Sponsored

What is the largest tire I can fit on stock 2023 wrangler with stock rims?

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
285/70’s will work just fine with your stock suspension set up. Lots have done it. Mine were swapped at 2k miles, zero issues. I’ve gone some fairly serious places without a problem. The 75’s will likely be fine if you stay on road, but I’d expect some rubbing on a trail.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I did not realize that, but he said 265 was the highest I could go and I’m not sure if that’s actually true or if he’s going by a manufacture recommendation
265 isn't the height, it's the width, which you probably already know. 285mm tires will fit on a stock Jeep wheel, if it's 7.5" or 8".

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I did not realize that, but he said 265 was the highest I could go and I’m not sure if that’s actually true or if he’s going by a manufacture recommendation
the 75 in 285/75 means that the sidewall height is 75% of the width. So the sidewall height is 285 x .75 = 213 mm sidewall height.

If you get a 285 (mm wide tire) and it's a 285/70, that means that sidewall height is 285 x .70 = 199 mm sidewall height

So shorter by 13 mm, or about 1/2 inch.

If you want more width, you might as well go with 285/70-17s. You will also have 10 times more choice since 285/70-17 is a very common OEM tire.

It's the OEM tire size for Rubicons and Mojave Gladiators. So there are tons of zero or very low mile tires, as well as mounted wheels and tires for pennies on the dollar.

I see you are in MA. There is a guy in Hudson NH who sells take off wheels and tires. In case you want to put alloys on your Sport.

https://wranglertires.com/

GMONEY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2D Rubi Earl
Clubs

I had 285/75/R16 on my 2011 sport with no lift and they fit perfect. Apparently I have no idea what I am doing because I wanted to put 285/75/R17 on the new jeep and town fair tire told me that would never fit without lifting & changing the rims. New Jeep is basic sport model. I mostly care about max width of the tires because I think stock tires look like training wheels.
Do you want wider or taller? Or both?

If all you want is wider find a smaller ratio.

The first number is width and has absolutely nothing to do with height until you add the second number and wheel size.

The two tires you mention are the same width and have the same sidewall height but the 17 is taller.

A 275/65R17 will be shorter and is closer to the 275/75R16.

Remember

Width in mm / ratio/ radial / wheel size

Ratio is the % of width for sidewall height

So your examples are both the same width and sidewall however the 17 is taller than the 16 because the wheel size IE the hole in the tire is bigger.

Change the ratio aspect down when wheel size goes up to get the same overall height.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Do you want wider or taller? Or both?

If all you want is wider find a smaller ratio.

The first number is width and has absolutely nothing to do with height until you add the second number and wheel size.

The two tires you mention are the same width and have the same sidewall height but the 17 is taller.

A 275/65R17 will be shorter and is closer to the 275/75R16.

Remember

Width in mm / ratio/ radial / wheel size

Ratio is the % of width for sidewall height

So your examples are both the same width and sidewall however the 17 is taller than the 16 because the wheel size IE the hole in the tire is bigger.

Change the ratio aspect down when wheel size goes up to get the same overall height.
He didn't seem to understand what the numbers meant. He said he wanted 75 series tires, but then said he was only interested in increased width.

So now he's learning.

GMONEY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2D Rubi Earl
Clubs

He didn't seem to understand what the numbers meant. He said he wanted 75 series tires, but then said he was only interested in increased width.

So now he's learning.
Yeah

Hell too many people don't understand the numbers. 33 x 12.50 is a lot easier
Sponsored