Sponsored

What is the worst dealer behavior that you've observed?

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Once the deposit was received I contacted Fitzpatrick's Jeep in Ansonia CT and could not have been treated better. I went from leasing a Civic to purchasing my first Jeep due to this horrible experience! Every time I pass Babylon Honda I'm tempted to send them a cake to thank them for my JLR which I am in love with :giggle:
Sounds like you learned an important lesson very early: never, EVER buy a new car from a Long Island dealer (I, too, got my JL at Fitzpatrick).
Sponsored

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Back in 2003 I stopped by a large Toyota dealer because they had the exact new Tacoma I was looking to buy. I had worked all day and it was getting to be evening and the dealership was closing soon. The salesman was outside smoking a cig (not a good look, really) and acted like I wasn't even there even though I saw him watching me look at the truck. I approached him and expressed interest in the truck and the guy looks at me and says "what's your credit score?" I responded with "huh?" He goes "yeah, what's your credit score!?" I said "I have no idea what my credit score is because I don't ever run it, but that's not the point here. I'm looking to buy a new Tacoma." He goes, and I sh!t you not, "you wouldn't qualify anyway." I laughed in the guy's face and headed 20 miles north the following day and bought the truck from a different dealer who just did a swap with them. To this day I have no idea what that guy's problem was, but he sure didn't want to sell cars.

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Well, this one involves my current JLU. I bought a used '19 with about 16K on it. Pretty good price and during the finance part I was talked into getting all the extras, extended warranty, etc.
Problems: 1- only got one key- that problem involved about 6 trips to the dealership to get resolved. 2- during the 60-day period to cancel extended warranties, I did just that, in writing. That process took over 6 months, many emails, phone calls to the dealer, the finance company (which was on my side, and was a huge help-thanks PNC). The main problem was that during the buying process, I was never told it was my legal right to cancel the extended warranties- I had to do a bit of legwork on that. 3- little things, like during the test drive the freedom panel bag was in the back, but upon delivery, it was gone. That took several calls/visits to get the salesman to hand one over.
I also found out through getting an extra key that aftermarket key fobs cannot be cut for the new blade key style. I managed to get the aftermarket one I had bought returned with no problems.
If you want to, I'll tell you where this is so you can avoid the place and save yourself some trouble.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Back in 2003 I stopped by a large Toyota dealer because they had the exact new Tacoma I was looking to buy. I had worked all day and it was getting to be evening and the dealership was closing soon. The salesman was outside smoking a cig (not a good look, really) and acted like I wasn't even there even though I saw him watching me look at the truck. I approached him and expressed interest in the truck and the guy looks at me and says "what's your credit score?" I responded with "huh?" He goes "yeah, what's your credit score!?" I said "I have no idea what my credit score is because I don't ever run it, but that's not the point here. I'm looking to buy a new Tacoma." He goes, and I sh!t you not, "you wouldn't qualify anyway." I laughed in the guy's face and headed 20 miles north the following day and bought the truck from a different dealer who just did a swap with them. To this day I have no idea what that guy's problem was, but he sure didn't want to sell cars.
This^ exact story happened to us one year when my wife was buying. She was an ultrasound tech making a nice salary and decided to go the SUV route so she could make it to work on snowy days.
I wasnā€™t Jeep educated in those days so any SUV was on the menu. Almost exactly as Summer4x said above we stop at a Chevy dealer. Weā€™re looking through the SUV windows in the parking lot. No one comes out to ask if we need help.
Typical woman (my wife) sheā€™s only interested because ā€œthis one has nice cup holdersā€.
We walk inside the guy is sitting at his desk with his feet up. We tell him weā€™d like to see a certain vehicle. The guy actually said to us ā€œletā€™s crunch the numbers to see if itā€™s in your budget.ā€ We were like ā€œsee yaā€.
We drive maybe a quarter mile down the same road to the Ford dealer. The salesman was great, not pushy and very attentive. Had the sale within the hour.
My only regret was not going back to that idiot and waving the contract in his face and telling him ā€œgood job, youā€™re going places ā€œ!

RubiconTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Secret City Dodge, worst dealership in Tennessee. The name says it all, the price is a ā€˜Secretā€™ unless you promise to purchase before getting an otd price.

Sponsored

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Sounds like you learned an important lesson very early: never, EVER buy a new car from a Long Island dealer (I, too, got my JL at Fitzpatrick).
Yup same in NJ. Got mine from Fitzpatrick as well. Couldn't be happier.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Because the 21s now have the technology package included. That was one of the price increases, the difference between the 2021 in the be at base MSRP was another one, increase in price plus their mark up everything else it was about $10,000. The note that she signed when she ordered the jeep back in June was for 38 the sheet that they just brought out to have her sign was for 48 and tell me how 38 to 48 is not a $10,000 increase
On top of the fact that she has multiple emails from the dealer and the sales people telling her that she will not have to pay any difference between the 20 and 21 because it was their fault for sitting on the order for 10 days yet they refused to honor that as well
I still say model to model, option to option your $10,000 figure is total BS ! Take any Jeep on the Jeep.com build and price page, build a 2020 and a 2021, same model, same options and you will not find more than a $1000 price increase. I still say you are full of chit claiming the price of the 2021 over the 2020 is $10,000 more.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I still say model to model, option to option your $10,000 figure is total BS ! Take any Jeep on the Jeep.com build and price page, build a 2020 and a 2021, same model, same options and you will not find more than a $1000 price increase. I still say you are full of chit claiming the price of the 2021 over the 2020 is $10,000 more.
In fairness, he did say in his post ā€œ...increase in price plus their mark up...ā€

There appears to be a shortage of Wranglers at the moment, given the plant and dealership shutdowns we had. I can see some dealers trying to take advantage of the situation.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
and you are obviously ignorant in your thinking that all stealerships are honest and above board: furthermore, you have absolutely ZERO business telling someone that they're full of it when you have absolutely ZERO knowledge of any of the paperwork that we signed or were presented when we arrived to pick up her jeep. you need to work on your know-it-all attitude & get your head out of your ass

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
and you are obviously ignorant in your thinking that all stealerships are honest and above board: furthermore, you have absolutely ZERO business telling someone that they're full of it when you have absolutely ZERO knowledge of any of the paperwork that we signed or were presented when we arrived to pick up her jeep. you need to work on your know-it-all attitude & get your head out of your ass
Just a tip...Quotes are helpful so that we can know who exactly is on the receiving end of your wrath here.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Man, I could go on and on about my JLU purchasing experience.
Quick synopsis...
Found Wrangler I wanted
Went in with financing in hand
Made it known from the start I had financing
Argued for 3-4 hours over price and trade value
They finally agreed
Guy pulls out credit application
Once again reminded him Iā€™m good with financing
Guy tells me thatā€™s why they agreed to price
Guy says, sign the papers today and refinance tomorrow
I guess the dude didnā€™t realize I knew my rate would increase based on new - used/refi
Needless to say, I left with my financing and their Jeep
The ā€œbest they could doā€ was .20 lower, then went on to tell me how much money per month Iā€™d save
I could add a small book to complete my experience with this dealership.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Obviously you received copies and at the worst your daughter should still have the emails. This is a significant purchase after all. Why not share pictures of the copies? Dealers are notoriously crummy but the saying "buyers are liars" is equally true. Saying the dealer jumped from an agreed price of 38k to 48k is quite the accusation.
Sponsored

Last edited: