Sponsored

What is the worst dealer behavior that you've observed?

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Man, I could go on and on about my JLU purchasing experience.
Quick synopsis...
Found Wrangler I wanted
Went in with financing in hand
Made it known from the start I had financing
Argued for 3-4 hours over price and trade value
They would have lost me 15 minutes into that. I’ve negotiated price over email or text the last few vehicles. Typically in and out of the dealer in less than an hour. Only polite declines of the perfunctory upcharges in finance necessary.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
stopped at one ford dealership and looked at a f-350. the sales guy came out and told me you cant afford it. i walked away. that dealer went down hill.

walked into a another ford dealer asking about the ranger fx4 back in 1998. the guy told me it was sold. i asked about the other 10 that was on the lot. he said sold and walked away.
eventually was bought out by another ford dealer. which is a better dealer.

remember saturn. test drove aone. sat down to negotiate. that went south (sort of) because they were a no haggle pricing. they quoted me more then what i could get for a mustang. but remembered that sales guy loved kicking in the door panel to show you the durability of the paint and plastic door panel. yes plastic.

stopped and looked at a corvette after work so i was in a postal uniform. a sales guy came out and said why do you want a corvette. dont you guys want to work slower to collect more of our tax money, which will cause us to pay more taxes to pay your salary. i walked away. 6 months later the dealership closed.

look at nissan altima. asked the sales guy about ordering a v6 and the guy said no you have to buy whats on the lot, which all of them has 4 cyl motors. they losted the sale.

when i had my cavalier, i get it back with cig smell in the car. both seat reclined in the homeboy driving style. all the mirrors adjusted and the radio been adjusted to rap setting. that dealership is gone.

same chevy dealership tried to sell me $700 in preventative maintenance when i went in for a oil change. the car only had 3000 miles on it.

stopped at a bmw dealership to test drive a 328 (i think). first the guy said fresh off the delivery truck. mean while he's cleaning the leaves out of the engine bay and dusting the car off. (strike 1) asked about the turbo problems. the guy said who cares, its under warranty. (strike 2). asked about test driving one. the guy said lets talk price. (strike 3). and walked out.

when i had my grand cherokee they refused to fix the auto up window after replacing the window regulator. another time they didnt want to clean up the oil mess after changing the oil. that was the last time i went there.

same dealership, my buddy had a rattle and squeaking noise from his ram 1500. for 28 days and arguing the service guy said no noise dectected. they simply did want to fix it, until the corporate office got involved. the 29th day they fixed it and told him dont bring the truck back here again. my buddy did get a full lifetime warranty on the truck. which means no cost on any repairs. he ended up selling the ram for a chevy 1500.

walked out on a sale on a 19 jlu sport s. the sale lady said we dont discount and you will be sorry if i walked out on this deal. well, i walked out and scored on a 19 jl sport. couldnt be happier. was tempted to stop by the last dealership and rub it in, but didnt.

a lot of dealers by me are @$$h*les and expect you to tune to their song and dance. they want to smell like a rose while you are standing in a pile of $h*t. theres very few dealership that works with you where both sides win at the end of the day.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I still say model to model, option to option your $10,000 figure is total BS ! Take any Jeep on the Jeep.com build and price page, build a 2020 and a 2021, same model, same options and you will not find more than a $1000 price increase. I still say you are full of chit claiming the price of the 2021 over the 2020 is $10,000 more.
Just a tip...Quotes are helpful so that we can know who exactly is on the receiving end of your wrath here.
my apologies: I thought I'd quoted the person, but it's quite obvious (or should be) that It didn't format or quote as expected...hopefully, that's changed, now ;)

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Obviously you received copies and at the worst your daughter should still have the emails. This is a significant purchase after all. Why not share pictures of the copies? Dealers are notoriously crummy but the saying "buyers are liars" is equally true. Saying the dealer jumped from an agreed price of 38k to 48k is quite the accusation.
I have a copy of the original sales order with the 38893 pricing on it, but we were in a hurry to get out of there after 5 hours & I didn't want to stand around and wait for additional copies...my daughter has copies, but I don't (she lives with my ex, not with me)..with all that's gone on the last couple days, I'm not going to push my daughter to provide me with copies just to prove myself: believe me or don't, but bottom line: regardless of what the lease payment calculator shows for the cost, it cost an additional 5K out of pocket with an additional 2K from dealer to get the payments to around $200.....y'all can beleive whatever you want, I'm done arguing with a bunch of keyboard warriors

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
I have a copy of the original sales order with the 38893 pricing on it, but we were in a hurry to get out of there after 5 hours & I didn't want to stand around and wait for additional copies...my daughter has copies, but I don't (she lives with my ex, not with me)..with all that's gone on the last couple days, I'm not going to push my daughter to provide me with copies just to prove myself: believe me or don't, but bottom line: regardless of what the lease payment calculator shows for the cost, it cost an additional 5K out of pocket with an additional 2K from dealer to get the payments to around $200.....y'all can beleive whatever you want, I'm done arguing with a bunch of keyboard warriors
So it's $5000 or $10,000. I think the problem here is you need a payment of $200 a month to afford to buy the Jeep and can't seem to make that happen. Leases are a whole different animal than an outright purchase, dealer will screw you every time on a lease. That is why they push them.

Sponsored

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Was all set to buy a blue streak power wagon but missed the order cutoff so I had to find one in stock somewhere and buy it. This was at the end of last year.

I have weird wants, one was not to have a sunroof and after hearing the harmon larson system next to the alpine one, I wanted the 12" screen with alpine.

I find exactly what I want in new mexico. My dealer says it's not available. Okay I'll look some more.

I find almost what I want. It has the crappy factory nutsert mounted steps, but no sunroof 12" screen and alpine in blue streak with the laramie package.

Dealer and I agree on a price, fee to ship it in from Montana where it's located. They call to make sure it's available, reserve it and pull the keys.

I do a load of paperwork give them a boatload of money down, they check my credit, get me approved for the amount I wanted to finance and it's all done. I start getting emails from mopar to setup u connect remote tools etc. Leave excited.

Weekend comes and goes more emails from mopar, holiday the following Monday, Tuesday I get a call from the dealer. "Hey just wanted to let you know your truck was damaged. It's under $500 but we wanted to let you know." I said okay what's damaged. "Oh sorry I don't know let me call the dealer that has it." I said call me back when you know.

Dealer calls back. "My apologies it's closer $1500 in damage. Did you want to go through with the deal?". I said again what's damaged? As you can imagine by the time you buy the surround cameras the side mirror could be close to 1500.

Dealer again tells me he doesn't know what the damage is. He will call me back. Dealer calls back. "So I apologize, the damage is closer to 15,000 and FCA won't release the truck for sale." Furious I lit into him. Pissed that it took 3 calls to get that sorted.

Cancel the deal but still pissed because there was no other build like that available I'd have to compromise on something and the new hydro blue looks pathetic compared to blue streak IMO.

Now at this point I'm out additional end of year incentives, have a hit on my credit plus all my time. Dealer says they will find another that is acceptable.

They find one near vegas. It's "New" with 2500 miles on it. I ask about the miles and that it looks used. But otherwise agree since warranty starts at purchase mileage. Dealer says okay we will reserve it when can you come in to do paperwork? I stop in after lunch and they tell me the dealer in Vegas won't give up the truck because it's the owners toy. Fantastic owner use a vehicle as a toy but never register it so you can sell it new. Nice if you would have called me before I drive up here.

There was a period there if the dealership trying to order a hydro blue one just so I could see one in person without any commitment. That cluster went on for a week.

Y'all remember that first one that was exactly what I wanted? Well turns out my dealer lied. They never called never checked just said nope. 4 weeks later it's still listed. Pissed, I contact an alternative local ram dealer who tells me there isn't a single blue streak available in the USA. I immediately hung up cause that dealer is either incompetent or also liars. Call dealer number 3.

Dealer number three. Straight shooter. Honest actually worth my time. We discuss pricing how much it would cost to bring in etc. He mentions they have a maximum steel one on the lot. Can make a better deal than the other dealer plus no shipping. I go to look at it and it's late, dark, dirty. I like what I can see of the color but wanna see it in the daylight. Ask them to wash it, put a $1000 deposit on it pending I like the color in the day light. Supposed to come back Saturday to a clean truck.

Come back Saturday, truck is still in the same spot. Still dirty. Go get the dealer to take it though the wash. Now this next bit isn't on the dealer it's solely on FCA. He starts the truck and this God awful squeak starts like it's already spun a bearing. He drives it through the wash brings it back. Horrendous squeaking. Others standing on the lot actually turned their head to see what jalopy was being traded in.

I told him to have it checked for what's failed. He tells me that squeak is normal. Start another 3 power wagons and sure enough all three have it in greater or lesser degrees.

I walked away and did some research the hd 6.4 has been squeaking like that since 2014 at least and FCA / Dealers consider it normal. Not about to pay 60k for a truck that sounds 20 years old with 160k on it.

All this to say the universe works out because a couple months later I stumble upon a mint 1998 12 valve 5 speed in the blue I wanted when I was 15. Snagged it same day.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
A couple years ago I dropped my Ram off at the dealership. When watching the dashcam footage they took it out to lunch at Wendy's. They ate in for about 30 minutes then drove it back. Must be nice to joy ride customer vehicles whenever they please.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
So it's $5000 or $10,000. I think the problem here is you need a payment of $200 a month to afford to buy the Jeep and can't seem to make that happen. Leases are a whole different animal than an outright purchase, dealer will screw you every time on a lease. That is why they push them.
Lease is just a different financial tool than a purchase. If you understand how they work, not a lot of difference than a purchase finance deal, and depending on your situation it could be a better or worse solution.

Some dealers will try and screw you every time - doesn't matter if it is lease, finance, cash purchase, or trading animal pelts...

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
The problem is is that you seem to know everything. This is a vehicle for my 20-year-old daughter who yes cannot afford more than 200 a month. But when the jeep website shows the price with $10,000 down as a $200 lease payment and the dealer tries to calculate it at 500 there’s definitely something wrong.
Furthermore because you’re not a fan of a lease doesn’t mean that a lease is not a good option for other people

Finnley

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon
When I grew up I became responsible for my spelling, didn’t rely on some program to keep an eye on me. I also didn’t blame someone when it was my fault. Just different standards I guess.
And, as for grammar, screw it.

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The problem is is that you seem to know everything. This is a vehicle for my 20-year-old daughter who yes cannot afford more than 200 a month. But when the jeep website shows the price with $10,000 down as a $200 lease payment and the dealer tries to calculate it at 500 there’s definitely something wrong.
Furthermore because you’re not a fan of a lease doesn’t mean that a lease is not a good option for other people
Well I do know enough about the car and finance business having spent many years in both. No offense but your daughter needs to find a vehicle she can afford. If you see the ads for leases, those $200 a month payments are for entry level vehicles that cost less than $15K. You are looking at what a $40K Jeep and expecting the payment you'd have for a Honda Civic ? That $10,000 down only lowers the payment, it doesn't do anything for you. At the end of the lease you have to come up with another $10,000 to do it all over again. You might get that $200 payment but if you figure in the $10,000 you drop down to get it there, the payment would have been several hundred more. For the average person it is a rip off to get them in a vehicle they can't otherwise afford. Leases are best for a business where it can be written off on taxes. I'm not sticking up for the dealer because they will take advantage of anyone who doesn't know how to play the game and that is most people.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Leases are best for a business where it can be written off on taxes.
There are a couple of other scenarios - one is for people who want a new car smell regularly and don't want to hassle with selling. Another is that some cars have heavily subsidized leases so you can get something you want for very little money and then walk away before the warranty ends. My wife had electric Fiats - no way we're owning one of them out of warranty, and the lease price was very low due to an inflated residual. In my case with the JL I wasn't sure it was going to work out long-term so a lease is a relatively low-risk experiment. Wranglers are a bit odd though as they maintain value better than most vehicles, so there are advantages going either purchase or lease. If you do purchase and decide to sell you're losing the entire sales tax though - btdt. At this point I'll either buy the JL at the end or trade it for a Rubi if a dealer makes the deal worthwhile.

Agree that probably most often it is for people to drive more car than they really can/should afford.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There are a couple of other scenarios - one is for people who want a new car smell regularly and don't want to hassle with selling. Another is that some cars have heavily subsidized leases so you can get something you want for very little money and then walk away before the warranty ends. My wife had electric Fiats - no way we're owning one of them out of warranty, and the lease price was very low due to an inflated residual. In my case with the JL I wasn't sure it was going to work out long-term so a lease is a relatively low-risk experiment. Wranglers are a bit odd though as they maintain value better than most vehicles, so there are advantages going either purchase or lease. If you do purchase and decide to sell you're losing the entire sales tax though - btdt. At this point I'll either buy the JL at the end or trade it for a Rubi if a dealer makes the deal worthwhile.

Agree that probably most often it is for people to drive more car than they really can/should afford.
Honestly the best way to afford a Jeep for many is to buy one that is 2 years old. I bought my 2016 Rubicon that had every option in the book for $30,400 in the June of 2018. That was close to half the sticker for a new one at the time. It had 25,000 miles on it and never had been modified or taken off road. It still had the "new" car smell with the leather seats but then again you can buy the same freshener the dealer uses and keep it smelling that way. You can buy the 7 year extended warranty that covers everything for about 3K if warranty is an issue for you.

If you buy a 2018 Wrangler now, your daughter can save a lot of money, own it and have equity when she pays it off and who is going to know it's not new, the 2018s look the same as the 2021s and probably the 2022s and 2023s when they come out. If she has great credit then she should be able to get a good rate on a loan but a $200 payment, not sure about that unless there is a pretty good down payment. A $200 payment is basically a 10 - 12 thousand loan.

Having said that, I'm ordering a new Rubicon Gladiator with a diesel in Nov. I don't want to wait until they are 2 years old.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
They would have lost me 15 minutes into that. I’ve negotiated price over email or text the last few vehicles. Typically in and out of the dealer in less than an hour. Only polite declines of the perfunctory upcharges in finance necessary.
I am currently in the midst of negotiations. The online back and forth is much easier.
I've noticed when you ask for the 'out the door' price, they reply with, "when can I make an appointment for you to come test drive the vehicle."
Listen, dealerships, I have had too many vehicles in my life to show up and be a giddy teenage girl during a test drive. I want to see in black and white itemized costs. I have financing in place, what is the final price tag.
Then, I will drop this Wrangler off and go back and forth on the trade-in.
Should be an exciting weekend.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
My pet peeve is when CDJR dealers dual their showroom with some other brand, will never get my business.

Made the mistake of stopping at one dealer yrs back looking for a WJ with the 4.7 and NV 242HD t-case, knew they had it on their lot from Jeep site. This dealer was dualed with friggen Mazda and I must of lucked out and got the Mazda douche salesman who thinks people are stupid.

Jeep had a 2000 rebate. So go out walking lot and find the Grand. and Mazda dude comes running over, so cool I thought, told him interested in it and would like to talk price. Follow him into office and he hands me a written amount on a copy of sticker, which was the MSRP LOL. I ask him is that really the price? He replies yes, so I show him the literature I printed off including the rebate, so he hands me it back and subtracts the rebate?? I see all the "Mazda" awards on his desk. ask him again if that is the best price? He smiles and says yes. So I tell him, maybe Mazda customers are stupid and pay sticker, but Jeep customers dont, got up and walked out. His jaw dropped, as I left.

Bought the WJ at another dealer who gave me a grand off Invoice plus the rebate, re-balanced all the wheels with the weights moved to the inside and they also changed the front brakes from the Teeves to Akebono calipers so I didnt have to worry about the issues with the Teeves.

I think when Mopar consolidated the franchises, these idiots lost theirs and rightfully so, screw Mazda in a Jeep showroom!
Sponsored