Sponsored

What is the max weight capacity of the stock spare tire mount?

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
For those with experience with larger tires and the Mopar Hinge-Gate Reinforcement What's the max wheel/tire weight? From others experiences what's the max, not what its rated at but the max weight before rattling will start occurring?
This is my one dealer addon I already regret, but still hope to get some use out of it without issues.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Good ? I've been following the tailgate weigh carrying dilemma for 1-1/2 yrs. Folks mostly seem to go by size and what physically fits. I think it prudent to be weight concerned. From the many posts I've read, it does seem the Mopar unit will handle a light 35" tire and wheel package. Without first hand experience I would suggest keeping it close to the often mentioned 85 lbs.. I am curious as to how much weight you guys are thinking of carrying. My tire/wheel combo is about 108 lbs. I opted out of hanging it off the back, just saying. BTW, Welcome to the (2dr.)short club.

OP
OP
Archeonomy

Archeonomy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vanderhall
I was considering the Wheel Vintiques 17 x 8 Steelies which weigh 38 pounds. Should be no problem.

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I ordered our JLURD with plastic bumpers. I bought the over priced tera flex carrier to have adjustability. I set it up so that when I close the gate, the 37" Toyo MT comes into contact with the plastic bumper and is partially held up by it. These bumpers are throwaways IMO, so no harm no foul. This setup is working fine to tide me over until I can build my own custom bumpers, rear with an integrated tire carrier of some sort.

So my point is, if you have plastic bumpers, and you can order the perfect tire and wheel combo or modify it just right, going for that same sort of interference fit might work out for you.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I think if you're going with anything larger or heavier than the stock 285/75/17 wheels that come on the Rubicon, than just get the tailgate reinforcement. I don't see any downsides to having one. Yes, it's a little more cost, but it's really not a huge amount when you're already thinking lift, tires, wheels, that hit to the mpg. I'd say put it in the budget and give yourself the piece of mind.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Good ? I've been following the tailgate weigh carrying dilemma for 1-1/2 yrs. Folks mostly seem to go by size and what physically fits. I think it prudent to be weight concerned. From the many posts I've read, it does seem the Mopar unit will handle a light 35" tire and wheel package. Without first hand experience I would suggest keeping it close to the often mentioned 85 lbs.. I am curious as to how much weight you guys are thinking of carrying. My tire/wheel combo is about 108 lbs. I opted out of hanging it off the back, just saying. BTW, Welcome to the (2dr.)short club.
I'm also a fan of having more strength built into something than it needs. My spare is about 125lbs and the Cavfab hinged carrier doesn't even know it's there. It'll easily support the heaviest beadlock and 40 combo without breaking a sweat. I also adjusted it to the highest position to maximize ground clearance.
Jeep Wrangler JL What is the max weight capacity of the stock spare tire mount? 20210211_132351_resized

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
the weight capacity is the same as your wallet size for upgraded mounts :)
Sponsored