Sponsored

What is JLU's actual fuel tank capacity?

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

As I look into buying a JLU... Are there aftermarket larger fuel tanks for JLUs? I'm a "when the tank is 1/2 full, I start looking for a convenient place/time to top off" person too. I also end up keeping a lot of fuel at the house for two reasons, one is that I get grocery/fuel points and like to take advantage of every gallon I can get at discount, especially when that discount is $1 a gallon. Depending on the store that's either 25 gal or 35 gallons. Second is that fuel stations can be few and far between and after the Earthquake there wasn't any power and then the gas stations all sold out of fuel... Right now I use the fuel points for my diesel truck, but that is what I am looking on replacing with a JLU.
There was a company (Roam?) that claimed they had a auxiliary tank coming to market. They lied. No such thing exists, but a couple of jerry cans or ropax will work.
Sponsored

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
I read (can't remember where of course) that Jeep factors in 3 gallons of reserve due to the likelihood of off-roading and that Wranglers are more likely to be further away from gas stations than typical cars and trucks. It's plausible, maybe someone on here will give us the info.
So, is the MPG being shown figured by 21.5 tank or 18? Curious how Jeep figures this...

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
I just looked through all the logs when I filled up and the most I ever put in was 19.79 gallons and I drove that for a bit on Low. I seem to be in the mid to high 18 gallon range most of the time when I fill-up so a 2.5 to 3 gallon "secret" reserve seems plausible and makes sense based on many of the early entries in this thread to protect us while off-roading.
Your own logs or does the Jeep keep logs?

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
I've managed to put 21.1g in mine. When the low fuel light comes one, I add 40 miles to the DTE estimation for a true DTE. One of these days I am sure I will run out, have done it with pretty much every car I've owned :LOL:

Pete

Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Today I showed 16 mi until empty, the indicator was juuuuuuust above the bottom line, I was showing 19.5 MPG currently. I put in 20 gallons.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have ran out of fuel. and been close to running out of fuel a few time. I have put 21 gallon of fuel in the tank. I am sure if I kept clicking the pump I could get a little more as I fill up the filler tube.

Made it to the fuel station out in the middle of the desert and put in 20.4 gallons of fuel in the Jeep. I prefer to NOT get that close to being out of fuel out in north western Nevada.....

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Your own logs or does the Jeep keep logs?
That is based on recording fill-ups for over two years and 52,000 miles. I have never added more than 20.016 gallons and that was on Low Miles as the range.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Surprised we didn't really have anyone chime in with the diesel being the 3rd sized tank.
But reading this was a good reminder. I kick around the idea of a 2 door vs 4 door, and the range is something I like to consider. I'm not really doing long hauls, but I don't love feeling like I'm hitting the pump weekly. Always a trade off somewhere.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I used to calibrate my gas gauge for any new car I bought. For example, in 2007, I reset the trip odometer as soon as the fuel light came on. I was able to go 52 miles before it ran out. Ever since then, as soon as the light goes on I reset the trip and plan to get gas around 40 miles. The Yaris gets 35 MPG so the light came on with about 1.5 gal left. My 2007 F-250 had 20 miles after the light came on.

But my mechanic told he'd replaced several fuel pumps from customers that ran out of gas and said it's not worth calibrating on a low milage rig. Can someone knowledgeable comment on calibrating your tank by running it out of gas?

One point no one has brought up is wheeling with 1/8th tank left. I was doing that and going up a really steep hill the low fuel light came on and stayed for 5 minutes after I was level. I shut off the engine and restarted it and it showed 1/8th tank and the light was not on.

I'm guessing Jeep has a more generous reserve so you don't start pumping air on a steep hill (or decent).

My JLR (2 door) takes more than 15 gallons with 1/8 reading, before the low fuel light.

Jeep Wrangler JL What is JLU's actual fuel tank capacity? 20211011_091731

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Here's what the 2022 brochure (PDF) shows... ???
(https://mydigimag.rrd.com/publicati...ue[]=null&co=US&pid=497&pc=J-JL-web&ver=html5)

Guessing that last line is the 4xe, because first line is 2.0 and has 2/4 door values... they also don't say 392... so it's all messed up lol

Jeep Wrangler JL What is JLU's actual fuel tank capacity? JL Fuel Tank

I have a 2.0 JLU (NON-etorque) and I've logged a 19.7 gal fill-up... next highest 19.176... the rest between 19.049 and 18.37...

Even ignoring the high rating of 19.7... I'm doubting that I have just a 19 gal tank... ??? Because I was never on fumes, and as mentioned there's always a gal or two when completely empty on the gauge.

EDIT: Of course Owner's Manual (2022) doesn't match exactly with the brochure info... or I should it's more basic...

https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...ngler_4xe/P132779_22_JL_OM_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf

Jeep Wrangler JL What is JLU's actual fuel tank capacity? JL Fuel Tank_OM

Last edited:

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I did the dirty work so you didn’t have to. Lol.

There was a thread a while back that got very contentious about this subject. The thread poster ran out of gas and got attacked repeatedly as being a reckless moron who endangered the lives of others by doing so. I believe it got closed and/or deleted after personal attacks and flaming.

Oh, ffs... some people have no lives...

My mom gets anxiety from low tanks, so my dad has always teased her about it. Sometimes he'd skip a gas station while on "low fuel" just to see her response. (they've been married 50 years, he's never actually run out)... they're from the Chicago suburbs and took my dad's Tesla down to the bourbon trail in Kentucky. They mapped out the spots to charge carefully because they were spending a lot of time in rural areas. While down there, there was a storm that was obviously not planned for and there were a bunch of downed trees. My mom's anxiety was bad enough that my dad was actually able to get her to take a hit of MJ. They did successfully find a charging station with about 10 miles left on the charge.
Sponsored