What is your favorite roof rack

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
Installed the Mopar rack and basket about 2 months ago, love it - looks awesome in person!

That day my wife was kinda crabby and jokingly told her she just mad because I have a nicer rack than her.

....been sleeping on the couch since.
How difficult was it to install ?
Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Does anyone know when the Rhino Rack Back Bone system with Pioneer roof rack will be available for sale?

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Does anyone know when the Rhino Rack Back Bone system with Pioneer roof rack will be available for sale?
I think the Rhino Rack system is the best out there honestly. What really irritates me is the length of time its taking to get their Backbone system into the JL. It can't possibly be that much different than the JK. And its already been a little more than a year since JL's have been out. Its not like R&D is greatly different than the JK. C'mon!!

grapejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm torn between waiting on the rhino rack with backbone or just go with rhino with Maximus 3. Thoughts? I like the Gobi but price and wait time make the rhino more attractive.

Sponsored

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
I'm torn between waiting on the rhino rack with backbone or just go with rhino with Maximus 3. Thoughts? I like the Gobi but price and wait time make the rhino more attractive.
Maximus-3 for sure man. Love mine! The backbone may be slightly easier to take off, but it’s like Rhino isn’t making it a priority. I have removed my top a few times with the rack and it’s only 8 more bolts-it’s like 5 minutes more work and it holds more weight than the backbone. Cool accessories too and Maximus-3 has great customer service and support.

953D4E2E-30EE-4395-8417-AF01FCF87D7E.jpeg

9482A5DE-AA3C-4460-9935-9314E15967BE.jpeg

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I think the Rhino Rack system is the best out there honestly. What really irritates me is the length of time its taking to get their Backbone system into the JL. It can't possibly be that much different than the JK. And its already been a little more than a year since JL's have been out. Its not like R&D is greatly different than the JK. C'mon!!
I looked at it in detail and spoke to them at Overland Expo East. It’s not just the Backbone system that’s new, the Pioneer Platform is an all new design as well so there is some lead time required for production.

They told me summer of 2019. I’ll wait :like:

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at it in detail and spoke to them at Overland Expo East. It’s not just the Backbone system that’s new, the Pioneer Platform is an all new design as well so there is some lead time required for production.

They told me summer of 2019. I’ll wait :like:
Nice! What have they done to it to improve the platform? Always interested to hear about the latest/greatest. Will you be able to run the rack without the top?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
No offense. I’m all about DIY but that just makes a new vehicle look very cheap.

Sponsored

JprOverseas

First Name
KP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What you're saying John makes perfect engineering sense (to me.)

I was mistaken before when I assigned ability to lift a Wrangler by its roof rack to Gobi. This is not to say it can or can't be done, but rather, here is the video, and credit goes to Front Runner where the video and product (at least for the JK) can be found at this link:

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...-wrangler-jku4door-2007-curr-slimline-ii.html

@Baddod : FWIW this link confirms, at least for the JK, compatibility with Freedom Panel removal.

I don't know much about this rack other than to say that if it doesn't transfer its weight to anything but the hard top, and front of the rig, and doesn't use internal hardware under the hard top, and they picked it up by a crane, that I'm very surprised that it not only could happen, but leave the rig undamaged as a result.
I had the new Front Runner rack installed on my JL in South Africa. It uses interior hardware, so minimal, if any, weight on the hard top. Great rack so far. A little higher profile than some of the others, but exactly what I need here. According to FR, they’re in pre-production now and are shipping some to the US in January.

FD0287BA-8F46-4DD2-999B-C4C8EC820113.jpeg

View attachment 117062

8595FC8C-E96F-4648-8159-539A1CB81FDF.jpeg

24B2926E-1CB3-43C9-BC7D-FCA766A0C806.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
So when will LOD cantilever design be out? that can double as an AWNING as well!!

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
So when will LOD cantilever design be out? that can double as an AWNING as well!!
Last they came to the board that I recall Ruben @RubenZ they were talking about perfecting it https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-644#post-455959 with no mention of dates.

Its interest. This new rack is both easier and harder than the JK version to make I think. Easier because given its slide to the side, there is less cantilever than in the JK version which slide to the back, but harder because the cantilever will hopefully be able to occur to either the passenger's or the driver's side, whereas in the JK version was only to the rear.

That means 4 versions of this circled hardware when the JK version had only two.

LOD3.jpg

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
We are currently testing the JK version of the new rack which should be available 1st quarter 2019. The JL version will follow hopefully by beginning of summer.
Sponsored