What is in your tire repair kit?

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
So I was trolling YouTube and came across this video. After watching the video, I searched for emergency valve stems. So I will be adding 4 of these https://www.colbyvalve.com to my tire plug kit. So I will have valves and puncture repair with me on the trail, so barring any sidewall damage I should be good for a lot of situations.

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
So I was trolling YouTube and came across this video. After watching the video, I searched for emergency valve stems. So I will be adding 4 of these https://www.colbyvalve.com to my tire plug kit. So I will have valves and puncture repair with me on the trail, so barring any sidewall damage I should be good for a lot of situations.

Cool product find

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
That’s a great idea! I’ll have order some just in case.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Me too. That’s cheap insurance. This makes sense to me. However, how often do you guys that carry them actually use a tire patch kit? That seems unnecessary to me, but I could be convinced otherwise, I suppose.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rumblefish

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me too. That’s cheap insurance. This makes sense to me. However, how often do you guys that carry them actually use a tire patch kit? That seems unnecessary to me, but I could be convinced otherwise, I suppose.
Like you said cheap insurance! Last fall, I used a plug on a motorcycle tire, it kept the bike on the road/trail for 3 days. Similar to having a first aid kit, it is much better to have and not need than need and not have. I am not talking about those cheap first aid kits, but a quality kit. But again, something is better than nothing. And as usual having the training and understanding of how to use the tools in our kits is incredibly important.

OP
OP
Rumblefish

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About 5 years ago, I found out first hand how important good tools are. While on a the Alpine Loop in Colorado, my wife and I encountered a gentleman and his teen daughter that had cut a side wall, and had no spare. Although he did have one of those green slime compressors and some slime fluid, it just wasn't enough to even temporarily fix his tire. Weather conditions change rapidly above 11k feet of elevation. Eventually we did get him taken care of, but had no one been around, he would have been SOL in a remote area above the tree line.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Like others have said, cheap insurance.

I'm also looking at one of the Slime tire repair kits.
Sponsored