Sponsored

What is the anti spin differential rear axle option?

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Can the more mechanically informed explain my Jeep option to me? 😎

I've only had it for 5 months....🙄
Sponsored

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
Limited Slip Jeep Wrangler Differentials - Not Open, Not Locked
Jeep limited slip differentials combine the benefits of an open and a locked differential. They are less common on Wranglers than open differentials. A limited slip differential was a factory option and is also sold as an aftermarket upgrade. It is designed to act like an open differential in most driving conditions.
In conditions where both wheels have an equal amount of traction and the vehicle is not turning, the differential will spin both wheels at the same speed with an equal amount of torque. This is how vehicles with limited slip differentials are able to do burnouts.
In conditions with poor traction like on snow, ice, or mud, where one wheel has less traction than another, the differential will send more torque to the wheel with more traction. Limited slip differentials are better than open differentials at providing extra traction to the wheels, however, lockers provide the most traction on uneven surfaces like mud and rocks. This is because they provide the benefits of both an open differential and a spool/locker.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jeep-lockers-explained.html