What is This Sound?

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
@Ericthemantis I did an oil change 2 weeks ago and mine appears to have stopped doing it. I did feel like it was getting louder as it was getting closer to oil change time.

I'm thinking this is relevant...my oil came out looking a bit watered down and smelling like gasoline, which I know happens to these turbo engines when running shorter local trips often. I'll be doing my next oil change much sooner, but I do suspect the oil getting some gasoline in it may be related to my Jeep having the noise. I listened to your video again and mine made that exact first sound.
I also suspect it has to do with oil viscosity. Thinner oil causing more valvetrain noise.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I also suspect it has to do with oil viscosity. Thinner oil causing more valvetrain noise.
That's one of the metrics provided on the oil analysis reports for which I submit samples of freshly drained oil.

E.g., the inaugural report for the Wrangler included a viscosity rating of 5W-20 for the factory oil fill, when 5W-30 is in fact the only specification for the 2.0T. Interesting.

The oil viscosity noted on the subsequent lab reports remains rock steady at 5W-30. 'Course, I'm the only one maintaining the vehicle, too. To date, the dealer has only had possession of the Jeep for the annual safety and emission inspections.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
I was just here for the home alone 2 reference…. The sound of a tool chest coming down the stairs 🤣 but on another note that 2.0 sounds rough at start up 😢

Kez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Tide (Punk’n)
We've had 3 2.0t Wranglers; they all made that sound. They kept going without blowing up, so I have to assume it's somewhat normal on cold startup for this engine.

OP
OP
Ericthemantis

Ericthemantis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys 2.0L
Occupation
Software Engineer
@gl420 I'm about to change the oil in mine, too. I'll report back.

@Heimkehr interesting! I was thinking about sending a sample from my 1st change to Blackstone. After hearing your experience, I definitely will.

@diesel_dave that's exactly what I was initially thinking. My Nissans would get noisier later in the oil cycle, though it was much more clicky, not.... grindy...

Sponsored

KeithF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 80th Anniversary
The sound at startup is also like mine. Look up wastegate rattle here. It doesnt seem to be an issue on the 2.0.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
yep...

The 2.0T is noisy on start up. Mine sounds kinda like a sewing machine until it warms up a bit. But at 12K miles, it's been trouble free. Nice and peppy but still gives me 24mpg.

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Sport 2-Door, 2019 Honda Odyssey
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lead Pastor, County Projects Coordinator, and Former 88N10 in US Army
My 2023 JLW 2-Door with the 2.0L Turbo has made that sound since I took delivery of it on the first day back in November 2022. It is only ever the first cold start of the day. The engine runs great, and I have to admit, the first few times I heard it, I was concerned. Although, the more I read about it, the more I'm convinced that this is just the normal cold startup sound for these 2.0Ls. I'm still not certain what causes this, but it does seem to be normal for these engines, and I have not heard of this leading to more issues down the road. They are just noisy and rattle for a couple seconds upon startup.

Metalgator1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLK
Our 2020 2.0 does the same thing on cold startup. It's done it since new and we now have a little over 17,000 miles on it. It's definately a noisy engine but quiets down when warmed up. Every 2.0 I have heard is noisy on startup.

OP
OP
Ericthemantis

Ericthemantis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys 2.0L
Occupation
Software Engineer
Update: Sound at startup is gone after the oil change. I used Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30. It is also warmer now, so that might also be playing a part.

Waiting on results from Blackstone Labs on the oil qualities.

Sponsored

gl420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2.0T
Clubs

Update: Sound at startup is gone after the oil change. I used Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30. It is also warmer now, so that might also be playing a part.

Waiting on results from Blackstone Labs on the oil qualities.
Interesting...how many miles did you go on the oil? I went by the indicator in the dash and it had me do it after 8,000 miles. Most of it short trips for me. I used Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.
I plan on doing my next oil change after 4-5000 miles, but I guess I'll keep an ear out for the sound coming back too.

OP
OP
Ericthemantis

Ericthemantis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys 2.0L
Occupation
Software Engineer
Interesting...how many miles did you go on the oil? I went by the indicator in the dash and it had me do it after 8,000 miles. Most of it short trips for me. I used Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.
I plan on doing my next oil change after 4-5000 miles, but I guess I'll keep an ear out for the sound coming back too.
Only about 3200 miles on the oil. But it is the first oil change - I'm assuming there is some additional wear material in the oil from the initial break-in (we'll see what the lab says). The oil life indicator said 60% left. I expect to change around 6000 for the next change. My miles are about half/half short trips and highway.

OP
OP
Ericthemantis

Ericthemantis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys 2.0L
Occupation
Software Engineer
That's one of the metrics provided on the oil analysis reports for which I submit samples of freshly drained oil.

E.g., the inaugural report for the Wrangler included a viscosity rating of 5W-20 for the factory oil fill, when 5W-30 is in fact the only specification for the 2.0T. Interesting.
My report also showed a 5W-20 viscosity. They only found found trace fuel in my oil.

Update: The noise is still there sometimes on a cold start. So the mystery continues!

gl420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2.0T
Clubs

My report also showed a 5W-20 viscosity. They only found found trace fuel in my oil.

Update: The noise is still there sometimes on a cold start. So the mystery continues!
Thanks for the update! I also started to hear a bit of the noise on startup a couple times last month, but then it went away.

I've started to do a few full throttle accelerations every few drives when the engine's warm. The noise hasn't come back since. I was reading this is good practice if doing mostly low rpm driving.

I'll update if/when it comes back and how my next oil change goes.

mardoudan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara
Not sure yet. I want to investigate it more, but its only on a cold start, like 1st start of the day. I may try starting, turning off, then starting again to see if it repeats on subsequent starts before warming up the engine.

Note: It is a 2023 with only 2900miles on the engine.

I don't remember if I heard it right after delivery, but the last couple months I know I've been hearing it.
I hear this on my 2023 2.0 JL -from the day I purchased until now 2300 miles. It does sound like it may be getting a bit quieter. It happens when I start it cold.
Sponsored