What is this piece of plastic?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I pulled the positive terminal off my battery and heard something fall down along the battery. Fished this thing out but have no idea where it goes or what it is? Anyone?

Jeep Wrangler JL What is this piece of plastic? IMG_4108

Thanks!

IMG_4107.jpg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Chupacabra

That is a plastic lock kinda thing for the Pos terminal. IF you don't know it is there (you) you can snap it off... You need to pull back on it's tab to release..

No worry it is something that you can forget was there and will have no negative impact on things.

For those that still have there's intact. Release the thing before you pry up the pos side...

Jeep Wrangler JL What is this piece of plastic? Screenshot 2021-11-09 200346

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks @Rhinebeck01! Looks like it's not important enough to worry about.
@Chupacabra

Don't worry about that plastic retainer.... Not needed...

Many have broken it and those same "many" are doing fine running without it...

In regard to the Neg terminal especially.... be really really sure you keep it tightened and do check it's tightness periodically.. it likes to work it's way loose.. Careful do not overtighten.

gr8nate

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willys
I pulled the positive terminal off my battery and heard something fall down along the battery. Fished this thing out but have no idea where it goes or what it is? Anyone?

Thanks!

Thank you Thank you Thank you for posting; I just had my battery replaced and the AAA guy had no idea where it should go back.

FYI - Battery replaced at Jeep Dealership = $350 + cost of battery and they make you replace both of them vs. AAA = $240 and they replace in your driveway.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chupacabra

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Thank you Thank you Thank you for posting; I just had my battery replaced and the AAA guy had no idea where it should go back.

FYI - Battery replaced at Jeep Dealership = $350 + cost of battery and they make you replace both of them vs. AAA = $240 and they replace in your driveway.
Ha ha, it's been broken off for 2 years now with no ill effect. I'd forgotten all about it actually :)

Innovator007

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
This plastic piece is to relieve stress on the battery post. Connections such as winch and other could put a downward presure depending on wiring method. This spacer keeps tension off the positive battery post. Fills in the gap between the terminal connector and battery top case. In most cases it would be fine if it is removed but if your connecting heavier wire for options being installed, be mindful. Automotive companies install things for a reason, especially with jeeps as they review lessons learned. At least in some cases. :)
Sponsored