Sponsored

What is it?

What type of vehicle do you consider your JL to be?

• Total voters

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I find it interesting how Jeep owners refer to this vehicle. Some call it a car, others a truck...many say SUV.

To me personally, it is a Jeep...in a class of its own. I tend to cringe when I see it referred to as a car, a little less as a truck or SUV...but I am still not comfortable with that. And its not a Wrangler to me, the heritage goes back way too far to call it that. And although I've owned a Grand Cherokee in the past, I really only consider my "real" Jeeps as "Jeeps."
Sponsored

POWDO

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Every time someone refers to a Jeep Wrangler as a car, God kills a kitten.

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Out in my rural area you either have a car or a truck. The Jeep serves a purpose far more like a truck than a car, so it's a truck. I refer to it specifically more as a Jeep, but it's still a truck.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You have to remember that "car" is short for "carrier", and the original Jeep was specifically designed to be a personnel carrier for the war effort.

Therefore, a Jeep is technically a car.

Having said that, in today's world semantics have changed so now we all think of cars as little two wheel drive coupes and sedans only.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I find it interesting how Jeep owners refer to this vehicle. Some call it a car, others a truck...many say SUV.

To me personally, it is a Jeep...in a class of its own. I tend to cringe when I see it referred to as a car, a little less as a truck or SUV...but I am still not comfortable with that. And its not a Wrangler to me, the heritage goes back way too far to call it that. And although I've owned a Grand Cherokee in the past, I really only consider my "real" Jeeps as "Jeeps."
It's a Jeep and needs to be referred to as such. The only other way to refer to it would be as "vehicle". Whenever someone calls a WRANGLER a car, God kills a kitten. Think of the kittens people... think of the kittens.

gumbyhoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: '87 YJ '96 TJ '06 TJ '11 WKII '13 JK 2dr Sport Current: '18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You have to remember that "car" is short for "carrier", and the original Jeep was specifically designed to be a personnel carrier for the war effort.

Therefore, a Jeep is technically a car.

Having said that, in today's world semantics have changed so now we all think of cars as little two wheel drive coupes and sedans only.
Honest question - wasn't the Jeep designed to be a general purpose vehicle (GP = Jeep) and not just a personal carrier? I've seen versions with lots of other uses besides passenger carry.

That would mean that technically a Jeep is a GP is a Jeep.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
90% of the time I'm driving mine, it's a glorified Station Wagon... Until the other 10% when I'm in the mud... :rock:

I call it a Jeep, I consider it to fit in the SUV catagory.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I have a JEEP/TRUCK/CAR(2)--I never MIS-IDENTIFY-

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I thought only JK owners cared so much about this. It’s not sacred. Call it a bicycle if you want to.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Honest question - wasn't the Jeep designed to be a general purpose vehicle (GP = Jeep) and not just a personal carrier? I've seen versions with lots of other uses besides passenger carry.

That would mean that technically a Jeep is a GP is a Jeep.
The original Department of Defense contract referred to it as a truck.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
The original Department of Defense contract referred to it as a truck.
The originals were the CJ-2, which literally meant civilian Jeep model 2. Non military ones I mean.
The Jeep as we think of it was never intended for utility as was the case with the old land rovers. Those you could even spec with PTO for farm implements.
Returning solders simply loved the "Jeeps" and WO saw a market.
Chrysler refers to the Jeep as a SUV.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I typically refer to it as a Jeep. But wanted to comment about how many people are pseudo-insulted by people calling it a SUV. That's ironic because the CJ really was one of the earliest vehicles that invented the SUV category - along with vehicles like the Bronco, the old Blazers (not new ones), the Wagoneer, etc. I fully recognize that what we know of today as SUV's is far removed from those vehicles (today's are built on car frames, whereas those were all built on truck chassis). But in reality, Jeeps were some of the OG SUV's.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
But wanted to comment about how many people are pseudo-insulted by people calling it a SUV
Which is ironic because they are typically the ones who go on and on about your liberal citizens being "snowflakes", yet they are so easily offended by what someone else calls the vehicle they drive.
Sponsored