Sponsored

What is the average age of a JL Rubicon owner? Input yours

What is the average age of a Rubicon owner.

• Total voters
OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I didn't say that my investments were totally making the $525/mo payment. What I originally said was that my loan is 2.90% and my investments have a higher rate of return than that. I'm not an investment guru, which is why I have a financial advisor doing such things for me.

If I was trying to do this on my own I would probably be broke and driving a rusted out Yugo. :)
I used to pay cash for all my cars. I went to buy a new car back in 2012 and the intrest rate was 0.09..... Didn't even want to put any money down. Just like I have the ability to pay my house off, but the intrest rate is so low, that to pull money out to do so would be a bad investment.
Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
With any luck I have a few more years
Wishing you all the best. I share your situation. Southern Cal is relatively close to a lot of varied and fun stuff year round making your ride practical and useful entertainment for us po folks.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Back to the OPs original question, I'm in the 50+ category and could easily afford a fully equipped Rubicon if I chose to buy one. However, I chose a moderately equipped Sport because that is what I wanted/needed.

It's my daily driver ready and equipped for any trails and snow I may run into. I'm extremely happy with it and enjoy it more every day.

I figure the $20,000+ additional I didn't spend on the Rubicon will be available for other good purposes in life.

Everyone is different and choosing a Rubicon or not can be completely unrelated to our financial or economic situation.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
I bought my first jeep, a CJ-5 back in 1973. A 304 V-8 with a 3 speed. Terrible mileage,
I could never grasp why some CJs got such terrible mileage. Best friend and I both bought new rides after college back in '69.... from the money we had left over from putting ourselves through school (imagine that today). He sold his '62 Galaxy convertible, bought a 302 V8 Bronco and I traded a '65 pony for a new '69 with the same engine. We both paid well under 3 grand..... less than half of our annual salaries from our new jobs. Both our rides got over 20 mpg on interstates and about 16 in town. His Bronco included free wheeling locking hubs, hence the great mileage. Unfortunately, his Bronco literally rusted away after about 10 years.

I don't buy the often cited "Jeep's a box" excuse for poor mileage. Back in the mid '70s I told my neighbor who owned a CJ5 with a Torque Command straight 6 about the San Juans.... he'd never been there. We left on a Friday night loaded with camping gear. That little CJ ran like a muscle car and got 22 mpg on the 60 mph two lane to Colo. Drove Black Bear/Imogene the next day, wheeled all weekend and only made one gas stop entire trip. The worst mileage I ever got was in a Chevy 350 3/4 ton pickup... 6 mpg! I sold that hog after one month.... never owned anything GM since. 50 years later and FCA can only claim 16-23 for a $50k unit? Come on!

The Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
30yrs old. 3 kids, wife, mortgage, her car payment. I'm a General Contractor, she's my part time interior designer/stay at home mom. I chose to go into the service and then into the job market, so no college debt.

Got rid of my 12yr old Cadillac Escalade Pickup that had 100k miles. Some clients were asking my designers if I'm "charging too much" because I drive that kind of car. Good luck explaining that their Toyota Camry is worth several times my truck.
It's odd that cars have stereotypes attached to them. If I would come by on a new $80k Chevy Pickup, no one would bat an eye. Weird... I figured what's the stereotype of a Jeep driver? Just a guy who enjoys life.

Sponsored

Ish22

First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright White
32, purchased my JLUR last year.

I hate these polls, it reminds me that I’m not in the 20s demographic anymore. Lol

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
32, purchased my JLUR last year.

I hate these polls, it reminds me that I’m not in the 20s demographic anymore. Lol
and that you buy more like a 50 year old.

e-pill

First Name
edd-e
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-DOOR JLR 2.0L TURBO STING-GRAY
Occupation
INDESTRUCTIBLE ROBOTIC HYPER FISSION ENGINEER
Today is my 1 yr anniversary of buying my JLR. I love every second of owning it. In 3 yrs ill be 50, but I was only 45 when I bought it. Today I also just hit 3500 miles!!

Phunkz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
Was 51 when I bought mine and am still, well at least for another week!

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Was 51 when I bought mine and am still, well at least for another week!
I ordered mine two weeks after turning 51. That was also two weeks after I retired.... for the win.
Sponsored