Sponsored

What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community?

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Yes. A lift and 35s will do that to a Jeep.
Put 4.56's in it, the mileage will come up 2-3 MPG. Literally. My coworker running the big 37 M/T's is back up to 17+ and was only getting 13.5-14 with the 3.45's. Change the gears, do the reprogramming for the tires and gears, let the transmission learn. BIG difference. Plus it flat out drives better.
Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Ever since JKs, jeeps are the new ricers.

Most ricers from the 90s and early 2000s are downright respectable looking compared to some of the abominations I see rolling around everyday.

Red headlights, grumper grilles, stupid offsets, accent colors that make no sense with the base color, accented door hinges, tacky stickers, etc.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Put 4.56's in it, the mileage will come up 2-3 MPG. Literally. My coworker running the big 37 M/T's is back up to 17+ and was only getting 13.5-14 with the 3.45's. Change the gears, do the reprogramming for the tires and gears, let the transmission learn. BIG difference. Plus it flat out drives better.
I think he already did...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I got 4.88 gears now. It’s helped a lot with driveability but hasn’t made much difference with MPG.

I suspect the Mopar lift is the main culprit. My Sahara gained 4 inches in front and 3 inches in rear. That’s a lot of lift, especially for a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick.

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I got 4.88 gears now. It’s helped a lot with driveability but hasn’t made much difference with MPG.

I suspect the Mopar lift is the main culprit. My Sahara gained 4 inches in front and 3 inches in rear. That’s a lot of lift, especially for a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick.
4.88s are a little deep for 35s too, IMO anyway. Definitely going to be good and low for 4L, but going to rev kind of high on the road. Will run lower rpm with 37s though ;)

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3) If heated seats are more important to you than lockers, then you bought the wrong vehicle.
Heated seats extend the doorless season. I put aftermarket heated seats in my TJ. I did also buy lockers for it, but sold it for the JL before they got installed.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I doubt it’s super controversial but top mount winches are the most practical and easily serviced/cleaned/re-spooled.

Last edited:

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
Eliminate the folding windshield.

Who does that any more...?!?!
This is a useless feature that i would prefer to keep. I will probably never use it, or if i do it will just be to try it out, but to me it is part of what makes a jeep unique.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I first heard the idiom ‘ricer’ or ‘rice burner’ during my bike phase as a pointer to a country-related term referring to Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, and any other Japanese motorcycles imported into the U.S., as rice is a favorite pantry staple in Japan.

How old are you, if you weren't into cars in the late 90s you might never have heard it referring to the lower end import car crowd.

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Coworker is doing it. Had me change his gears about three weeks ago to 4.88. We'll see if it's a ticking time bomb, or it lasts for years. With his driving, I'm guessing it will last for years. He wanted the look, and to go on trails occasionally.
We have 5.13 in our D30 with 37s and beat the crap out of it. So far so good. :fingerscrossed:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
How old are you, if you weren't into cars in the late 90s you might never have heard it referring to the lower end import car crowd.
Especially w/ the extra fancy sewer pipe exhausts, low class & sounds like ass, YAY!