Sponsored

What is JLU's actual fuel tank capacity?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Once at a half-tank you are EMPTY in my book. Fill up at 1/2 tank and never worry about running out of gas......
No thanks. I'd rather spend my time enjoying life than in line at the gas station. 1/2 tank in this thing is barely 150 miles.
Sponsored

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
Last time I filled up just over 15 gallons in my 2Dr. I did not have the fuel light on that time, so I am guessing it will let me fill 16 if I run it down a little bit more.
I usually fill up when it's at 1/3rd, especially in winter. Being stuck in a blizzard overnight with very little gas is no fun

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
My 4 door I filled up a hair over 20 before was the most the remaining range just said “low” not even a number anymore. It’s frequently over 19 when I fill up most of the time

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
My 4 door I filled up a hair over 20 before was the most the remaining range just said “low” not even a number anymore. It’s frequently over 19 when I fill up most of the time
And this inconsistency is what makes me think something is wrong with some of our Jeeps.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I have put 19.6 in mine at the most, I do not recall how much was left on the gauge or range though.

My RAMs both have 32 gal tanks, once I put 31.6 in one of them. I was pulling a trailer and that was frighteningly empty.

When my Cummins Rams said I had 7 miles left, I’d best not try for 9.

They weren’t fooling, now.

It’s a bitch to restart an out-of-fuel diesel. At least a Cummins turbo-diesel.

I know a way, but it’s nearly as likely to get you killed as start the truck.

It involves gasoline-soaked clothing, and the turbo intake.

You don’t want to know more.

Last edited:

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
And this inconsistency is what makes me think something is wrong with some of our Jeeps.
You realize that gas moves around in the tank? I just installed a new skid system so I needed to get the tank as light as possible. I drove until it said I had 0 miles left, parked in the garage, drove again the next day and it said I had 18 miles remaining. I drove another 50 miles after that and still think I was under 20 gallons at fill up (I'm in Oregon so they won't top it off). The reserve is likely higher than most vehicles because the mpg is less. I've found that most cars will go well beyond 50 miles after they think they're empty. That's a little over a gallon in my wife's Civic. Closer to 3 gallons in my Rubicon.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
You realize that gas moves around in the tank? I just installed a new skid system so I needed to get the tank as light as possible. I drove until it said I had 0 miles left, parked in the garage, drove again the next day and it said I had 18 miles remaining. I drove another 50 miles after that and still think I was under 20 gallons at fill up (I'm in Oregon so they won't top it off). The reserve is likely higher than most vehicles because the mpg is less. I've found that most cars will go well beyond 50 miles after they think they're empty. That's a little over a gallon in my wife's Civic. Closer to 3 gallons in my Rubicon.

Wait! Gas moves around in the tank??!!
No way!
Way?
Dayum! That changes everything!
Thanks!!!!

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
I was the one who ran out of gas and posted the thread that eventually got closed (thank you, @Chocolate Thunder), so I can speak with authority here: I was able to put 21 gal in it afterward.
I believe one other member admitted to running out, and IIR he was able to put about 20.5 gal in.
My recent averages on fillups have been 19 gal (430+ miles :rock:), after running 30 or so miles with the gas pump showing on the dash. That means mine shows me the gas pump with 75-80 miles range still left. That hasn't varied since I got it in May 2018. As they say, YMMV.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drove another 50 miles after that and still think I was under 20 gallons at fill up ... The reserve is likely higher than most vehicles because the mpg is less. I've found that most cars will go well beyond 50 miles after they think they're empty. That's a little over a gallon in my wife's Civic. Closer to 3 gallons in my Rubicon.
Yes. My JKU always had about 3 gals when the light went on, or about 60-65 miles for me.

Sponsored

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granted, my sample size is only 2, but IMO the inconsistency is between individual vehicles, not within one vehicle's many fillups.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The light will come on sooner if you're doing heavy cornering/braking. Driving slow and straight it will come on later.

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Chevy C10 1/2 ton pickup short bed. 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired IBM
I got waaay behind on filling my JLU up the other day. When I parked it, it showed my range to be 10 miles and of course I had the illuminated gas pump light on for many miles before that. Next day when I fired it up to head to the gas station, on the way to my gig, the range changed to show "Low Mi" and the infotainment display popped on to show where the nearest gas stations were....pretty cool I'd say. My fill up was 19.83 gallons. So...approximately 1.5 gallons left, but I shouldn't have let it get THAT low....just sayin. Thought I'd share. P.S. I really don't want to get to that point again tho. :)

Dakster

First Name
Dak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F350, Chevy Trax
As I look into buying a JLU... Are there aftermarket larger fuel tanks for JLUs? I'm a "when the tank is 1/2 full, I start looking for a convenient place/time to top off" person too. I also end up keeping a lot of fuel at the house for two reasons, one is that I get grocery/fuel points and like to take advantage of every gallon I can get at discount, especially when that discount is $1 a gallon. Depending on the store that's either 25 gal or 35 gallons. Second is that fuel stations can be few and far between and after the Earthquake there wasn't any power and then the gas stations all sold out of fuel... Right now I use the fuel points for my diesel truck, but that is what I am looking on replacing with a JLU.
Sponsored