Sponsored

What is this box under the steering wheel?

scarleton

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
So, in a hunt for a place to mount the base unit of my HAM I took the panel off below the steering wheel and found what looks like a GREAT location, except there is this box. My friend that was helping me said that he mounted something on a box in his motorcycle that was the pitch sensor. He said he put rubber between what he mounted and the sensor. I do have the Rubicon that does have the pitch & roll sensor built in, so I figured it was best to find out what this box is before mounting something to it. Here are some pictures:
Jeep Wrangler JL What is this box under the steering wheel? 01-IMG_2345

Jeep Wrangler JL What is this box under the steering wheel? IMG_2341

Jeep Wrangler JL What is this box under the steering wheel? IMG_2343

Jeep Wrangler JL What is this box under the steering wheel? IMG_2346
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
While I'm not 100% sure, I think that may be the receiver box for the remote key fobs. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Either Heated seat module or Inverter for the 115v outlet.

From the Alpine X409-WRA-JL restyle install instructions
Jeep Wrangler JL What is this box under the steering wheel? inverter.JPG

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Wow so no fun with this thread then.... what ever happened to hey I have this thing under my dash and it is square and has some writing on it..... Oh I don't have any pictures but I might be able to get one in a week or so? no that is a thread.... :facepalm:

OP
OP
scarleton

scarleton

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
Wow so no fun with this thread then.... what ever happened to hey I have this thing under my dash and it is square and has some writing on it..... Oh I don't have any pictures but I might be able to get one in a week or so? no that is a thread.... :facepalm:
heheheheh Nope!!! It helps that I am also a photographer, never leave a situation unphotographed, if you can help it!!!!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
scarleton

scarleton

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
Either Heated seat module or Inverter for the 115v outlet.

From the Alpine X409-WRA-JL restyle install instructions
My jeep has the inverter, but not heated seats, so... it must be the inverter. Thanks for the info.

I just watched the install video on the Alpine X409-WRA-JL and that was very interesting.

I do have one question, though... what does the Alpine X409-WRA-JL do that justifies the $3000 price tag? It looks great and it would be cool to have one, but not at that price tag, any idea why folks buy it?

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
That's the first thing I thought when I saw the thread, "is there a picture this time???"

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
heheheheh Nope!!! It helps that I am also a photographer, never leave a situation unphotographed, if you can help it!!!!!!
LOL so you live by the motto "pictures or it didn't happen."

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My jeep has the inverter, but not heated seats, so... it must be the inverter. Thanks for the info.

I just watched the install video on the Alpine X409-WRA-JL and that was very interesting.

I do have one question, though... what does the Alpine X409-WRA-JL do that justifies the $3000 price tag? It looks great and it would be cool to have one, but not at that price tag, any idea why folks buy it?
No Idea.... I had bought a restyle for my JK and had it a week before I sent it back. They used a light sensor on the from to tell the screen if it was day or night instead of the trigger wire from the headlights. It would change all the time when it was overcast and daytime. very annoying. Hopefully they fixed that.

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
So, in a hunt for a place to mount the base unit of my HAM I took the panel off below the steering wheel and found what looks like a GREAT location, except there is this box. My friend that was helping me said that he mounted something on a box in his motorcycle that was the pitch sensor. He said he put rubber between what he mounted and the sensor. I do have the Rubicon that does have the pitch & roll sensor built in, so I figured it was best to find out what this box is before mounting something to it. Here are some pictures:

See.. this guy knows how to ask what something is...with pics!

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.6, 6 Speed Manual. 2006 BMW 330i 6 Speed Manual with 258k Miles.
That's where I mounted my Midland MXT275 GMRS Radio control head, I was wondering what was suppose to go there.

Vahdettin

First Name
Vahdettin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
This is where I mounted my dual-bander Kenwood. It was such a big space, I‘ve also been curious what it’s used for on other models so thanks!

Honestly, it’s such a perfect, secure mount-point for a ham radio, I’m now glad I don’t have the inverter.
Sponsored