Sponsored

What is she capable of doing in Moab?

steelrain82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Next year, sometime in the spring I will be out the Moab way. I’ve never done any sort of off-roading except a few bumpy trails and some light snow driving. I would like to know if i can do any of the trails out there, or should I avoid it in this build?

1.) I currently have a bone stock JLU Sahara. She doesn’t have Selec-Trac, or the Anti-spin rear differential. She has the stock AT tires not the All seasons.

2.) What about a stock Moab with the Falcon wheels. What can I reasonable do in Moab with this?
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
2.) What about a stock Moab with the Falcon wheels. What can I reasonable do in Moab with this?[/QUOTE]

Nothing! ....... just kidding, lol, made me think of an old thread I was in, rubicon vrs moab humor. Seriously you can do quite a bit with either rig. Maybe @Sean K. will chime in, but if not, you should reach out. He’s very knowledgeable about Moab, and other things. I know because I bugged the crap out of him when I first joined the forum about different kinds of lockers. But he was cool about it and helped me out quite a bit......:)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
OP, not everything in MOAB looks like this

resized_highlight.jpg

You also have a lot of this

720a81d3cd5fdf7d223dd6ae1936bd05.jpg

And this...

87e6f0d958b7ac94b881eb42afd59d90.jpg

A stock Jeep in any trim can do a lot of stuff in MOAB, so don't worry, Just don't try picture number 1 :like:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
LOL...pic one is fine Sean. Gravity will ensure you get down. Going up is another story. ;)

That pic is actually on the Moab Rim at the Z turn. To the left of where this Jeep is at is the regular trail...and it's not that difficult.

Thanks for the tag, Roky. :)

OP, you can do all sorts of trails in Moab.

Without at least a limited slip, you're at a bit of a disadvantage, but there's still plenty to see and wheel out there.

Number one thing I'd recommend is: Go with at least one other vehicle.

Make sure you have recovery equipment......

Since you're a self-described novice, it would be good to go with someone more experienced.

I don't even know what "Falcon" wheels are....I'm assuming they're a brand. Wheel selection will make no difference. Perhaps you meant Falken tires? Either way, your all terrrains will be fine in Moab, and I'd argue they may be better than some more aggressive MTs on Moab's slickrock.

I'd recommend any of the more scenic runs around Moab...they are generally not as hard in terms of obstacles. Get one of the guide books for the area....they should tell you the difficulty levels and required equipment.

Fins 'N Things is a great introduction to slickrock wheeling....it's not hard, but if you've never been wheeling before, it may be a bit daunting and out of your comfort zone, which is why having someone more experienced along is a good idea.
lol, well I figured someone won't like the repair bill from falling down the rocks.:giggle:

Sponsored

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
Just got back from Moab on Sunday. This book was invaluable.

Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193483825X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This site was extremely helpful too: https://www.jeeptheusa.com/moab-jeep-trails.html

I'd recommend any of the more scenic runs around Moab...they are generally not as hard in terms of obstacles. Get one of the guide books for the area....they should tell you the difficulty levels and required equipment.

Fins 'N Things is a great introduction to slickrock wheeling....it's not hard, but if you've never been wheeling before, it may be a bit daunting and out of your comfort zone, which is why having someone more experienced along is a good idea.
A Moab veteran recommended that we started on Gemini Bridges (easy, scenic trail with a hike to the bridge). There's tons of these type of trails around the area.

Did Fins and Things after, that was interesting for a newbie. It was a blast, but I'm glad I had the 2.5" lift and 35's. It's an experience sitting there at 35+ inclines and declines. I wasn't sure what to expect, but there was a lot of ledges and such. Luckily I had a good spotter to help build the confidence up.

Then we did Hells Revenge-lite. Again, super fun, but there's no way I would try the obstacles in my current Jeep.

Moab was so stunning. Don't forget about the National Forest area right out of town.

jimw630

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2001 TJ, 1999 TJ, 1969 CJ5, 1950 CJ3A, 1948 CJ2A
The nice thing about Moab is that if the trails end up being to daunting, there are always the 2 National Parks nearby to spend your time in. An easier trail that is one of my favorites is Shafer trail out of Canyonlands NP. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/shafer-trail

image?size=extra_large&api_key=3p0t5s6b5g4g0e8k3c1j3w7y5c3m4t8i.jpg

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
Start with Gemini Bridges,Long Canyon,Shafer trail, chicken corners - all scenic but easy trails/dirt roads. If you get bored and feel like they are too easy move on to fins n things and hell's revenge :)

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
I'll echo what most said above, you'll be able to do a lot of the trails.... just not the wilder ones.

If you can do any one mod before then, I'd say look at a Belly pan, it will go a long way in keeping the underside of your JL in good condition.

3.6 Artec Aluminum Belly Pan is the trick go-to unit. Massive coverage and only adds 10lbs. of weight to your rig.

2.0 Artec Aluminum Belly Pan also has the skid for the under the body 48v battery if you have the 2.0T.

A less expensive route is the Artec Steel Belly Pan. Same coverage as above, just in steel, so you will have about a 100lb. increase in weight over stock.

Here is the Northridge4x4 how-to on installing the Artec Aluminum belly pan on a 3.6 JLUR: Jeep JL ARTEC Bellypan DIY Install

Daktari

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
we rented a sport with 2inch lift and 33s for a week in Moab and did these trails with no problem:

1Gemini Bridges + side trail that gets you under the bridges and Shafer Trail
2Arches park, no off roading
3Onion Creek to the top, fun trail, back down to Fisher Tower for hiking, no off roading, but spectacular scenery
4Chicken Corners, lots of fun with a couple pulse increasing spots for me as pretty much a newbie
5Canyon Lands - Needles District for a hike, no off roading aside of a dirt road to get to the trail head. Elefant Hill off road trail starts there and looks like something to do in the future.
6 Dino tracks/bones - 3D trail to visit Thrusher Tunnel closer to the airport- Long Canyon back to town, South Fins’n Things. FnT is great fun, had to reserve the rest of it for our next visit, family was getting hungry and it was getting dark.

Do get the guide book mentioned, was very useful.

Our rental company did not allow some of the more difficult trails, Hell's Revenge (though I don't think it's that difficult unless you go for all the harder obstacles), Top of the World and some others, but I'd not have attempted most of those anyway on our first time out. It's a gorgeous area and you'll have a blast!

Sponsored

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Next year, sometime in the spring I will be out the Moab way. I’ve never done any sort of off-roading except a few bumpy trails and some light snow driving. I would like to know if i can do any of the trails out there, or should I avoid it in this build?

1.) I currently have a bone stock JLU Sahara. She doesn’t have Selec-Trac, or the Anti-spin rear differential. She has the stock AT tires not the All seasons.

2.) What about a stock Moab with the Falcon wheels. What can I reasonable do in Moab with this?
Response too late maybe.... but years ago I did Elephant Hill loop in Needles District with my stock Cherokee (ok, I'd added skidplates), no problem. Except... the first step back up the hill was a bit tough.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
If you’ve not done some off roading your Stock Jeep is more capable than you are😳. Go and enjoy yourself! Use your head and dont try stupid stuff and you will be amazed where your Jeep will take you! Take a basic kit with you and you Will have a ball👍
Sponsored