Sponsored

What is JLU's actual fuel tank capacity?

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Tried to do a quick search here, but can't find the answer. I read everywhere in specifications that it's 21.5 gallons. For some reason I can never fill more than 17.5 gallons in my tank. I drove till almost completely empty, when I had 1.5 miles showed left, and the fill up was 17.6 gallons till full. I usually don't drive till fully empty, always filling up when I have a quarter of tank (or about it) left, and then I can only fill 15 something gallons. Is the actual tank size in JL less than 21.5 gallons, or is my fuel sensor so much off?
Sponsored

beammmer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL two-door, 2017 X5, 1973 2002
Owners Manual say 17.5 for two door. Sorry didn't pay attention if you had four door.

Don

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My sticker says 21.5 gallons. and the specs I found on the Jeep web site say 21.5

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Two Door Models 17.5 Gallons 66 Liters

Four Door Models 21.5 Gallons 81 Liters

2019 Manual - Technical Specifications, p. 535
Yea that’s what it SHOULD be. The question is, if you run it completely dry, how much will it hold?

OP
OP
Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You should probably have extra 1-1.5 gallons if you run completely dry. But not like almost 4 gallons that I am missing.
I mean 1 gallon here or there of reserve like BMWs have is understandable. But I have a hard time believing that my JLU has almost 4 gallons reserve.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
You should probably have extra 1-1.5 gallons if you run completely dry. But not like almost 4 gallons that I am missing.
I mean 1 gallon here or there of reserve like BMWs have is understandable. But I have a hard time believing that my JLU has almost 4 gallons reserve.
Like others, I have the same experience as you. If I drive until the gauge says it's pretty much completely empty, I still can only get a little over 18 gallons maybe in it.

OP
OP
Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So, are we been lied by Jeep on this? And our tanks are actually much less than advertised?

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Every highway vehicle has a reserve amount of fuel after the indicator says you are completely empty. Exactly how much reserve fuel is left when you hit E varies between manufacturer and model. Typically it’s at least 2 gallons or more.

I drove almost 50 miles without running out after the my DTE said I was dry. I don’t remember the exact amount I was able to fill but I think it was just under 21 gallons. That would make the reserve about 3 gallons or so on the 21 gallon JLU tank. So about 18 is the most you would normally be able to fill unless you ran it really low far beyond when it says it’s empty.

OP
OP
Rubicon_LA

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Every highway vehicle has a reserve amount of fuel after the indicator says you are completely empty. Exactly how much reserve fuel is left when you hit E varies between manufacturer and model. Typically it’s at least 2 gallons or more.

I drove almost 50 miles without running out after the my DTE said I was dry. I don’t remember the exact amount I was able to fill but I think it was just under 21 gallons. That would make the reserve about 3 gallons or so on the 21 gallon JLU tank. So about 18 is the most you would normally be able to fill unless you ran it really low far beyond when it says it’s empty.
If the reserve is that big then it makes sense. I didn't want to experiment and get stalled on a freeway somewhere, but I didn't expect a reserve on JLU to be 3 gallons or more.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If the reserve is that big then it makes sense. I didn't want to experiment and get stalled on a freeway somewhere, but I didn't expect a reserve on JLU to be 3 gallons or more.
I did the dirty work so you didn’t have to. Lol.

There was a thread a while back that got very contentious about this subject. The thread poster ran out of gas and got attacked repeatedly as being a reckless moron who endangered the lives of others by doing so. I believe it got closed and/or deleted after personal attacks and flaming.
Sponsored