Sponsored

What is the worst dealer behavior that you've observed?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I actually have a copy of TValue which is the software that bankers use to calculate interest rates, payments, terms, etc.
A $55,000.00 loan over 72 months at $1,228.00 per month works out to 17.145% interest, or more colloquially known as credit card interest ... LOL
The total interest paid would be $33,416.00. On the upside, your last payment would only be $1,210.71 :)
That would be a typical interest rate for someone with a 550 credit score
Sponsored

mrbsharkey

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black JLUR
The unknown here is the credit rating of the borrower, how far upside down they were on a trade (doesn't appear to be the case here), how much down money, LTV etc. I could see someone with marginal credit financing 100% paying high rates. I know someone who has great credit but over financed their new $40 VW way over LTV due to being $20K upside down on the trade, they are paying 9.9% on their new loan for 72 months.
I see your point. It happens my situation was actually quite ideal. My trade in (2018 JL) is paid off, and I have excellent credit. Although, she wouldn't have known this at the time of this conversation, because she didn't ask.

I would think that someone with marginal credit could pay 17% from some of the predatory lenders who make those loans that banks won't.
Predatory is definitely the word for this situation. Also "flailing," in that they were throwing punches in the dark with their offer. I would assume they'd first try to finance through Jeep. Their first offer sounds like a predatory last resort. I'd say it was probably stupidity more than intentional tbh though.

Too bad for them. I would have bought that jeep on the spot for something a bit lower than MSRP. They could've made a little profit, I wasn't asking for below cost or anything the sharks on this forum seem to get :)

MarkM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Project Manager
First you have to understand that I'm OCD about my vehicles. That includes no eating in the Jeep. Many owners do it; I don't. So my brand new Jeep GC was in for service of some kind. With less than 1,000 miles it still smelled/felt showroom fresh. When I got the GC home I noticed two white footprints in the back seat floor mats. My eyes then shifted to the half-eaten bean burrito sitting on the rear seat and leaking through the perforated leather. An employee had used my Jeep for his/her lunch break. BTW, the dealer was in Denver Metro and is now out of business.
Jeep or otherwise? The Audi dealership managed to burn my car to the ground, was found at fault, and refused to refund me for the "service" that caused it.

The Jeep dealer in Fort Collins has been pretty good after a little run in with a service writer. He was upset with me wanting to get the steering issue fixed. When I asked about the TSB, he went off about people just wanting freebies, he could drive it and disprove me, etc.

Once the master technician drove it, they agreed it needed to be done and we are now waiting on parts.

They have been great with me since, get me in on time, discounts on parts, which I really do not need, but do appreciate. I think once he figured out that I am not there to be scamming them, I wouldn't have even seen the TSB were I not researching the loose steering issue to begin with, they have really come around and and help a lot!

MarkM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Project Manager
So it just would not be right if I started the other tread... ā€œWhat is the best dealer behavior that youā€™ve observed?ā€.....

and did not reply to this one.... I donā€™t really have a dealer story but I do have a mod shop or two to share.

As I was preparing to purchase my ā€˜20 Sahara, I had conversations with the dealer and 2 mode shops. I told them exactly what I was looking to do. They asked a few questions, took my contact info and said they would work up some prices and get back to them. Told them I had about a $4,500 to $6,500 budget beyond the purchase of the new Sahara. Two weeks later I heard nothing back from either shop. I reached out to both of them again and spoke directly to the persons I spoke to the previous time. Both of them were owners of their individual shop. Again they did not get back to me.

Close of the story, most of the work got done but not a dime of the money went through their shops. They could not pay me to do business with them.

Actually, that's a great idea! Dealers get beat up so much as is, and often, it is rightfully so, but we should make an effort to point out the ones who go above and beyond.

Having worked with clients of my own for years, I am amazed how many times I have to deal with customers who almost appear to go out of their way to stick me with something or get freebies they are not entitled to.

The worst ones are those who break or damage something, then act like they are entitled. Thank God that is only a few percent, but every contract or project I start makes me wonder in the back of my mind...

I am sure dealers see it all as well. I assume most folks here are on the up and up, but I get how the dealers probably approach every interaction with some skepticism. I get it, when folks just show up and it is some odd request, the steering TSB was mine, they have to weigh the options on the fly and make split second determinations. If they get short with someone, that is bad, but I get that they also need to stand their ground, more so if someone is not being reasonable.

I think a lot of it is just establishing a report. Once everyone figures out where each other is coming from, things usually go so much better. You just have to get there.

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018
Excited to leave the dealer with a fresh new Jeep and when saying good bye to the manager I told him that I was to go back soon to see the possibility to buy also a Dodge Charger. He immediatly said: "I donĀ“t recommend it. You need to put a lot of money as initial". Ok. If they donĀ“t want me to sell a second car there I went to a Toyota for my Camry then.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Excited to leave the dealer with a fresh new Jeep and when saying good bye to the manager I told him that I was to go back soon to see the possibility to buy also a Dodge Charger. He immediatly said: "I donĀ“t recommend it. You need to put a lot of money as initial". Ok. If they donĀ“t want me to sell a second car there I went to a Toyota for my Camry then.
Seriously, you compare a Charger with a Camry ? No comparison comparing engine options of the Charger. Hell Cat baby!
Sponsored