Sponsored

What is JLU's actual fuel tank capacity?

WES IV

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2 dr with hardtop. Firecracker Red.
Occupation
Going over the hills and far away
Owners Manual say 17.5 for two door. Sorry didn't pay attention if you had four door.

Don
Now I know how much will fit in my 2 door!
Sponsored

otter3591

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport
Tried to do a quick search here, but can't find the answer. I read everywhere in specifications that it's 21.5 gallons. For some reason I can never fill more than 17.5 gallons in my tank. I drove till almost completely empty, when I had 1.5 miles showed left, and the fill up was 17.6 gallons till full. I usually don't drive till fully empty, always filling up when I have a quarter of tank (or about it) left, and then I can only fill 15 something gallons. Is the actual tank size in JL less than 21.5 gallons, or is my fuel sensor so much off?
I've never gotten more than 17.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Mine is about right. Today I filled up. 17.8 gallons. Computer said I had 94 miles of range left. I average 22.3mpg.

3.7(remaining capacity in tank if it holds 21.5) X 22.3=82.5

Close enough.

Wrangler-Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Sahara Unlimited
When my Cummins Rams said I had 7 miles left, I’d best not try for 9.

They weren’t fooling, now.

It’s a bitch to restart an out-of-fuel diesel. At least a Cummins turbo-diesel.

I know a way, but it’s nearly as likely to get you killed as start the truck.

It involves gasoline-soaked clothing, and the turbo intake.

You don’t want to know more.
The problem with the gas soaked rag is that if the fumes allow it to run there is absolutely no way to limit the RPMs the engine may go to. Not a good plan on a direct injected diesel.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
This doesn’t make sense. You’ll visit the fuel pump about twice as often as if you just filled up near empty. Extra trips to the pump waste fuel... even if it’s a minute amount, just the amount it takes to pull into and out of the station, it’s still a waste.

It would be like having to pee, walking to the bathroom, peeing half of it out, pinching it off, walking back to the party, then 15 minutes later walking to the bathroom again and peeing the rest out. Or you could just drain it all at once and make one fewer trip.
Just came to say that I love analogies, and this is one of the best I've read! LMAO

Sponsored

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
The orange fuel bars were touching the bottom red line today when I pulled into a station. Stuck the hose in, pulled the handle, pushed the little lever down to hold it open, then freaked as it started stilling out 19.3 gallons later. Never going there again.

Point is, digital "gauge" said empty and there were still 2.2 gallons capacity (1.7 usable on my vehicle). Typical.

I don't pay attention to how many miles it says I have left. I look at how many miles I've gone since the last fill up, what my historical mileage has been, and what the computer says my current mileage is (minus 1), and then I fill up about 20-50 miles before the math says it'll run out. (Snarks allowed here if you know my history). Today that was after 437 miles.

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
My 2019 JLUR went from 10 miles DTE to Low today. And I drove about 5 more miles after that and filled it up with 19.176 gallons.

GrahamWelland

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, Silver + Freedom top
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same experience today. I went from 85 miles range to low mi indication in 50 miles traveling over passes traveling on Hwy 2 in WA.

I drove 30 miles on low mi range, from 10, 8, low and pulled in where I thought that I filled up on fumes. The tank only took 18.5 gallons to full so obviously the jeep JL Rubicon was crying wolf for a long time.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
While I have not ran out of fuel, I have put 20.7 gallons of fuel in my JLUR. So I am expecting the claim of 21 gallons to be legitimate. I prior to this, I had read that reserve was four gallons. So while I was worried because I was pulling a camper trailer. I got off the Top of the World trail about 930 at night hooked up the camper and headed to Grand Junction Colorado. The zero fuel light came on just after I got on I-70. While I did not have extra gas with me, there were four Jeeps so if I did run out, they could rescue me. I was glad when I pulled into our hotel in Grand Junction with a gas station next door.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I just looked through all the logs when I filled up and the most I ever put in was 19.79 gallons and I drove that for a bit on Low. I seem to be in the mid to high 18 gallon range most of the time when I fill-up so a 2.5 to 3 gallon "secret" reserve seems plausible and makes sense based on many of the early entries in this thread to protect us while off-roading.

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just looked back and the most I've put in is 20.222. It was over 30,000 miles ago so I don't remember the circumstance.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
had 60 miles left on the range estimator, filled about 17.5 gallons. 2020 JLUR.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I don't know about Jeeps. But with many vehicles, the gas pump is located in the gas tank. Being covered by gas keeps the pump cool. When the gas level gets too low, the pump can overheat and get damaged. I have seen cases where the owner had to replace the gas pump because of this.

Secondly, there tends to be sediment in the bottom of the gas tank. When the gas gets low, some of that sediment gets pulled up along with the gas.

Both situations will result in poor vehicle performance.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I don't know about Jeeps. But with many vehicles, the gas pump is located in the gas tank. Being covered by gas keeps the pump cool. When the gas level gets too low, the pump can overheat and get damaged. I have seen cases where the owner had to replace the gas pump because of this.

Secondly, there tends to be sediment in the bottom of the gas tank. When the gas gets low, some of that sediment gets pulled up along with the gas.

Both situations will result in poor vehicle performance.
I remember my father telling me a story that it was recommended to carry a towel and a bottle of water when crossing Death Valley in the summer. Due to the fact that the temperature could be 130Ëš+ and the reflected heat from the highway would be closer to 170Ëš-180Ëš, the fuel passing through a fuel pump could atomize and starve the fuel pump. Cooling down the fuel pump and the fuel lines from the tank could get you running again. I would hate to have to lay down in those conditions to resolve the situation, but sitting in a car in those conditions for any length of time would be worse.
Sponsored