Sponsored

What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I would say that June through September are pretty much too hot for top down with no AC.
There is no “top down/off” season here. It’s either raining, too cold, or for most of the year way too hot - even with AC. We get several good top down/off days each year in the brief period that passes for spring and fall. Sometimes 3 or 4 days in a row, but not usually.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
"Here in Tucson we only get 8 inches of rain per year...but you should be here the day we get it."
Sounds eerily similar to our area.
It's funny that you guys should mention that sort of rainfall. I swear we get less lingering, soaking rains these days than occurred in my youth. Rather, the sky darkens, the rain falls hard for 10-20 minutes, and then tapers off almost as quickly. I live in the same county in which I grew up, so there isn't any new geography, etc. to skew things.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
It's funny that you guys should mention that sort of rainfall. I swear we get less lingering, soaking rains these days than occurred in my youth. Rather, the sky darkens, the rain falls hard for 10-20 minutes, and then tapers off almost as quickly. I live in the same county in which I grew up, so there isn't any new geography, etc. to skew things.
Without getting too explucitly into sensitive areas...stuff is different nowadays.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I don't enjoy driving my new JL any more than I did my old beat up WJ with 164,000 miles. Don't misunderstand, I like it very much. But I thought since I custom ordered a JL (with a manual transmission that I always wanted) I'd enjoy driving it at least slightly more. I do have a great time with the JL -- it's just that I had as much fun with the old WJ. It seems that for me the fun is going places and not so much the transmission, body style, or mileage of the vehicle that gets me there. Or maybe I'm just lucky in having two great vehicles in a row!

(I am glad to reset the clock on reliability, safety, parts wearing out, etc. at zero years old instead of 18 years, but that's not driving enjoyment per se).

Sponsored

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
I don't enjoy driving my new JL any more than I did my old beat up WJ with 164,000 miles.
I think I do. I got my 94 YJ in 2005, at the terrible 118kmi mark (expect everything to fail soon!) and drove it as a commuter for a bit then increasingly on snowy FS roads. Around 230kmi when I finally moved on 16yr later.

The JL is more comfortable to be in, it's nice having a heater that works, AC (at all), a radio that doesn't restart going over bumps (and I don't even listen to music half the time I'm driving). Cruise and adaptive make me feel safer because after some hikes I know I'm really tired and want that bit of safety (but in the last 3mo I've measured and I can get better fuel economy with my foot).

I like the electronics. Yes I know how to read a map and written instructions, but I do live in a city and there are times where having active rerouting means you can just drive and know you'll get there.

Off-road is much nicer as well. The sway bar makes trips rather smooth (but I wish it would stop reconnecting just because I go over 18mph for 3sec). The lockers have helped confidence in places. 4L is more capable.

I've gone places that I never went in my YJ. Even silly places like running 15min over to some park near the water early in the morning when I'm unexpectedly inspired. Or hidden places where I never bothered to check before.

I'd say I enjoy driving more now. :party:

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
the range permitted by the diesel is unmatched.
on top of that, their torque makes them a ton of fun to drive. (most of the world knows this; Amerika has been slow to catch on to this point, aggravated by the horrible excuses for Diesels GM put out a few decades ago.)

I don’t see any need for a Diesel in a Wrangler. They belong in 18 wheelers..
But if you must have a Diesel for towing, then purchase a Pickup truck, with a higher towing capacity.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
'poke' is not cool.

get your tires covered! there are reasons it's the law in most states (and it's not just because 'poke' looks stupid.)
Sorry, what's "poke"?

Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Poke is when your tires stick out past your fenders. Kind of a normal Jeep thing.
Ah, I get it. Never heard it called that.

Dusty Roads

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys Sport
There is no “top down/off” season here. It’s either raining, too cold, or for most of the year way too hot - even with AC. We get several good top down/off days each year in the brief period that passes for spring and fall. Sometimes 3 or 4 days in a row, but not usually.
That's no joke. Spent most of my life in this West Texas sun, now I do my best to stay out of it. Plus side is the JL's have a killer AC, better than my GMC truck.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I think I do. I got my 94 YJ in 2005, at the terrible 118kmi mark (expect everything to fail soon!) and drove it as a commuter for a bit then increasingly on snowy FS roads. Around 230kmi when I finally moved on 16yr later.

The JL is more comfortable to be in, it's nice having a heater that works, AC (at all), a radio that doesn't restart going over bumps (and I don't even listen to music half the time I'm driving). Cruise and adaptive make me feel safer because after some hikes I know I'm really tired and want that bit of safety (but in the last 3mo I've measured and I can get better fuel economy with my foot).

I like the electronics. Yes I know how to read a map and written instructions, but I do live in a city and there are times where having active rerouting means you can just drive and know you'll get there.

Off-road is much nicer as well. The sway bar makes trips rather smooth (but I wish it would stop reconnecting just because I go over 18mph for 3sec). The lockers have helped confidence in places. 4L is more capable.

I've gone places that I never went in my YJ. Even silly places like running 15min over to some park near the water early in the morning when I'm unexpectedly inspired. Or hidden places where I never bothered to check before.

I'd say I enjoy driving more now. :party:
My friend has a YJ. I'd agree 100% with your assessment. But the WJ already had those features that your YJ lacked, so a bit different for me. It was already fairly plush.

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link