been sleeping on the couch since.
The MOPAR product, while a bit pricey for its functionality, was a day one available accessory that for relatively light hauling and willingness to commit to the hard top, represents a strong, drill-less, easy to install/take down option for many/most and deserves honorable mention.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Full shebang, probably LOD. Casual weekend warrior, EVO is by far the cleanest.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Full shebang, probably LOD. Casual weekend warrior, EVO is by far the cleanest.
Thanks for the contribution David.

That is sleek, and you have to love its drill-less design, being more substantial, and also more pricey that the MOPAR rack and basket.

I am coming to believe that composing a spreadsheet that lists all the racks, one on each row, and the features in the columns (e.g. requires drilling (Y/N), requires hardtop (Y?N), allows Freedom Panels to be taken out, etc.) might be useful.

As much of what I know came from here

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-roof-rack-list-jl-jlu-wrangler.2665/

and @simpleJL 's original work and that of others who came after him, I think I'm going to talk about it with him and the bboard mgmt privately before proceeding.

Sponsored

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Thanks for the contribution David.

That is sleek, and you have to love its drill-less design, being more substantial, and also more pricey that the MOPAR rack and basket.

I am coming to believe that composing a spreadsheet that lists all the racks, one on each row, and the features in the columns (e.g. requires drilling (Y/N), requires hardtop (Y?N), allows Freedom Panels to be taken out, etc.) might be useful.

As much of what I know came from here

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-roof-rack-list-jl-jlu-wrangler.2665/

and @simpleJL 's original work and that of others who came after him, I think I'm going to talk about it with him and the bboard mgmt privately before proceeding.
Have at it. You don't need authorization to make a spreadsheet of the details of all the racks.

I recommend using Google Sheets so you can post a public link so people can view. Make sure they can't edit it though.

Bill ski

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Ok.

Sometimes on the forum we can discuss a point, and approach it from 5 different angles, and bring it up again in the month, and I'm probably no less guilty of this.

But I haven't seen--granted on cursory search--a thread that discusses what people's favorite roof racks are and why. Those more in the know here, please chime in.

As any new Wrangler owner will quickly find out, your money went to its capabilities, not its spaciousness for cargo.;)

Now before anyone comes to the rig's defense, (which I love and own too) I'm not saying you can't store your fair share of gear in its interior, especially with some/all of the rear seats down. I'm not saying the thing can't tow enormous amounts of gear for its size.

But many of us find out in short order than whether it's the off road adventure, the family road trip, or (as in my case) the "daddy, I need to take all of this to college," task, we need to take our belongings to "the big guy upstairs," referring tongue in cheek here to a roof rack, over a deity (and let me assure you that I can call upon the latter no less energetically when provided a 15 minute window to dump and load a vehicle to/from a dorm room!)

So I wonder, what's your favorite roof rack? It need not be one out for the JL yet? What would you want to see in your ideal roof rack?

Here's the forum's well compiled list, which granted does also discuss people's opinions.

My biases: I don't suffer from conformational bias https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias#Confirmation_bias because I made my rack, nor am I seeking attention--although if you want to make a similar one I'm glad to tell you what I know. I don't work for a profit from any roof rack vendor in any vehicle marketing space.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-no-hole-roof-rails.10580/#post-301033

Save your applauds (not that I deserve any.) For me necessity was the mother of invention. The one rack out there when I needed one several months ago was the Gobi, and even if I could swing it financially, the wait at the time for one was too long for my time frame. (Disclaimer: I think the Gobi is a fantastic rack. I don't wish to imply otherwise.) I didn't think MOPARs rain gutter solution, albeit available at JL launch, was either large or industrial enough for my needs.

Before I turn it over to you, I'll give you my 2 cents.

Far and away, the winner of this contest for me is the LOD Offroad designs. This is the JK version.
LOD.jpg
Sure it's pricey. (The JL version is reported to be able to slide to either side when made available for sale.) But to have enough confidence in your design to stick 2 kids on the rack fully cantilevered--that's impressive. I am trying to do a poor man's replication of this (without stepping on patents) JK version on my JL using garage door track on my rig's top, and a metal grid with garage door rollers that slides into that track. You bet I won't be cantilevering like that (without supports.)

To me, everyone else, including Gobi, (who comes in 2nd in my mind) is just "playin' for seconds."

All the Gobi does in the way of allowing access to the rig's hard or soft top is allow you to angle it back. Don't try that with even securely attached gear. Even if you're strong enough, I'm not sure Gobi would bless that. (Disclaimer: I think the Gobi rack lifted its Jeep in promos. No way am I implying the thing anything but a monster in strength with beautiful lines.)

And I feel the way I do because the best racks don't get in the way, especially when not loaded with gear, of doing what we love best: opening the soft top or taking out the Freedom Panels, and IMHO, don't leave holes.

Along these lines I'd love to give an honorable mention to the Smittybuilt and others like it.

Smittybuilt.jpg

It's simple, less pricey, doesn't require you to drill into the (hard) top, and/or allows you to run with a soft top. You can adjust remove cross members you don't need (I believe) to give you access to the top.

Now--if you have the power top, little of this applies. I'd get one but my neighbors would miss the biannual cursing-fest of me moving the hard top.;)

What say you?
I ordered a Gobi rack, but crazy that it takes four months for delivery. If anything else suitable was on the market they might have lost my purchase. I'm sure I'll love it once it's finally received. I had to put a few boards together for this ski season as it will be Spring melt before I see my Gobi.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
8C616CD1-9D74-41A9-A2B7-9B0D70BCB6E9.gif
Sponsored