Sponsored

What is the turbo diesel about?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, thought he was talking about the diesel. But yeah I think the 3.6 is a good engine, and much better than the 3.5, 3.7 and 3.8 engines it replaced. Not a torque monster by any means though but probably the best V6 engine I've owned in any of my vehicles.
The Pentastar is adequate, but thats about it. Its nothing special, and it works but its in no way fun, or enjoyable. I know the new 8 speed makes it a lot better then it is in my JKU, so I'm sure thats a help.
Sponsored

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think it depends on the type of emissions controls it has. The Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) from the late 2000s were notorious for clogging up if you did a lot of idling and didn't do long highway drives. My company bought a 2010 Freightliner bucket truck (does a lot of idling on PTO) that had a lot of issues with the DPF and it had to be removed to get all of the soot cleaned out. now we have to make sure it goes on a good long drive every once in a while to make sure it can regen fully.

We havent had any issues with the DEF trucks.
Big difference between a Freightliner engine and the Euro style car turbo diesels you get in BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo etc.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The Pentastar is adequate, but thats about it. Its nothing special, and it works but its in no way fun, or enjoyable. I know the new 8 speed makes it a lot better then it is in my JKU, so I'm sure thats a help.
Yeah I'm not sure how the 3.6 is with the 5 speed, but I'm pretty sure its still way better than the 3.8 v6 4 speed that I test drove a while back.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Big difference between a Freightliner engine and the Euro style car turbo diesels you get in BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo etc.
yes, but they still are required to have a DPF or DEF system. And its a Cummins in the Freightliner, they don't make their engines in house.

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
yes, but they still are required to have a DPF or DEF system. And its a Cummins in the Freightliner, they don't make their engines in house.
Agreed. From my experience at least on the Mercedes diesels, I've had zero issues with a daily driver other than replacing the "Blue" additive liquid required for their Bluetec.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. From my experience at least on the Mercedes diesels, I've had zero issues with a daily driver other than replacing the "Blue" additive liquid required for their Bluetec.
yeah, DEF systems don't have issues with a clogging filter.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
285 from a V6 is still pretty respectable. I'm totally happy with it.

Now, torque? Yes, you all know my feelings on that. We've had that discussion before. :)

But overall the P-star does a great job with the new transmissions and 3.45 axle ratio. It is a lot better than the JK setup.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I think everyone would love a V8 in the JL and upcoming JT, but its not happening and swaps are not cost effective. If I was going to drop $25K on that I would just rather buy a different daily driver and a turbo SXS.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase