What is the Height of a JL?

DavidNJ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeep yet
Both the Jeep.com website and the FCA press kit give the same height and ground clearance for all Wranglers. However, there are at least 4 different tire sizes (245/75-17, 255/75-17, 285/70-17, and 255/75-18) with over an inch difference in diameter.

For them to have the same height the Rubicon would need less lift from the factory. I thought it was the other way.

Is there an accurate table of height and ground clearance for the JL?

Thanks,

David
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Both the Jeep.com website and the FCA press kit give the same height and ground clearance for all Wranglers. However, there are at least 4 different tire sizes (245/75-17, 255/75-17, 285/70-17, and 255/75-18) with over an inch difference in diameter.

For them to have the same height the Rubicon would need less lift from the factory. I thought it was the other way.

Is there an accurate table of height and ground clearance for the JL?

Thanks,

David
I hear your question and I don't know the answer. Allow me though to add yet another variable:

My premium soft top definitely rides higher than my hard top....

not by much--an inch or two--but definitely higher.

David--and I say this respectfully and in metaphor, better to take the tape measure to a dealer with the rig of choice on the lot for you to measure, than buy butter at the supermarket to serve as lube for tight fits.;)

...and maybe you'll want a roof rack,

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
My 2Dr Base Sport on 245/75/17's soft-top, stock is about 6'1" tall at the highest roof bow...

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
If I remember correctly, my stock JLUR sits at 73 inches. I only remember this because my garage is 77 which limits me to 2 inch lift and 35s leaving me an inch to spare.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
As @Gee-pah said, take a tape measure and measure yourself if you think its going to be that tight, if your concern is a garage or parking garage. It probably varies slightly, but enough to matter, on tires and hard or soft top. I believe Rubicons are about an inch higher than the other trims, I could be wrong. And that may change slightly depending on if steel bumpers are optioned. And then there are aftermarket lifts and tires.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are worried about fitting in a garage, with the soft top, is that if you fit fine in a garage with the soft top up in its normal closed position, that doesn't necessarily mean you will fit if the soft top is in the sunrider position (sides and back on, top flipped open over the front row). Someone here drove into their garage with their soft top in the sunrider position, and damaged it, I think they needed a new soft top.

OP
OP

DavidNJ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeep yet
Actually, I trying to understand lift and tire size. Somewhere in my phone discussions, I was told that the Rubicon was higher than the others. Even if it was the same it would be higher because of tire size. However...the specs don't show it.

FCA specs for the Ram 1500 and 2500 show it. The Rebel and Power Wagon are different than the others.

I was planning on modifying a JK. However, I've been told that the JK Rubicon front axle really isn't much stronger than the D30 and it would really need something like Dynatrac's $6500 Trail Leader. It would also need aftermarket LED lights. And fenders.

However, the same conversation said the JL Rubicon's axle is strong enough, with the 4.71 first in the automatic (5.13 in the manual) the 4.10 gears are enough, the fenders are already raised, and a 2.5" lift kit (minimal geometry issues) and <4.75" wheels are all that's needed for 37s and 35s fit with no mods. And there are other little features like the aux buttons, stronger spare tire mount, added safety features, and maybe a better way for a front camera (although the aftermarket systems are more flexible).

This height is affected by tire size, spring rate, and spring mount which is probably also different since the D44 should have different diameter tubes. The measurement I'm probably looking for is frame rail to ground or driver's door sill to ground, the latter apparently used by the NJ DMC.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Actually, I trying to understand lift and tire size. Somewhere in my phone discussions, I was told that the Rubicon was higher than the others. Even if it was the same it would be higher because of tire size. However...the specs don't show it.

FCA specs for the Ram 1500 and 2500 show it. The Rebel and Power Wagon are different than the others.

I was planning on modifying a JK. However, I've been told that the JK Rubicon front axle really isn't much stronger than the D30 and it would really need something like Dynatrac's $6500 Trail Leader. It would also need aftermarket LED lights. And fenders.

However, the same conversation said the JL Rubicon's axle is strong enough, with the 4.71 first in the automatic (5.13 in the manual) the 4.10 gears are enough, the fenders are already raised, and a 2.5" lift kit (minimal geometry issues) and <4.75" wheels are all that's needed for 37s and 35s fit with no mods. And there are other little features like the aux buttons, stronger spare tire mount, added safety features, and maybe a better way for a front camera (although the aftermarket systems are more flexible).

This height is affected by tire size, spring rate, and spring mount which is probably also different since the D44 should have different diameter tubes. The measurement I'm probably looking for is frame rail to ground or driver's door sill to ground, the latter apparently used by the NJ DMC.
It sounds David like you may wish to mod a JL in ways that leave you with a limited number of rigs, configured similarly (at least as it relates to mods that alter vehicle height) to measure against. Your may be sourcing your parts from multiple vendors, each of which individually may be not able to speak to the affect that, for example, their lift kit has with another vendor's tires.

Then again, perhaps a conversation with one of the vendors on height may be a good starting point. They may know of an installation of their wares where a customer did in fact choice their parts, and those of the very other (for example) tire vendor you seek to purchase product from.

Wrangler owners, partly with pride and partly with heart are often very willing to go out in the snow and take measurements for you. :):)

We ask one thing in return. After you successfully mod your rig and love it, would you be available to answer questions from us where you bear specific configuration expertise? :)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The roof of my Sahara with a 3/4-inch leveling kit and 33.2-inch tires is 6’ 1” from the ground.
Sponsored