Sponsored

What is the worst dealer behavior that you've observed?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A honda dealer near me refused to honor a battery warranty. The battery that died had a 100 month warranty and I had it for 48 months so I should have gotten 50% credit toward a new battery.

They looked it up in their book, with me standing there, and said "the new battery should be 50% off because of the warranty but your replacement will be full price." I confirmed a few times that they won't honor the 50% off and they said they will not.

Waited an hour and a half to buy a Costco battery (ended up being the same price as the 50% off dealer battery). Then gave the dealer a 1 star review. They called back asking for another chance and I told them that won't be happening. They then asked me to edit out their names on the review and I told them to pound sand.
I find it funny when they contact you to give them another chance.

The same thing happened with my Jeep dealer: after I left them a scathing online review, the general manager replies asking for another chance. I told him “Sorry, I tried to have the damn Jeep fixed THREE times. You guys blew it every time.”
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’m getting older, still work 6 days, love my Jeep naked but was getting tired of the soft top/hard top switch every 6 months.
Did the research on the Sky One and decide to pull the trigger.
Boring Sunday, June 2019 I say to my wife “wanna take a ride to the dealership? I’m probably gonna upgrade.”
Get to the dealer around 11:50, I say hello and tell the girl at the front desk we’re looking into trading in. She says “I’m a little short on dealers right now.” I say ok I’ll wait. There’s 3 dealers at 3 different tables talking to families.
About 12:20 the first guy finishes up shakes hands, says good luck to the customer. I say to my wife “ok it’s showtime”.
No BS the dude walks right past our table and doesn’t say a word to us. He goes outside and is just standing there with hands in pocket. I said maybe he’s on break. Within 15 minutes the other 2 dealers finish and join the first guy outside.
Around 12:40 my wife said “go tell the girl or those dealers we’re waiting”. I said nope, no f**kin way. I’m the customer they should come to me.
We sit there till 1:05, still no one including the girl has said a word to us. I say to the wife “let’s go”.
We drive to another dealership about 10 miles away and by 3:00 they had a $50,000 dollar sale.
It’s amazing how poor help can ruin a business.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership telling me that they are "elbo deep" working on my jeep right now. I logged into my Waylens dash cam with 4G connection and its setting in the same place I parked it 4 days earlier. I didn't show my hand but I did just happen to be in town and showed up to get something out of jeep sure enough still there... needless to say I lost it on the service manager.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership telling me that they are "elbo deep" working on my jeep right now. I logged into my Waylens dash cam with 4G connection and its setting in the same place I parked it 4 days earlier. I didn't show my hand but I did just happen to be in town and showed up to get something out of jeep sure enough still there... needless to say I lost it on the service manager.
Hahahaha that’s a good one Rusty!
Talk about being busted in a lie.
“Elbow deep” you can’t make this s**t up.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I shouldn’t steal someone’s thunder but I remember a poster saying in another thread he had a sports car and pulled up to the dealership in time to catch some tech peeling out and doing donuts in the parking lot.

Sponsored

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
The service guys liked to play "What's making that noise!", after I picked up my Jeep on two occasions. Heard noises under my hood after hitting bumps. Popped opened the hood to find a two feet long pry bar! Luckily it didn't fall behind the radiator into the belts and pullies.

The second time, after getting a new rear axle, I heard scraping at low speeds around the wheel well. I couldn't see anything at first, but noticed a bungie chord that was entangled at the wheel!

I'm hoping next time they leave me a power tool or a misplaced wallet!

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
A honda dealer near me refused to honor a battery warranty. The battery that died had a 100 month warranty and I had it for 48 months so I should have gotten 50% credit toward a new battery.

They looked it up in their book, with me standing there, and said "the new battery should be 50% off because of the warranty but your replacement will be full price." I confirmed a few times that they won't honor the 50% off and they said they will not.

Waited an hour and a half to buy a Costco battery (ended up being the same price as the 50% off dealer battery). Then gave the dealer a 1 star review. They called back asking for another chance and I told them that won't be happening. They then asked me to edit out their names on the review and I told them to pound sand.
Same thing happened to me at my dealer. 34 months on new battery and 84 month warranty. They said because I did not the battery and the previous owners did, the warranty was not transferable to me.

WT actual F...

By the way - anyone notice how bad spell check is for this forum app and how bad typing seems to be. I usually don’t have issues when texting or emailing, only seems to be an issue on this freaking forum. I just misspelled purchase and it auto corrected to Richard...

Rockywoolf

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon
I took my 2005 built LJ into a jeep dealer in our states capital so that they could do about 3k worth of camshaft related work. When I picked it up the cruise control wasn’t working. I called them and they told me to bring it in and they would “look at it” but didn’t think it was their problem. I explained that when I drove it to their shop for the camshaft work, I used cruise, when I picked it up it didn’t work. I even showed them a picture of the engine compartment showing the cruise module in place. Long story short, they basically told me to go f myself, they didn’t even offer to fix it for a price. I will never go to that jeep, dodge dealer again and have and will continue to tell fellow keepers, friends and family not to go to the jeep dealer in Nevada’s capital city.. otherwise than that, I have had excellent service at all the dealerships I have been to. My JL was just checked for the clutch issue, in and out with a smile and no charge. That was at a different dealership

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Before we were married, my wife had a salesman throw her keys on the roof when she said she needed to think about the new car deal they offered her. He told her that she should think fast because he didn't have a ladder. This was at a large Ford dealer in the Phoenix, AZ area. Same dealer has multiple dealerships including Jeep.

Rockywoolf

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon
Before we were married, my wife had a salesman throw her keys on the roof when she said she needed to think about the new car deal they offered her. He told her that she should think fast because he didn't have a ladder. This was at a large Ford dealer in the Phoenix, AZ area. Same dealer has multiple dealerships including Jeep.
I witnessed the same thing happen in the 90s at a Las Vegas Toyota dealer. The lady called the cops and they never Showed up

Sponsored

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018
A
So true, the Toyota dealer experience was so much better than FCA. Toyota should just buy Jeep. LOL

My Tacoma, after regearing to 4.88 and installing the OV Tune was running like a champ. Very smooth. However, after one year of daily driving it, I still hated everything about the driver seat position, steering wheel position and rear view mirror (yeah, that's a problem too for taller people).

My favorite vehicle has been the Wrangler for decades, so when I realized how smooth JL's drive compared to JK's, it was over for the truck.
I Agree. I have both a Camry and a JL Sahara. Loved the jeep but they have the worst service dealer. Camry it´s a daily driver grandpa look car, but service at the dealer it´s amazing.

Wandering Zed

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon - White
Occupation
Quality Management
I had a salesman take my keys to look at a trade I was doing. When we were done negotiating and the deal fell through he told me to man up and not let my wife influence my decision. I told him to "eff off" and give me my keys. We bought at another dealership.

Another time we were told that we could not test drive a vehicle until we "showed them" that we were serious to buy that car. I told them I will not get serious until we can test drive it. We bought from somewhere else.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Recently my wife brought our new car to the dealership for it's first free oil change. A couple days later, the morning before her 1000 mile trip, I decided to check the level. It was overfilled!

So there I was 6am in the morning, before my work conference call, and my wife wanting to leave, carefully draining oil into an empty spaghetti jar. The dealership overfilled by half a quart or more.

OR, maybe they just topped off or did nothing and it was already overfilled. Because the oil seemed too dark to have just a few days earlier been changed. I'm puzzled by the situation and not happy, and will be doing my own oil changes on that car.

My grandpa who was a mechanic, later in life always made a mark on the oil filter, before bringing for a change. That way he would know for sure if the filter (and most likely oil) was changed. One time he caught someone who did not change the filter. I'm doing that if there is a next time.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Sheesh, these replies.. We've usually always had really helpful sales people.

The only time we've walked out on a dealership because of a salesman was because while looking for my wife a car, and kept dismissing her questions and explaining the vehicle to me only and asking me questions, after I repeatedly said "It's her car, ask her" and he just couldn't comprehend it, so we went to a different dealership that actually listened to what we were telling them.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
A few decades ago, we were shopping for Camaro. This was before all the internet resources were available and so I went to the library and did my research.

I learned what the dealer cost of what we wanted was plus their cost on any options. I read what the average person would pay for this or that and I presented a carefully compiled offer to some kid salesman.

He looked at the paper for a few seconds and replied that they weren't in the business of giving cars away. I pointed out that I made him a reasonable offer if he would just study it for a minute.

He didn't seem to want to negotiate so we went to another GM dealer that was actually closer to our house and showed them the exact same offer. After a bit of back room talk between the salesman and the sales manager they accepted my offer.

The funny thing is the vehicle we wanted in the color, etc., was at the dealer where the kid insulted us. They did a dealer swap. I was very tempted to remove the t-tops, drive it to that other dealer and toot the horn as I waved at the kid but I never did.
Sponsored