Sponsored

What is in your recovery gear bag?

Blacktip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR
I don't have a winch, but I may add one later, if I determined that I need one.

Should I still carry recovery gears for beach trips? I already bought recovery tracks and air compressor.

What are the essentials recovery gears to carry? Size? brands?

I am new to this, and I don't want to be stranded somewhere.

Thanks,
Sponsored

MikeEIB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD & 2013 JKR 10A
Don’t overthink it. I like to have a kinetic rope, soft shackles, air compressor, tire deflators, basic hand tools, bottle jack, gloves, winch accessories. That’s a pretty basic list but good enough to build from. There are some fairly inexpensive winches out there and you should definitely get one if going off-roading, especially solo.

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Toe strap, first aid kit, Maxtrax boards, air compressor, Midland radio walkies, flashlight, fire extinguisher (can’t recommend that enough), and of course duct tape and a socket set.

J-Frame

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
ARB Weekender recovery kit, plus a couple more soft and hard shackles. Viair 300P compressor and tire repair stuff including deflator, water, jackets, couple of beach towels and a small blanket (wifey freezes), snacks. A very good axe, small Silky hand saw.

Fire extinguisher, 5# H3R is getting mounted this weekend. In winter I add a bag of get home clothes/boots.

Always my Get Home backpack.

And yes, I have used everyone of those items at least once. The Viair and axe/saw most often other than the snacks/blanket.

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Ordered JLUR
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
Toe strap, first aid kit, Maxtrax boards, air compressor, Midland radio walkies, flashlight, fire extinguisher (can’t recommend that enough), and of course duct tape and a socket set.
Toe Strap

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
A factor 55 kinetic rope. two 30ft tow straps, four soft shackles. One 125ft synthetic winch line that is looped on both ends so it is a winch line extension, a tree saver saver strap, and a worn snatch block. Plus the Warn winch and a couple hard d-ring shackles, a pair of gloves, and a splicing tool to fix a broken synthetic rope lines.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I carry a tow strap, soft shackle, and axle strap all the time with me for daily driving. When I go wheeling, I bring a Yeti load out box with another tow strap, two tree savers, two F55 pulleys/snatch blocks, multiple soft shackles, multiple axle straps, and two D-rings.

swedeviking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2-door
I don't have a winch, but I may add one later, if I determined that I need one.

Should I still carry recovery gears for beach trips? I already bought recovery tracks and air compressor.

What are the essentials recovery gears to carry? Size? brands?

I am new to this, and I don't want to be stranded somewhere.

Thanks,
Same here,,,, how do you hook up snatch blocks.. I kind of understand it but want to be sure if I am solo and have to self recover

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
A factor 55 kinetic rope. two 30ft tow straps, four soft shackles. One 125ft synthetic winch line that is looped on both ends so it is a winch line extension, a tree saver saver strap, and a worn snatch block. Plus the Warn winch and a couple hard d-ring shackles, a pair of gloves, and a splicing tool to fix a broken synthetic rope lines.
I'm planning to cut the metal hooks off my tow straps given I carry two pair of SS (soft shackles).

I pulled a guy out last year with my tow strap (kinetic rope not needed). I hooked up my Jeep and he was hooking up his end, insisted he knew how to secure it and didn't want my help. His end came off under large rubber band mode & busted my rear window. Several lessons learned.

Sponsored

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Living directly on the beach we do recoveries at minimum of 6 times a day generally at our particular beach entrance.

1. First aid Kit with a CAT tourniquet.
2. Lifeline 3 piece sand shovel.
3. Four soft shackles (two 12 inch and two 24 inch).
4. Two 40ft four inch wide tow straps.
5. Two 30ft two inch wide tow straps.
6. Two 30ft 1-7/8 Bubba Ropes.
7. Two rubber coated AA led 1000 lumen mini flash lights with spare batteries. (Rubber coated so you can hold it in mouth when hooking up a vehicle in the dark and both hands are free to work.
8. Set of two traction boards.
9. Two 8ft tree saver straps to go around a frame rail or axle or control arm.
10. Factor55 soft shackle two inch receiver block.
11. Four 8in Velcro rope abrasion covers.
12. Basic hand tool set, including flat blade screwdriver and phillips screwdriver and plastic/rubber deadblow hammer and socket set.
13. Mechanix gloves.
14. Two walkie-talkies to use for myself and other driver to have communication as to stop or go.
15. Strap/rope line dampener.
16. Spare heavy rated hitch pin.

I don’t own a winch and will never own one. Just not my thing. I will never ever use any D-rings or frame hooks or anything else metallic that may injure myself or another person, other than the Factor55 soft shackle block that gets inspected daily. We never use chain EVER!! Trust me, if anything breaks it’s coming directly at you or the other person.

A good couple of rules our group follows are:

1. NEVER attempt a recovery with another driver that even remotely seems intoxicated. (You will get killed or you will get your vehicle smashed into).
2. NEVER EVER pull/recover another vehicle with anyone pregnant or with children in the car. (Make them get out and stand far away from the recovery scene)
3. Always know your limits and your vehicles limits. When in doubt do a tandem pull if needed. Meaning two vehicles connected to each other pulling out the stuck vehicle. Never from two different spots on the stuck vehicle.
4. Always triple check all your connection points.
5. Never assume the other guy/gal hooked their end correctly.
6. Never ever use a tow ball as a recovery point. NEVER!!!!!
7. Always be mindful of the other vehicles splash shield in front of the car if in mud or soft sand, because you will cause them to scoop as you pull and rip off their bumper cover.
8. Always inspect your hitch pin if applicable for any bends or stress cracks in its alloy. If any are visible throw it out immediately.
9. Always inspect your tow ropes/straps and soft shackles for cuts/rips and heavy abrasion, if any are visible throw them out immediately.
10. Never use your JL or JLU to pull someone while you are going in reverse. You will absolutely destroy your clutch or automatic transmission.

****Recovery is a very serious thing and needs to be respected to the highest degree or personal injury and or death may occur as well as vehicular damage.****

Last edited:

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Guys! Hang on... slow down. Great advice but let's ease him into this. Sounds like he is a beach guy (no judging) with no winch. I would say first let's ease him into a kinetic rope. Other beach gear?... a portable shovel and a couple of traction boards.

Now we can push him to the rest of the survival gear.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I'm planning to cut the metal hooks off my tow straps given I carry two pair of SS (soft shackles).

I pulled a guy out last year with my tow strap (kinetic rope not needed). I hooked up my Jeep and he was hooking up his end, insisted he knew how to secure it and didn't want my help. His end came off under large rubber band mode & busted my rear window. Several lessons learned.
when using a kinetic rope, I want zero metal connections except for the recovery point on the vehicle.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
when using a kinetic rope, I want zero metal connections except for the recovery point on the vehicle.
Right, but like you I carry several tow straps when the big artillery is not needed. My tow strap metal hook took out my window from a 1 MPH tug. I think I'll cut them off.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Living directly on the beach we do recoveries at minimum of 6 times a day generally at our particular beach entrance.

1. First aid Kit with a CAT tourniquet.
2. Lifeline 3 piece sand shovel.
3. Four soft shackles (two 12 inch and two 24 inch).
4. Two 40ft four inch wide tow straps.
5. Two 30ft two inch wide tow straps.
6. Two 30ft 1-7/8 Bubba Ropes.
7. Two rubber coated AA led 1000 lumen mini flash lights with spare batteries. (Rubber coated so you can hold it in mouth when hooking up a vehicle in the dark and both hands are free to work.
8. Set of two traction boards.
9. Two 8ft tree saver straps to go around a frame rail or axle or control arm.
10. Factor55 soft shackle two inch receiver block.
11. Four 8in Velcro rope abrasion covers.
12. Basic hand tool set, including flat blade screwdriver and phillips screwdriver and plastic/rubber deadblow hammer and socket set.
13. Mechanix gloves.
14. Two walkie-talkies to use for myself and other driver to have communication as to stop or go.
15. Strap/rope line dampener.
16. Spare heavy rated hitch pin.

I don’t own a winch and will never own one. Just not my thing. I will never ever use any D-rings or frame hooks or anything else metallic that may injure myself or another person, other than the Factor55 soft shackle block that gets inspected daily. We never use chain EVER!! Trust me, if anything breaks it’s coming directly at you or the other person.

A good couple of rules our group follows are:

1. NEVER attempt a recovery with another driver that even remotely seems intoxicated. (You will get killed or you will get your vehicle smashed into).
2. NEVER EVER pull/recover another vehicle with anyone pregnant or with children in the car. (Make them get out and stand far away from the recovery scene)
3. Always know your limits and your vehicles limits. When in doubt do a tandem pull if needed. Meaning two vehicles connected to each other pulling out the stuck vehicle. Never from two different spots on the stuck vehicle.
4. Always triple check all your connection points.
5. Never assume the other guy/gal hooked their end correctly.
6. Never ever use a tow ball as a recovery point. NEVER!!!!!
7. Always be mindful of the other vehicles splash shield in front of the car if in mud or soft sand, because you will cause them to scoop as you pull and rip off their bumper cover.
8. Always inspect your hitch pin if applicable for any bends or stress cracks in its alloy. If any are visible throw it out immediately.
9. Always inspect your tow ropes/straps and soft shackles for cuts/rips and heavy abrasion, if any are visible throw them out immediately.
10. Never use your JL or JLU to pull someone while you are going in reverse. You will absolutely destroy your clutch or automatic transmission.

****Recovery is a very serious thing and needs to be respected to the highest degree or personal injury and or death may occur as well as vehicular damage.****
Are you carrying recovery gear for an entire club? One person cannot possibly need/use a half dozen straps/ropes at once. 8' tree saver, 30' kinetic rope, and a 20' strap for different scenarios. 100' synthetic winch extension mostly for self recovery when the trees are just too far away. 4x soft shackles. Aluminum snatch ring. A pair of traction boards. A full complement of hand tools. Compressor. I thought I was over kill, but want to have options for the best tool for the job. You've gone next level with 2 of everything.
Sponsored