Sponsored

What is the average age of a JL Rubicon owner? Input yours

What is the average age of a Rubicon owner.

• Total voters
OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I don't get owning a Jeep and paying someone to work on it except for a few special cases such as swapping rear gears.
I have done all my own Jeep mods except a gear swap. I just do not posses the skill, expertise or tools for that Job. I will swap motors or rebuild motors, but gear swaps and transmission rebuilds I pass on.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Time is a powerful variable. I agree with @wordslayer on the general differences between those early vs late in their working years. When you're young it can be hard to realize this. Advertisers advertise to the young because culturing brand loyalty at a young age is very valuable.

I was in the same boat as @multicam in my late 20s but was reversed. My wife turned me into a saver. I've worked my ass off for my employer, implemented a solid financial strategy, and got very lucky. I wouldn't be as fortunate as I am today if anyone of those hasn't happened for me.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't get owning a Jeep and paying someone to work on it except for a few special cases such as swapping rear gears.
You will, when/if you get old and have the disposible monies.

I've done all my wrenching over the years, starting at an early age. By the time I was 17, I was setting up diff gears and rebuilding engines and transmissions. At 18, I was the machinist for a top racing head shop. I've done full strip-down body and paint work, electrical, etc..But never did upholstery or any auto trans work. Now, it takes longer to do things and I hurt for days. I pay for more work now than in the past, but still do a lot. Dont diss on people that don't do their own work. They own a jeep for their own reasons.

Now go figure out how to swap those diff gears and don't forget the front axle.

Baddog2020

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I didn’t want to wait until I was to old and/or physically limited to enjoy it. I see far to many people cut down in the prime of their youth due to a traumatic event. You could have the cholesterol of a newborn and run 20 miles a day, One day a distracted driver hits you and boom you are left permanently disabled or worse.
Conversely, I have seen 50 year olds who can not walk without an assistive device, let alone climb in and out of a Jeep or safely operate any vehicle. I guess what I am saying is, tomorrow is promised to no one, so enjoy it now, responsibly.
Amen to that.

Bought my Rubicon last July at age 54. First Jeep ever. 30 years as LEO, retired for six weeks, wife of 27 years said I need to do something, so I went back to the grind. Of course I “needed” a daily driver, so . . .

Got mortgage, credit card debt, 24 year-old who is still chasing his hoop dreams overseas and a dog. Lost good friend who was 60, lean and ran everyday. Buried both my parents less than 10 months apart a few years ago. Changed my perspective to say the least.

As Trauma Jeep said, tomorrow isn’t promised to anyone. Although my dear wife is not into Jeeps, motorcycles or guns, she allows me to enjoy my stuff (although she draws the line at firearms-it’s all about compromise, ain’t it?)

In 5-7 more years, most of the debt will be gone, and I will hopefully retire for the second time and enjoy myself full-time. Until then, I’ll value each morning that I open my eyes and appreciate it and remember those who no longer can. And smile every time I climb into my JLU. Be safe out there!

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I should probably add to this that my original plan when I first set out on the Wrangler path was to buy a used one, but the resale value is so high that I decided it made more sense to just buy a new one and get exactly what I want. This isn't my first new car but it is the first one I've custom ordered, and I couldn't be happier.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Time is a powerful variable. I agree with @wordslayer on the general differences between those early vs late in their working years. When you're young it can be hard to realize this. Advertisers advertise to the young because culturing brand loyalty at a young age is very valuable.

I was in the same boat as @multicam in my late 20s but was reversed. My wife turned me into a saver. I've worked my ass off for my employer, implemented a solid financial strategy, and got very lucky. I wouldn't be as fortunate as I am today if anyone of those hasn't happened for me.
Agree fully - time is a powerful variable, but also something that is tough to get back ;)

To anyone young and just getting started it is so critical to save whatever you can starting as soon as you can. No amount is too small. And it's not that complex - a simple Vanguard account is a great way to get started. VTSAX or VTWAX as a fund (VTWAX has more international exposure) and let time do it's job.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
When I read about older people, no kids, I'm thinking living on social security fixed income. How can they afford a $55k vehicle?
Probably paid off their house, have low living expenses, and maybe some other income on the side? Once you’re past retirement age you can get as much as you want on the side and still get the full social security amount lol.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
After reading a poll about the Jeep owners household income, it was mentioned that with all of the people owning Rubicons that it was an indication that many people had crazy money... or something along that line. I think it has more to do with many of us being in a different stage of life, like kids grown up, and 99% of life's major purchase are already bought and paid for, (college, home, other cars,.... big ticket items) so their money is freed up. I think this a lot of times comes with age.

So that is what promoted this poll.
That a right answer I am 34 and could only afford a sport s. I make good money but still have plenty of bills and big future purchases.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Heh. They’re probably not living on social security alone. A retirement account can easily be converted into an income generator, for life. And when you die, the original balance in full can be passed on.

Sponsored

EJH220

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Rubicon Recon / 20 Aviator / 22 Bronco Sport
I'm 46, married (for the second time, much better this time than the practice marriage). Two teenage step daughters, got them at 2 and 4. House will be paid off before the oldest graduates from high school.

Banking / Finance / IT career and retired at 39. Went back to work at 41. Retired again at 45. Bought in to (and semi work for) the company my wife has been at for 10 years. Two office locations in two states. Wife runs the office where we live.

Been lucky and unlucky. No parents or grandparents. One brother. The divorce was back in 2007, a blessing but didn't know that at the time, now thank God everyday.

Writing this feels like bragging, but I'm only trying to convey that we all are different and have different reasons for having a Wrangler.

This is my 5th Jeep and 2nd Wrangler. I got my first Wrangler in October 2012 and feel like I'll always need to have something like this to play with. It's not my daily driver, so I can work on it when I can. I have other toys but always come back to the Jeep as my favorite. (This new one is amazing!) I can do most things to it, but will pay someone to re-gear or do things I don't have the tools or facilities to handle.

Driving a naked Jeep is great, the girls love it and will wear sweaters / jackets even if it's cooler outside. Wife makes us run Body Armor doors. I do go off-roading but not rock crawling (yet). Mud, water, snow, it's all fun!

Financial responsibility is the key. As was said before, invest as much as you can, as early as you can. The Time Value of Money is a real thing. Credit cards are to be used correctly. (I prefer cash back bonuses.) Use and pay off every month, or use for emergencies only. Don't use your house as a piggy bank for "stuff." (Home equity loans to go on vacation or buy a car etc...) No Debt is the new millionaire. Don't need to make a lot of money to live on and have fun when you have no debt or bills to pay.

One of my favorite things I like about having a Wrangler is the variety of people we get to meet. Blue collar, white collar, young, old, it's all good and fun.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
When I read about older people, no kids, I'm thinking living on social security fixed income. How can they afford a $55k vehicle?
Dumb luck. Really! I just put 20% of my check in our company stock 401k for 25 years. I lucked out to hit a boom in the market when a monkey could make money. My wife did similarly. Yeah, I studied to get an engineering job, wife too. But probably the biggest swinger in both me and my wife gaining a significant financial portfolio and being able to retire a bit early (early 60s) was not having children. That facilitated two professional careers.

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Dumb luck. Really! I just put 20% of my check in our company stock 401k for 25 years. I lucked out to hit a boom in the market when a monkey could make money. My wife did similarly. Yeah, I studied to get an engineering job, wife too. But probably the biggest swinger in both me and my wife gaining a significant financial portfolio and being able to retire a bit early (early 60s) was not having children. That facilitated two professional careers.

You've missed out on so much joy and frustration! :)

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Yeah, I studied to get an engineering job, wife too.
I have an engineering degree, I work for a big company in a big city, I'm the most experienced engineer there so I have to tell everybody else how to do it. I have over 40 years experience.

I'm sorry, I'm editing this response because it doesn't do anybody any good for me to complain about my position. I gather that there aren't very many people in this forum like me.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm a retired corporate CFO.

I've given my three children three pieces of financial advice:
  1. Start saving for retirement NOW