Sponsored

What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community?

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I like the sound of my 2.0 turbo engine, and auto start/stop is not ruining my life. I also have no strong feelings about my antenna. It works, so it stays.
Sponsored

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
I guess sticking with 32s makes me the ONLY JLU owner that sees 8th gear regularly...
Hell, I have and will stick with 32s, and I don't EVER expect to see my manual transmission's 6th gear!

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
I think it's more of a "savings is a savings" situation. Yes, technically if one is really concerned about the environment then you get a Prius, but for assholes like us, they still got us to save, if only a bit.
A second-hand-coal-burning, battery powered Prius is significantly less "green" than any ICE powered vehicle, taking into account EVERY stage of EVERY process that leads to its production and operation.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
A second-hand-coal-burning, battery powered Prius is significantly less "green" than any ICE powered vehicle, taking into account EVERY stage of EVERY process that leads to its production and operation.
Ok
Unfortunately, I can't find any reputable link to agree with your statement. Got a link?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
Ok
Unfortunately, I can't find any reputable link to agree with your statement. Got a link?
Well, I didn't mean to pick on the Prius, in particular. My statement is simply a fact that pertains to ALL battery-operated vehicles.

Those who simplistically claim that battery-operated ("electric") vehicles are somehow overall better, environmentally, than internal combustion vehicles are guilty of the same sort of shallow and simplistic "thinking" that prevails in today's world --- only looking at what is most immediate and obvious, and refusing to acknowledge or consider all the secondary and tertiary relationships and consequences of their policies.

Just look into the woeful environmental record and impact of the lithium mining industry, for one selected but very meaningful example, and try to talk about "green" at the same time.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Well, I didn't mean to pick on the Prius, in particular. My statement is simply a fact that pertains to ALL battery-operated vehicles.
I get what you're saying but I can't literally can't find any actual data that supports what you're saying.

Not being obtuse, I am far from an environmentalist, Christ, I drive a gas guzzler. I legit want to see data that confirms what you're saying. Do you have that data? What are you basing your statements on?

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
I get what you're saying but I can't literally can't find any actual data that supports what you're saying.

Not being obtuse, I am far from an environmentalist, Christ, I drive a gas guzzler. I legit want to see data that confirms what you're saying. Do you have that data? What are you basing your statements on?
That's because you are looking nearly hard enough. And also probably because you are only looking at the flood of corporate media and establishment propaganda on the subject. But sorry, I am not your research assistant here.

The power establishment-led push for battery-operated vehicles is in reality little more than a move to eliminate personal vehicle ownership for the vast majority who enjoy it today.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
That's because you are looking nearly hard enough. And also probably because you are only looking at the flood of corporate media and establishment propaganda on the subject. But sorry, I am not your research assistant here.
Lol, again, I'm not trying to be obtuse. You literally said it was a fact. You understand you can't tout something as "fact" and then just put your hands to your ears and scream "la la la". If it's a fact, then show me.
Where did you get your information from then? There must be something you're basing that "fact" off of? Im not asking you to be my research assistant, I'm quite good at the internet. I am also able to objectively see both sides of a discussion.

So, I will ask again, where did you get your "fact" from? Don't get all mad and contrite, just share your source. We aren't talking Deepthroat here, you made a statement, prove it.

If you can't, then it's a fabrication and has zero merit in this discussion.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Those who simplistically claim that battery-operated ("electric") vehicles are somehow overall better, environmentally, than internal combustion vehicles are guilty of the same sort of shallow and simplistic "thinking" that prevails in today's world --- only looking at what is most immediate and obvious, and refusing to acknowledge or consider all the secondary and tertiary relationships and consequences of their policies.

Just look into the woeful environmental record and impact of the lithium mining industry, for one selected but very meaningful example, and try to talk about "green" at the same time.
Ok, so you edited with some statements.

So, you brought up Lithium mining. Ya, it's a shit show. So, what data do we have to compare a Lithium pit to fossil fuel extraction/refinement/production/distribution? Remember, beyond the power source, vehicles are basically the same so, objectively, they will use the exact same resources right? Glass/metals/rubbers and so on.

Is there data comparing the environmental impact between both? That's what I want to see. You obviously have an inside scoop. I'm intrigued. Let's see that data.

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
Lol, again, I'm not trying to be obtuse. You literally said it was a fact. You understand you can't tout something as "fact" and then just put your hands to your ears and scream "la la la". If it's a fact, then show me.
Where did you get your information from then? There must be something you're basing that "fact" off of? Im not asking you to be my research assistant, I'm quite good at the internet. I am also able to objectively see both sides of a discussion.

So, I will ask again, where did you get your "fact" from? Don't get all mad and contrite, just share your source. We aren't talking Deepthroat here, you made a statement, prove it.

If you can't, then it's a fabrication and has zero merit in this discussion.
Dyolfknip, my data on this subject is the accumulation of years of both working in the mining industry, and my own reading and research on this and other related subjects. I am not trying to be evasive or pissy here, but to try to summarize and present all of that accumulated knowledge, to you or to anyone else, in one neat and tidy package in an online forum post is manifestly impossible.

All I am basically trying to say here is, please look beyond the simplistic and self-serving (dis)information being pumped out by those who are masking a political agenda behind the rubric of "going green".

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Dyolfknip, my data on this subject is the accumulation of years of both working in the mining industry, and my own reading and research on this and many other subject. I am not trying to be evasive or pissy here, but to try to summarize and present all of that accumulate knowledge, to you or to anyone else, in one neat and tidy package in an online forum post is manifestly impossible.

All I am basically trying to say here is, please look beyond the simplistic and self-serving (dis)information being pumped out by those who are masking a political agenda behind the rubric of "going green".
You can call me Todd. Lol. Dyofknip is a PIA to type.

While your own personal data can be brought to the table, I would say that it might be a smidge biased.

And while that data would be a nightmare to compile, I would like to think that people much smarter than us have done exactly that. Just need to find it.

So, at the end of the day, anecdotal evidence isn't evidence at all. I'll continue to look for actual data. If EVs are worse than ICE, I have zero problem sticking with ICE. My problem is that if EV are even 1% better, then that's a difference that we should all care about.
Its like saying that it doesn't matter because China doesn't give a shit what they're pumping out so we might as well not do anything. That is literally the dumbest argument I have ever heard. "well, others are murdering people. I might as well start"