Sponsored

What is the average age of a JL Rubicon owner? Input yours

What is the average age of a Rubicon owner.

• Total voters

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
When I was about 12 years old.....I learned to drive in a WW11 Jeep. My dad was an implement dealer.....and I sorta grew up behind the parts counter. The "parts-man" taught me how to drive and how to shift.....which was the biggest obstacle for a young guy. I drove allot of tractors, trucks and that old jeep for many years before getting a DL.

Grew up as a hot-rodder with a 32 ford and many other classic vehicles. The Rubicon is more fun to me than those old street rods.

I've owned a few jeeps over the years.......but the '20 JLUR is a beast compared to any other. I'm now 73 years young......and still smile when riding in this rig. Lots of fun.
Sponsored

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Just turned 30. Worked in automotive my whole career. Thought it was time I got a ride reflective of my lifestyle and hobbies.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Talking with my friend the other day and when his nineteen year old daughter went to buy her JLUR, one of the local dealerships would not let her test drive it. They actually told her to bring her mommy or daddy back for a test drive.

Well she bought at a different dealer and put $29,000 down.......her money not her parents. She is very independent and is also paying her own way through college. I tell her all the time that she is super cool for buying a Rubicon at her age. Literally she could have bought a BMW, Mercedes, or other typically college chick car, but no she bought a JLUR and then tricked it out.

Not your typical college chick. and that's why I tell her she is so cool, plus she wheels it.

Jeep Wrangler JL What is the average age of a JL Rubicon owner? Input yours Jee

So I know younger people buy Rubicons, it just not the norm.

1911addict

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
I am 55 and an FNG to the forum. I bought it for my son for graduating high school and saving me money going to college.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
it would make no sense for me to pay cash for a $58K Recon when I will come out better by making monthly payments and investing the rest.
Making no monthly payments, investing the alternative sum has worked very well for me. Moreover, there is no disclaimer clause attached regarding my free and clear stuff. 0% or.01% interest loan..... hmmm......Evidence, suggests 2.9% could be as much as 2900 times what some others are paying.

Jeep Wrangler JL What is the average age of a JL Rubicon owner? Input yours WhenSomeoneElseControlsYour Money

Last edited:

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
poor guy probably got laid off and couldnt afford it. Or has a lot of money and doesnt mean a thing to him....or had problems with it, possibly a lemon and couldnt wait to ditch it. who knows??
Been on two Colo. outings since he bought it. It remains a cream puff after he washes it. 18mpg avg. He admits the build strength and hiway passing acceleration doesn't match his FJ Cruiser, (I can vouch for that) but topless, rear door windows for dogs, 35" tires, winch, sound and drive-ability are matchless. Also, on steep descents he never touches brakes as he was always needing to do in the FJ. He and wife love using a manual again....so much control and fun yet in a loaded ride. Lemon? Not so far. We both agree the ESS battery and proximity ignition circuitry may become problematic after warranty, but will deal with that when and if it happens. If it does, take losses and check out a Bronco. I don't recall 60s vintage CJs having resale value like the Broncos.

BroncoResale.jpg

Snug

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I'll be 33 years old next month - been fortunate enough to get into tech without a formal college education or formal college debt. Been saving up for awhile to get a JL after my JK was stolen about two years ago.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Making no monthly payments, investing the alternative sum has worked very well for me. Moreover, there is no disclaimer clause attached regarding my free and clear stuff. 0% or.1% interest loan..... hmmm......Evidence, suggests 2.9% could be as much as 2900 times what some others are paying.

Jeep Wrangler JL What is the average age of a JL Rubicon owner? Input yours BroncoResale
Making $525/mo payments and investing the other $58K is working great for me.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Been on two Colo. outings since he bought it. It remains a cream puff after he washes it. 18mpg avg. He admits the build strength and hiway passing acceleration doesn't match his FJ Cruiser, (I can vouch for that) but topless, rear door windows for dogs, 35" tires, winch, sound and drive-ability are matchless. Also, on steep descents he never touches brakes as he was always needing to do in the FJ. He and wife love using a manual again....so much control and fun yet in a loaded ride. Lemon? Not so far. We both agree the ESS battery and proximity ignition circuitry may become problematic after warranty, but will deal with that when and if it happens. If it does, take losses and check out a Bronco. I don't recall 60s vintage CJs having resale value like the Broncos.

Jeep Wrangler JL What is the average age of a JL Rubicon owner? Input yours BroncoResale
Dont know why a new jl wouldnt clean up on an FJ unless it wast a rubicon with 4.10s. Oh, you said it's a manual, that could be for sure. The auto's are amazing.

As for the bronco's. lots of reasons but the biggest is they just werent sold in the numbers the CJ's were and likely less of them are around. Add to that the new bronco coming out pumps up the interest. Plus the new bronco's dont have a solid front axle so it's seen as more formidable whether it's used off road or not. Collectables are literally money in the bank.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
well old 58 yr old DINK, 4th jeep, still have all 4 including a 18 Sahara the wife drives. Could never of afforded these years ago with house to pay for, but paid that off in 08 and havent looked back.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
Happy to know your luck is holding. Reality is you can lose your investment while still owing your debt. One symptom of psychosis is persisting in ignoring reality. I would bet that the contract with your fiduciary contains a performance disclaimer while not offering to pay your debts if your investment loses. The best economists all realize that as stock valuations and economic activity decrease over time, unemployment increases. 2008, today's pandemic and China should be hints of what's happening and likely to come.

Recently, the son of a friend of mine after accepting a better paying job located in a western state submitted his notice to his employer of 20 years. He quickly sold his desirable, paid off house in a seller's market; possessions stored awaiting a new home, anticipating sugarplum fairies. He and his family took a short break staying in resort style accommodations celebrating his good fortune before reporting to work. Got an email from his new employer advising of rescinding the employment offer due to unexpected loss of business and cash flow related to COVID and recent trade relations with China, adding that when the crisis was over they would be happy to reconsider his availability. They thoughtfully and voluntarily gave him three months pay. Congress never passed law regarding the binding nature of employment commitments. Overnight, he found himself homeless, unemployed with cash, in a seller's market with nothing more to sell. He could sue, but at $350+ per hour, $10,000 retainer, an unfamiliar attorney and no prospects with a lot of time required to stick out a series of judgements and appeals regarding an uncertain future, he accepted a job at 40% of his previous pay, four weeks less paid vacation, decreased medical coverage with annual salary reviews. His wife, a teacher did not renew her contract, discovered the school system was scrambling to save the jobs of those already contracted next year. Reality set in; he was set back 20 years. If he decides to sue, cashing the three months pay as he did (who wouldn't in his distress, unless you're a lawyer) is legally accepting the terms of separation muddying his prospects for recourse.

Studying the collapse of '29 you'll discover even those with clear property lost it because property taxes remained in the face of $0 incomes. Assets are property owned by a person or company, regarded as having value and available to meet debts, commitments, or legacies. Investment leveraged against debt is acknowledged in the profession as speculation. So, as Clint said, "Who feels lucky?". Wisdom holds that luck always trumps how smart one feels. Bought some Tesla and Netflix about 10 years ago....stayed debt free, paid taxes and stuck with the old Cherokee, my lucky ride. Worked up a base JLR order then experienced an FCA build bait and switch. Soured me and for some reason caused me to itch regarding my holdings; sold it all the first week of Feb; stuffed in my Roth. I'm acquainted with luck while knowing how quickly it can turn. Too old to start over.
Jeep Wrangler JL What is the average age of a JL Rubicon owner? Input yours Calculater

I'm pretty far behind the times not realizing that eleven year notes were being offered. A lot happens in eleven years.

Last edited:

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
It takes a high rate of return to take $58k and turn it into $525 per month. Those investments are the kind that you can make a lot on or you can lose a lot on.

But then $525 per month vs. $58k doesn't compute either. Financing at 0% interest for 84 months would still be $690 per month, and I didn't see anybody giving 0% interest on Wranglers, just the lesser stuff.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Buying a Rubicon is not cheap. I opted for a higher monthly payment for fewer months. Put almost 50% down. My wife really hated getting it, but I have already survived a massive heart attack last year, thankfully no damage, but after going through a near death experience, realized life is a temporary appointment. No one can get out alive. We are financially responsible and able to support our lives. I have no children so my legacy ends with me. I don't plan on being the richest guy in the graveyard. With any luck I have a few more years left to me. This is why I got the jeep.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
It takes a high rate of return to take $58k and turn it into $525 per month. Those investments are the kind that you can make a lot on or you can lose a lot on.

But then $525 per month vs. $58k doesn't compute either. Financing at 0% interest for 84 months would still be $690 per month, and I didn't see anybody giving 0% interest on Wranglers, just the lesser stuff.
I didn't say that my investments were totally making the $525/mo payment. What I originally said was that my loan is 2.90% and my investments have a higher rate of return than that. I'm not an investment guru, which is why I have a financial advisor doing such things for me.

If I was trying to do this on my own I would probably be broke and driving a rusted out Yugo. :)
Sponsored