Sponsored

What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community?

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Ya I’ve had those. They’re nice. Still not better than stock.

Did I just win the unpopular opinion award? Lol
probably, the stock shocks and control arms are fine, but they’re not great. Easy enough to find shocks that offer better ride quality. And don’t even get me started about riding in a jeep with long arms and shocks you can control compression and rebound on.
Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
probably, the stock shocks and control arms are fine, but they’re not great. Easy enough to find shocks that offer better ride quality. And don’t even get me started about riding in a jeep with long arms and shocks you can control compression and rebound on.
I Was on 38s with fox 2.5 DSC and the ride was ok but nothing as good as stock wheels tires and lift.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
You
Some of my neighbors.

DSCN1968.JPG

DSCN2408.JPG

DSCN2441.JPG

Aoudad Ike 1.jpg

Rattler close.jpg
You live in a great neighborhood (well, except for ‘ol no shoulders). I love the peace and quiet where I live, but compared to west Texas, it’s like Times Square (‘crept we are a free state😊)

Last edited:

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Th
The counterpoint is: you buy MT tires because they look “butch,” not because you go off-road...
is-see it ALL the time, lift, big aggressive tires and never leave the pavement😏. Frankly, I don’t get it, but that’s just me.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
You need locker.

I have ran thousands of miles of trails. Very rarely do you actually need lockers.
I mostly agree with this. Lockers, like a winch, won't be needed by most people, in most instances. But both of these are a damn near necessity when you do need them.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I mostly agree with this. Lockers, like a winch, won't be needed by most people, in most instances. But both of these are a damn near necessity when you do need them.
yep, much better to have and not need, than need and not have :)

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Funny thing is this month it does seem like it rains ALL THE TIME. It's weird.
"Here in Tucson we only get 8 inches of rain per year...but you should be here the day we get it."

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
This was so true in my old Jeep but I never followed through on mechanical lockers. I wanted to avoid falling into the same trap, so I just paid for them with new jeep. And I've used them... and am just waiting for the sensors to go out.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
This was so true in my old Jeep but I never followed through on mechanical lockers. I wanted to avoid falling into the same trap, so I just paid for them with new jeep. And I've used them... and am just waiting for the sensors to go out.
Didn't take me very long to have issues. They changed the rear axle 3 times, and have tried wiring harness and other associated half assed attempts to repair. If you don't have bad sensors right now, get them potted immediately to avoid the hassle.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
"Here in Tucson we only get 8 inches of rain per year...but you should be here the day we get it."
Sounds eerily similar to our area.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I used to live there. This is fairly accurate. It's either hotter than the fires of hell. Or monsoon season.
BUT I would argue you get 9 great months of "top down" jeep weather as a result!

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I would say that June through September are pretty much too hot for top down with no AC.
So that would still leave 8 months. But it's still subjective, I usually last a couple weeks in to June, and can start the last couple weeks of September. Everyone has different comfort levels.
Sponsored