What is this???

Rosemont

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I have had my Jeep over a year now and bought it brand new from a dealer. I was looking up under the drivers side dash today and noticed a strange ground wire and that several wires from a large wire harness bundle had splices in it. Any idea what this is or what was there? I guessing with the ground wire some kind of device was tied into the Jeep before I bought it. I feel a little ripped off as I thought I bought a new vehicle not one with the wires all spliced into. Thanks

weird-Jeep-wires.jpg
Sponsored

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
Did they offer to sell you anything sort of security system?

I forget what it's called but it's crap they buy for $50 and sell for $500+. A lot of dealers install it but don't activate it then just snip wires when the customer refused it.

I wish I could remember what it's called because most of the threads that you find online are people that have trouble with their vehicles because of crappy install jobs whatever the hell that thing is called.

OP
OP

Rosemont

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they offer to sell you anything sort of security system?

I forget what it's called but it's crap they buy for $50 and sell for $500+. A lot of dealers install it but don't activate it then just snip wires when the customer refused it.

I wish I could remember what it's called because most of the threads that you find online are people that have trouble with their vehicles because of crappy install jobs whatever the hell that thing is called.
I didn't think about that. They may have but its been so long I dont remember. I am going to email this picture to them and see if thats something they do.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I read another thread a few months back on the site about various dealers installing a lojack type system without buyers knowledge. Can't remember if it was more of a security type system or one where they can track your driving habits.

At least it appears yours was never "launched".

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

was this a leased vehicle? more and more dealers are taping into the power for the OBII jack for Low jack and GPS for finding the vehicle if you dont make the payments. AKA REPO's happen faster. found one in my jeep but it was only a hot and ground wire. unplugged it and called it a day. dealer never mentioned it to me so i wont tell them that i removed it and took a nice sledge 2lb hammer to it.

OP
OP

Rosemont

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found it!

It's called "KARR Security System" (google , here's an article about it https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/08/never-buy-car-alarm-dealership/

I'm going to guess your dealer just straight up ripped it out so they could ruin someone else's wiring harness instead of just inserting the disable jumper lol
Ok great. Im going to stop by the dealer and see if this is what it was. I remember the salesman telling me they have all the vehicles on the lot alarmed. Dealer is Bill Luke Jeep in Phoenix.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rosemont

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was this a leased vehicle? more and more dealers are taping into the power for the OBII jack for Low jack and GPS for finding the vehicle if you dont make the payments. AKA REPO's happen faster. found one in my jeep but it was only a hot and ground wire. unplugged it and called it a day. dealer never mentioned it to me so i wont tell them that i removed it and took a nice sledge 2lb hammer to it.
No it wasnt a lease but I am wondering if they used it for a loaner before I got it. Not sure if they disclose that or not but it didn't look like it was driven much before I bought it.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have had my Jeep over a year now and bought it brand new from a dealer. I was looking up under the drivers side dash today and noticed a strange ground wire and that several wires from a large wire harness bundle had splices in it. Any idea what this is or what was there? I guessing with the ground wire some kind of device was tied into the Jeep before I bought it. I feel a little ripped off as I thought I bought a new vehicle not one with the wires all spliced into. Thanks

weird-Jeep-wires.jpg
@Rosemont
We certainly share your concerns here. Please keep us updated on your dealer diagnosis, and feel free to send us a private message if you have any additional questions. We're happy to help!

Kathryn
JeepCares

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Ok great. Im going to stop by the dealer and see if this is what it was. I remember the salesman telling me they have all the vehicles on the lot alarmed. Dealer is Bill Luke Jeep in Phoenix.
Just FYI, bill Luke is a Huge dealer for selling buybacks, they also get a lot of rejects etc. that they clean up and sell. I found this out when I first moved here and did some research into where to buy from. They also have some online complaints due to issues like you are posting.
Sponsored