What is this.... Bundle of wires from passenger footwell

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Because I’m a little slow and I hate electrical....
question-I want lights that I could connect behind my Jeep to see my kayak at night while loading it up with my fishing stuff and obviously I don’t want them connected to my reverse lights. Could I connect them to the (pos)red/white wire “direct to battery” and ground the black(neg)wire? That would allow me to just flip the switch to keep the lights on while I load up my yak!?
Questions:
  1. Do you have the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group option on your JLU?
  2. Do you want to have wires going into the JL interior cabin or run light wiring to engine compartment?
  3. Do you want to be able to turn on the light(s) in back when the ignition is in the off position?
  4. Do your want the light(s) back there to only work when ignition is on?
  5. Will the light(s) that you will be using back there have their own switch or do you want to switch on and off with an Aux. switch?
  6. Do you know that you have a 12v plug in receptacle in the rear cargo (Lt. side) that you can use to plug in an external light(s). This 12v receptacle can be set-up to be switched with ignition or constant on.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
Like I said...I’m not really smart. I assumed there is a live wire and a ground wire. I’m looking to buy something like the Auxbeam lights. I’ll only use them once a month on fishing trips.
What I have....
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group with the Aux buttons
12v plug in back
My goal is to get out of my JL push a button (aux switch) to turn on the rear lights and load my gear. Ideally, I’d like the engine off but that part really doesn’t matter. As far as directing the wires, does it matter if I use the Aux wires in the engine compartment or cabin? I would guess it would be easier to go into the engine compartment but is there an advantage going into the cabin? I’d like to stay away from using the 12v port. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! I need as much as I can get!

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Like I said...I’m not really smart. I assumed there is a live wire and a ground wire. I’m looking to buy something like the Auxbeam lights. I’ll only use them once a month on fishing trips.
What I have....
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group with the Aux buttons
12v plug in back
My goal is to get out of my JL push a button (aux switch) to turn on the rear lights and load my gear. Ideally, I’d like the engine off but that part really doesn’t matter. As far as directing the wires, does it matter if I use the Aux wires in the engine compartment or cabin? I would guess it would be easier to go into the engine compartment but is there an advantage going into the cabin? I’d like to stay away from using the 12v port. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! I need as much as I can get!

Well, you would probably want to use 1 of the 4 Aux switches in the JLU. You have the 4 Aux switches so why not use one of them for your light kit.

You would setup your Aux switch of choice (either 1,2,3,4) as a "Latch switch"...means it is a switch that you press to turn something off and on with. You'd do this set-up in Uconnect settings. Again, in Uconnect settings you would set-up that particular Aux switch up, as a latch switch and also as to whether it will be switched with the ignition or not. I prefer switched as you are less apt to kill battery by leaving lights on and walking away..

Now, the pigtail end of your switch of choice 1,2,3 or 4 can be found either in the engine compartment behind the battery of in the interior of the JLU in the right footwell area. You can connect to the pigtail in either location. Do know that if you use the pigtail for say #1 Aux switch inside the JLU you can't say hook up something else to #1 Aux pigtail in the engine compartment.

So, you chose whether inside pigtail or outside pigtail and use that as your 12v source to power your lights.

To complete the "electrical circuit" in regard to your light kit, - you'll now just need to attach the earth wire from your light kit to a grounding point.... You can do this in two different ways.

1) Attach the earth wire to anywhere where there is bare steel under the dash, etc. I posted pictures of an interior ground point earlier that you can use and there are others in the engine compartment if you use the pigtail in the engine compartment.

2) You can run the earth wire to the "negative" side of the JLU's main battery in the engine compartment.

Anyway, your choice to run the wiring for your light(s) outside from the back of the JLU to the front / engine compartment of your JLU or through the inside of the JLU to the pigtail in the passenger footwell. Your choice.

As to the actual wiring of the lights. Read the install instructions carefully that come with the lights you choose. Follow the instructions to the tee.
Note: Since you will be switching your light kit lights on an off with the Aux switch in the JLU, you would just leave the inline switch on the kit's harness in the on position all the time.

So, that's pretty much it. When you get your light kit of choice come back and ask guys here how to proceed with the install of that particular light kit.

Last edited:

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
Well, you would probably want to use 1 of the 4 Aux switches in the JLU. You have the 4 Aux switches so why not use one of them for your light kit.

You would setup your Aux switch of choice (either 1,2,3,4) as a "Latch switch"...means it is a switch that you press to turn something off and on with. You'd do this set-up in Uconnect settings. Again, in Uconnect settings you would set-up that particular Aux switch up, as a latch switch and also as to whether it will be switched with the ignition or not. I prefer switched as you are less apt to kill battery by leaving lights on and walking away..

Now, the pigtail end of your switch of choice 1,2,3 or 4 can be found either in the engine compartment behind the battery of in the interior of the JLU in the right footwell area. You can can connect to the pigtail in either location. Do know that if you use the pigtail for say #1 Aux switch inside the JLU you can't say hook up something else to #1 Aux pigtail in the engine compartment.

So, you chose whether inside pigtail or outside pigtail and use that as your 12v source to power your lights.

To complete the "electrical circuit" in regard to your light kit, - you'll now just need to attach the earth wire from your light kit to a grounding point.... You can do this in two different ways.

1) Attach the earth wire to anywhere where there is bare steel under the dash, etc. I posted pictures of an interior ground point earlier that you can use and there are others in the engine compartment if you use the pigtail in the engine compartment.

2) You can run the earth wire to the "negative" side of the JLU's main battery in the engine compartment.

Anyway, your choice to run the wiring for your light(s) outside from the back of the JLU to the front / engine compartment of your JLU or through the inside of the JLU to the pigtail in the passenger footwell. Your choice.

As to the actual wiring of the lights. Read the install instructions carefully that come with the lights you choose. Follow the instructions to the tee.
Note: Since you will be switching your light kit lights on an off with the Aux switch in the JLU, you would just leave the inline switch on the kit's harness in the on position all the time.

So, that's pretty much it. When you get your light kit of choice come back and ask guys here how to proceed with the install of that particular light kit.

I can’t thank you enough! I bought a Jeep in 87. After being in an accident, not in my Jeep, that put me in the hopital for several months I had to sell my Jeep.
This is the first vehicle I’ve ever wanted to customize and with people like you, I’ll make it happen! Thank You!

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I can’t thank you enough! I bought a Jeep in 87. After being in an accident, not in my Jeep, that put me in the hopital for several months I had to sell my Jeep.
This is the first vehicle I’ve ever wanted to customize and with people like you, I’ll make it happen! Thank You!
No problem, hope you could follow what I was saying. Ask me how to suture a wound, open an abscess, do a femoral stick and I am at no loss for words and can explain the procedures succinctly. I'm not used to spewing instructions on wiring.. Anyway, doing the light kit wiring is something that you can easily handle. Have fun doing it and enjoy your JLU.

Sponsored

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
No problem, hope you could follow what I was saying. Ask me how to suture a wound, open an abscess, do a femoral stick and I am at no loss for words and can explain the procedures succinctly. I'm not used to spewing instructions on wiring.. Anyway, doing the light kit wiring is something that you can easily handle. Have fun doing it and enjoy your JLU.
That’s funny! I’m a Coder for a hospital. I dream about the procedures I code. In my mind, I could perform about 200 different procedures.lol

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so where exactly did you find that wire bundle under the passenger footwell? I want to make sure I don't grab and undo the wrong ones.

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
Ok, so where exactly did you find that wire bundle under the passenger footwell? I want to make sure I don't grab and undo the wrong ones.
I have looked for the interior AUX wires. I did find the AUX wires under the hood.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There was only one bundle of wires in that location. Mine were located in the center of the passenger well near the fire wall.

Amirtahmasbi

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Is anybody did wiring the off road light with auxiliary package if yes would you please share diagram or photos I'm totally confused

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just in case anyone else questions where the wires are, they are duplicated in the passenger footwell (easy to access) and under the hood next to the battery...

IMG_20180624_143456.jpg
Yes, you will find in both places. It is important to know that if you use say Aux #4 wire under the hood, you cannot also use the Aux #4 you find in the passenger footwell. Seems obvious but maybe not to some.

trekster

First Name
Trekster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon Extreme Recon
My 2022 JL sent a message to me yesterday stating that the auxiliary switches aren’t available now because the battery is charging. I curious where the 12 volt power is coming from for the auxiliary switches. Is it the main full size battery or the secondary small batter. I’m plugging my Jackory power supply into the auxiliary switch #1 then running my Iceco fridge off the Jackory . I’m hoping this is from the Main battery. Anyone know for sure?
Sponsored