Sponsored

what is the best cargo van for towing JL

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm interested in a Cargo van to tow my 5,000 lb. JLR. New Chevy express seems to be the only V8. I am wondering if the new Fords and Rams really have what it takes with their V6's. Anyone have personal experience towing with the smaller motors. BTW, I will be flat towing for the forseeable future.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Well, the 3.5L EcoBoost is rated to tow the weight of 2 JLRs in the F150. That said, the Transit tow ratings are notably lower, maxing out at about 6,900 lb with 3.5L EB, 3.73 gears, 130" WB, and low roof. When you add the trailer weight, that's pushing it, but I don't think it's power that is limiting the tow rating, when considering the ratings of the F-150.

The GM on the other hand is rated for up to 7,400 lb with the 4.3L, and even more than that with the optional 6.6L monster.

I don't have any experience with recent vans though. The last cargo van I drove was a 1986 Econoline, and the small V8 in that thing would lose speed going uphill without even towing.

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks, I never even thought to check the Chevy 4.3 because it's non turbo enhanced. Yet there it is rated to tow more. I like that and hopefully someone will come on will real world experience running a 4.3L.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Thanks, I never even thought to check the Chevy 4.3 because it's non turbo enhanced. Yet there it is rated to tow more. I like that and hopefully someone will come on will real world experience running a 4.3L.
I don't often see cargo vans towing much, but again, the same engine is used in the Chevy 1500 trucks, so you can gain some impressions from that.

My boss has a crew cab Silverado 1500 with a 6.5ft bed, and the 4.3L. He regularly loads of his family of 5, bikes, kayaks, etc, and tows a ~3,000 lb hybrid trailer on camping trips. He is satisfied with the performance. His previous tow vehicle was a minivan.

That said, I think most people that plan to tow 5k lb or more, tend to buy engines with 350+ HP. Necessary? Maybe not, but it's nice to have.

Personally, I have a Sierra 1500 with the 5.3L V8. I've only towed up to 3,500 lb, so I've always had more power than needed.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
My employer is moving to the Ram Promasters for our maintenance support vehicles (lowest bidder). Biggest POS and most uncomfortable I ever been in… I like the Ford Transit better, I was lucky they rented me one once. Drove it from Louisiana to Ohio and back.

The Promaster loaded up and towing a trailer feels unstable.

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero