Sponsored

What is the gizmo flashing green light under the dashboard?

Case67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Hi,
Jeep Wrangler JL What is the gizmo flashing green light under the dashboard? IMG_7693.JPG

I purchased a 2020 JLUS in July. Under the dashboard on the right side (near where my right knee goes--see pic), there is a gizmo attached. When the engine is turned off, it rapidly flashes a bright green light, then, after a few seconds, flashes the green light about once a second. The flashing continues until the engine is turned on again. I can't find anything about it in the manual. Is it some kind of dealer-installed security thing?

Thanks
Sponsored

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Is it a lease? Might be a immobilizer

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
I had one installed in my Jeep as well, it looks like a Karr brand car alarm. If you opted to pay for it, they leave it enabled. If you didn't pay to use the device, they put an inert device in it (the teal part) because it's easier than removing.

Dealers will have the company come in and do every vehicle, it's just cheaper that way since the devices are cheap. Problem is, at least in mine, they splice into your factory wiring at the OBD II port for 12V.

I removed mine with no issue in the first week.

OP
OP
Case67

Case67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I had one installed in my Jeep as well, it looks like a Karr brand car alarm. If you opted to pay for it, they leave it enabled. If you didn't pay to use the device, they put an inert device in it (the teal part) because it's easier than removing.

Dealers will have the company come in and do every vehicle, it's just cheaper that way since the devices are cheap. Problem is, at least in mine, they splice into your factory wiring at the OBD II port for 12V.

I removed mine with no issue in the first week.
Sorry, I'm not very technical. What is the significance of splicing into the factory wiring at the OBD II port for 12v?

Thanks.

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
Nothing significant, they usually use a device like this.

Jeep Wrangler JL What is the gizmo flashing green light under the dashboard? s-l400

It's just taboo to mess with factory wiring because it's one large harness and not easily replaced. These connectors can be taken off relatively easily and it'll just leave a small splice in the wiring insulation. Putting some electrical tape over it should resolve all worries.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Is that device stuck to your dash with adhesive or was it drilled in? I know it's near the floor and not really visible, but I wouldn't be cool with that at all.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Years ago I went and looked at Chevy Cruze and the dealer had this BS on every car on the lot. I said no thanks and walked, who knows what they've done to the wiring in the car adding this stupid thing. Just another useless thing they'll try to charge you for in F&I anyway.

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
The one in my JL was simple but the one in my Camry I picked up earlier this year also had the same alarm. That one they cut the ignition harness and put the device in between as an immobilizer.

I've removed the 12V source so it isn't parasitic but, left the device in place until I figure out what I want to do with it...
Sponsored