Sponsored

What is the point of the limited slip differential?

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
LSD on street-use has little value even for a sports car, now on a race track at racing speeds it is a valuable option to have, I used to think having LSD on the street was desirable until a friend of mine (who won the Daytona 24 hour race) explained how and when LSD provides you advantages...
And that is when?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
it was explained to me that in any form of auto racing that involves turning corners, the quickest car will always be the one that can lay down more power sooner and stay on the throttle longer than the rest of the field. So in racing the LSD almost allows you to keep your foot to the floor through a corner where a car without LSD would result in a spin-out from applying power too long or too soon

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It still hasn't been answered why the OP didn't gain traction by the tire with traction. Snow, ice, sand, tire type doesn't matter. When one wheel spins, the clutch pack engages and shifts torque to the wheel with traction.

Unless the OP didn't give it enough beans, or perhaps it was very momentarily, it should have worked.

I have the anti-slip rear diff and it works for me really well when off roading.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
OP maybe your clutches are already shot? How many miles on your jeep?

Like one poster said, a clutch based limited slip isn't the greatest in this scenario, where one wheel has zero traction at all, but it should have at least put some power to the other tire that's on good ground, assuming the clutches are still in good shape.

There's a video demo of a ford truck clutch-based LS and a GM truck with eaton locker both going up a ramp with rollers on one side of the ramps. The clutches just can't handle that pressure differential, a true locker has no problem with it. I've owned both, the eaton system is sweet, but it bangs a little on engagement.

Sponsored

OP
OP

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
OP maybe your clutches are already shot? How many miles on your jeep?

Like one poster said, a clutch based limited slip isn't the greatest in this scenario, where one wheel has zero traction at all, but it should have at least put some power to the other tire that's on good ground, assuming the clutches are still in good shape.

There's a video demo of a ford truck clutch-based LS and a GM truck with eaton locker both going up a ramp with rollers on one side of the ramps. The clutches just can't handle that pressure differential, a true locker has no problem with it. I've owned both, the eaton system is sweet, but it bangs a little on engagement.
Under 10k miles. The car is just a year old. I'm starting to wonder if it was just a matter of it behaving and feeling different than the other cars I've driven. I've driven small, sporty cars for most of my life (other than the beat up Jeep Cherokee and Dodge Ram Charger I drove when I first started driving back in the 90s). I didn't get stuck, but I didn't expect to feel it slip.

So, more than likely this is just showing my ignorance than anything else. :)

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
In short , LSD’s are not the best concept in this jeep and I'm not sure why they offer them other than paired with full time “4wheel drive” system withclutch pack t-cases paired with limited slip diffs like on the WJ quadra drive ... same situation on the Sahara models. Its for people who aren't really into off roading and want to just have a vehicle what will rely on the computer and clutch packs to direct power to where it needs to go. Off road LSD’s are a disaster. Clutch packs have to be replaced. If you’re on tarmac they should be fine in oem format...

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
In short , LSD’s are not the best concept in this jeep and I'm not sure why they offer them other than paired with full time “4wheel drive” system withclutch pack t-cases paired with limited slip diffs like on the WJ quadra drive ... same situation on the Sahara models. Its for people who aren't really into off roading and want to just have a vehicle what will rely on the computer and clutch packs to direct power to where it needs to go. Off road LSD’s are a disaster. Clutch packs have to be replaced. If you’re on tarmac they should be fine in oem format...
It's no locker, but it works really well off road.

Sponsored

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Electronic/air lockers are better than LSD. Auto lockers like a detroit locker has its advantages, but on a slippery off camber hill, like you might encounter in the forest in winter, they are a hazard. Here is a typical scenario. Your going up hill in the snow or mud and one wheel looses traction, the locker bangs in and boom you loose traction on the other wheel. So now instead of loosing forward momentum and backing up safely, the back end slides off the down hill side of the trail. An open diff would leave one wheel spinning and one wheel anchored to the trail. Selective lockers are the way to go for slick conditions.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I worry that the lsd will do the same thing. The upside is that lsd is far more visual, which i think is more fun.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Seriously though, i got the antispin rear to help initiate rear slides in corners. I love hanging the ass end out like a dirt bike.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

LSD on street-use has little value even for a sports car, now on a race track at racing speeds it is a valuable option to have, I used to think having LSD on the street was desirable until a friend of mine (who won the Daytona 24 hour race) explained how and when LSD provides you advantages...
having had lsd on multiple cars id disagree. On a powerful fwd car it helps with wheel spin and tremendously helps in cornering on winding roads. On rwd car like my mustang it keeps from spinning one tire when you step on it. You would not be able to launch as hard without it. What your friend is discussing sounds more like a Torse lsd which is an upgrade option for my car. I havent experienced any traction issues coming out of corners though so i havent upgraded. Im putting down a lot of power too, but im also not racing.

i have the lsd on my jeep. Havent noticed any benefits from it. Off road or on. My explorer sport on the other hand, holy crap! I was driving on snow and slipping a little. I put it in “snow mode” and ZERO slipping. The ecu controls the traction. I had to drive down a tight snow covered trail in the mountains in that Exp on 20” street tires and we were amazed at its capability.
Sponsored