Sponsored

What is the average age of a JL Rubicon owner? Input yours

What is the average age of a Rubicon owner.

• Total voters

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm a retired corporate CFO.

I've given my three children three pieces of financial advice:
  1. Start saving for retirement NOW
  2. Have a written budget,and ideally use Quicken to track
  3. Use cashback credit cards and pay them in FULL every month
In my opinion, that's all it takes.
Agree, the trick is to have a career that pays enough to save. I know so many people that are running on the edge.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You've missed out on so much joy and frustration! :)
I have dogs. That's enough of both.

"A man's got to know his limitations" (Dirty Harry)

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Agree, the trick is to have a career that pays enough to save. I know so many people that are running on the edge.
Absolutely. I know that this is going to date me, but the trick is to save until you have enough money before spending. I hear a lot on here about 84 month car loans - bad move. Also, I once read a thread where a member had bought four 35s but was running an OEM spare until he/she could save enough to buy the fifth tire - what?

Trust me, I've made most of those mistakes when I was younger (I'm 65) but when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Very good advice. I'd only add a 4th: Avoid debt except for a primary residence (until you are established enough to leverage low cost debt to grow your net worth.)

Last edited:

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
oh yeah,

been doing that ever since my first job at age 13 or so. now 43 well ahead of the game for retirement at 55 if i want to. it will depend on what the future holds.

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
1). find a profession that has a high barrier of entry. Therefore, even if you suck, you can still make good money.
2). Make some good money and then take the skills you learn at that business and start your own.

Real money is made by owning your own over working to give it to someone else.

Apok

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
First post.

I'm 32 with a Rubicon. I found a used 2019 for below KBB value and took the plunge about a month ago. I'm a software engineer and my wife is finishing up her PhD. We have a house in a lowish cost of living area and are still paying mostly interest at this point on a 30 year fixed rate loan with low interest. We have a second practical car that is paid off and will be used as a trade-in when my wife needs a new car. No student loan debt to pay off. 401k rolling and I have a mutual fund portfolio that I started when I got my first job and had more money than I knew what to do with. It's now rolling along nicely since I graduated right after 2008 and the market was at a low point when I started investing.

I'm mid career at this point so my salary covers all of our expenses and then some. My wife's meager income on top of this lets us do things like buy the Rubicon. We plan on having kids in a few years, so we have no other major expenses as of right now. When my wife gets her big girl job in a few months, we'll look into paying the Wrangler off in a year or two to maximize our credit score gains.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm 64, and just retired in mid January, just in time to take a hit in my savings. I still have a good bit, but I have no pension and rely on it for the remainder of my life.

So you younger ones get back to work and help me out here. (I need a market rally)

Last edited:

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
I would also add, Passive income! Remember too, no one gets rich or in a very comfortable place just working a 9-5 or 40 hour week............unless you come into money.

I'm 40... collecting 1 retirement and a hefty monthly passive check on top of my current job. I could quit working altogether now but with 529s and other financial moves........I will have both of my kids colleges paid for before they enter high school.

My financial moves good/bad were from growing up piss poor and having a work ethic that never quits. Personally I didn't mind work 2 or 3 job at one time in my youth (avg. 100 hrs a week). Hell, even my senior year of high school I was averaging 80 hours a week. Now I only work more then one job for french benefits. If you're always working, you don't have time to spend money.......an effective savings plan in itself.

Once this COVID 19 crap is done and the auctions open back up........I'll be back to flipping cars. For me the hustle is more fun then the money. My wife doesn't like the long hours.........but being able to set up a killer retirement and setting our kids up Trumps all.......

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Now I only work more then one job for french benefits.
I'm trying not to use my imagination to determine what french benefits are.

I've done a lot of that 80hour and 100hour per week stuff, but being considered a "professional" I was only paid a straight salary.

A young engineer that worked with me was trying to determine how he could become independently wealthy by age 50 so he could retire. I told him to become a plumber, then when he had enough experience to know what was going on he could start his own plumbing company.

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
I'm trying not to use my imagination to determine what french benefits are.

I've done a lot of that 80hour and 100hour per week stuff, but being considered a "professional" I was only paid a straight salary.

A young engineer that worked with me was trying to determine how he could become independently wealthy by age 50 so he could retire. I told him to become a plumber, then when he had enough experience to know what was going on he could start his own plumbing company.
I'm 57...had a pretty good job at a UAW manufacturing facility. Tier 1 supplier to Ford and GM along with some others. UAW retirement. Had a 401K but lost that in a divorce. Couldn't get back in. Child support was extremely high. Second highest in the plant. By choice for the most part. To this day we never knew what happened or caused it but the Union and the company got into a pissing match. Long story short the company closed the plant which started the corporation, Borg-Warner Automotive. 26+ years walked out with nothing. Pulled our insurance, benefits and...our retirement. And yes they can. 2009. Bounced around to more jobs than I can count. Started the manufacturing job 1.5 years after high school. Over a quarter century building automotive transmissions and transfer cases. Never finished college, to good of a job. Youngest daughter even asked me one day how come I didn't finish college. Looked at her and said, "if I had I wouldn't be standing here talking to you". Took about 2 seconds for that to sink in. Today, I run a front discharge mixer and make decent money. Insurance isn't to costly. I really can never retire. Yes I have a fair amount of debt. Child support stopped in '16. I work alot of hours. And yes I'll do an 84 month loan when I order my 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon hopefully in about 2 weeks. Don't have much but I will have a sweet Jeep.

Reactions: omg

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
Ouch, sorry to hear about those problems. I've owned a number of the T-10 4-speed transmissions though.
Been over 11 years now. Bitter, yep was. Chip on my shoulder, huge at one time. Like a giant Redwood. Now, mostly saw dust. Work. Try to enjoy life. Hopefully start going to Jeep events here in Indiana. Make the best of it. We made some really great transmissions. T-10, T-5, T-18&19, T-56. Great place to work. Great family of workers.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Absolutely. I know that this is going to date me, but the trick is to save until you have enough money before spending. I hear a lot on here about 84 month car loans - bad move. Also, I once read a thread where a member had bought four 35s but was running an OEM spare until he/she could save enough to buy the fifth tire - what?

Trust me, I've made most of those mistakes when I was younger (I'm 65) but when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.
I agree the 84 month car loans are concerning. On the other hand I will take a 0% loan for 84 months all day, every day, for the free money. I would just invest the money I would have paid in cash.
Sponsored