Sponsored

What is the turbo diesel about?

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
From what I understand a turbo diesel has less power but more torque than a conventional engine. What does that feel like in a Jeep?
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well, I had two 2005 Jeep KJs both with the diesel. I got Green Diesel Engineering to send me a tune for my second one. It increased power to 200 HP/370 torque and turned off the problematic EGR system.

The Jeep would average 26 MPGs in daily driving, which for me is about a 50/50 mix of city and highway. It would get 14 MPGs towing 7,000 lbs.

As far as what it feels like in a Jeep... it's addictive. Having gobs of torque just off idle is something that once you get used to, it's VERY hard to go back to gasoline engines again. Instead of downshifting and then accelerating with the tach needle swinging around the dial, the diesel can hold gear and put you into the seat. It'll also walk up a 6% grade at 70 miles per hour in top gear, which no gas Jeep has ever been able to do. I often found myself just dipping into the throttle pedal to feel the torque. It's a very different experience not having to downshift the trans. to speed up rapidly. I loved it.

When my JLU lease is at it's end, I'll test drive the diesel. It'll be in it's second year of production by then and the bugs will be worked out.

OP
OP

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
Thank you for the great description. Now I understand why the diesel will only be automatic although I still wish there were a manual option.

So what do you give up by going diesel compared to gas? Top speed?

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I ordered a JLU Sahara Unlimited with the 3.6L V6 as my first Jeep, down the road whenever I wish to buy a new one, or switch this one out I will be more leaning towards the diesel, its hard to beat it imo.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Thank you for the great description. Now I understand why the diesel will only be automatic although I still wish there were a manual option.

So what do you give up by going diesel compared to gas? Top speed?
The option for a MT, several thousand $$, and the ability to fill up at any gas station - although now that I drive a diesel, I've realized it's available more places than I thought it was.

Sponsored

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
The option for a MT, several thousand $$, and the ability to fill up at any gas station - although now that I drive a diesel, I've realized it's available more places than I thought it was.
MT is the only thing I'll miss with going diesel, but I was going to say, every station where I live diesel is served there, and normally cheaper by 5 cents~

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
MT is the only thing I'll miss with going diesel, but I was going to say, every station where I live diesel is served there, and normally cheaper by 5 cents~
Things will vary by location, and Canada may be even more differenter. Down here in cities diesel is probably at 50-60% of gas stations and 100% of truck stops. Pricing is weird though, here in California, it can be 20c cheaper, or 50c more - I'm not sure if diesel prices swing more, or the petrol ones do, but it's kind of annoying.

OP
OP

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
From a performance standpoint, does a gasoline engine have any advantages over a diesel engine?

Do we know if Jeep will offer an MT with the diesel later on?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Highly unlikely we will ever see a MT in the diesel JL or JT.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
From what I understand a turbo diesel has less power but more torque than a conventional engine. What does that feel like in a Jeep?
If you want to get a feel for it. Go test drive the Diesel Grand Cherokee, will give you a good general idea as its similar in weight to the Wrangler.

EDIT: Note the one in thats coming in the JL will be Gen 2 which should have more HP & TQ

Sponsored

Bluegoose972

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Firecracker Red, 1966 Mustang Convertible (rebuilding)
I don't miss my diesel at all. Sure it was nice to have the torque, but gasoline engines are more fun to drive. With my Ram 2500, the transmission shifts were so soft that it just wasn't exciting to drive. But I also wasn't pulling a trailer. If I was pulling around something like a boat or work trailer, the diesel would absolutely be the way to go.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Diesels are not the best vehicles for short runs or town hopping. They need long drives and towing to be happy with the emissions system in place.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
What about off-roading?
My guess is if it runs enough to get pretty hot, then emissions might not be a problem. Otherwise I’d expect it to have soot issues with the current emissions system.
Sponsored