Sponsored

What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You buy AT tires because they are quiet. Not because they are great off road.
The counterpoint is: you buy MT tires because they look “butch,” not because you go off-road...

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
You buy AT tires because they are quiet. Not because they are great off road.
🧐 ... Ted, having read many of your posts and trip journals I figured you would have gone with the Baja Boss MT's. In your opinion, are the BB AT's better than most other AT's? I have been trying to read up on both of them and many say they (BB AT's) are a good "hybrid". Even tough it's a bit down the road I am trying to decide for myself which to get between the two. Less noise is desirable but Florida = lots of mud... Decisions...

Jeep Wrangler JL What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community? 1660140316564

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
35 tires on the v6 or 2.0 engine (if not engaging in rock climbing). gearing doesnt give power or torque. Love my stock 33's and 2.0. However the diesel XR should satisfy my habit.
It's a mechanical multiplier so that is patently false. You reduce mechanical advantage by installing a heavier, taller set of wheels and tires. You gain the mechanical advantage back by re-gearing. You can convince yourself all you want that it doesn't make a difference but it is mathematically impossible not to. It doesn't really matter what engine or transmission is in play. If you make the system worse by adding a modification losing acceleration, driveability and gas mileage in the process you can make some or all of it back by restoring the overall system to as close to the design as possible. It'll probably never be 100% gain back tho due to aerodynamics, added weight, etc but properly re-gearing is absolutely the number 1 quality of life modification you can make to driveability.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
IMO the LS appears to be the superior engine design, but the HEMI seems to be more plug and play.
The Hemi and LS/LT are actually strikingly similar designs. What really hurts the Hemi is that they located the camshaft so high that it can lead to potential oiling issues.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
🧐 ... Ted, having read many of your posts and trip journals I figured you would have gone with the Baja Boss MT's. In your opinion, are the BB AT's better than most other AT's? I have been trying to read up on both of them and many say they (BB AT's) are a good "hybrid". Even tough it's a bit down the road I am trying to decide for myself which to get between the two. Less noise is desirable but Florida = lots of mud... Decisions...

1660140316564.png
Just turn up your radio to fix the noise issue :) Much easier than trying to improve the traction of a tire :)
The Baja ATs are the most aggressive AT, they have the deepest tread, more tread spacing, and most significant sidewall biters, so they will be the closest AT tire you can buy to a true MT tread block. If you truly spend a fair amount of trail time in the mud then that should make a MT tire the first in your cart. Just my 2cs, and like @wibornz has clearly proven, the STT Pros should also be on your short list. IMO can't really go wrong w/ either Mickey tire or the Coopers.

The counterpoint is: you buy MT tires because they look “butch,” not because you go off-road...
Who the hell wants to look butch when driving your Jeep??? Well I guess there are some that would lol.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

Jeep Wrangler JL What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community? 1660140316564
THE BAJA BOSS AT tires are very quiet. I just downloaded a DB meter on my phone, going to check them for noise level compared to the STT PRO later today. They are so quiet, I might be okay with having to pull winch line more often. Only time and wheeling will tell. I only have about 30 miles on them now and zero off road time on them. They have taken me to the mall twice with zero issues. LOL.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
THE BAJA BOSS AT tires are very quiet. I just downloaded a DB meter on my phone, going to check them for noise level compared to the STT PRO later today. They are so quiet, I might be okay with having to pull winch line more often. Only time and wheeling will tell. I only have about 30 miles on them now and zero off road time on them. They have taken me to the mall twice with zero issues. LOL.
I'll be curious to see your reaction to them off road over time. I did a similar transition about five years ago - KM2s to KO2s - and am back at MTs with this Jeep because of my experience there. KO2s are definitely going to behave differently than your Mickeys, but overall I found ATs really round up as they wear and you lose enough traction that it hindered at least my enjoyment of the Jeep. Example below is from a relatively easy trail I run often, that I've just rolled up with no problem with MTs at similar air pressures, with my KO2s struggle bussing the whole time. It was enough that the wife begged me to get MTs for this Jeep from the get-go lol

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
Wow can't believe I missed this thread

Went through all 60 pages and didn't find any of the following.....(takes a deep breath and looks around to make sure its safe)

-when people end or start with 'Just my 2 cents' -_-. I think we know when someone is giving an opinion or a fact
-when people use the word rig instead of Jeep just for the sake of saying rig. Same amount of syllables why not just say Jeep 🤷‍♂️
-Cringey flex photos on rocks

There I said it and ready to be banned. It was nice knowing all of you

Just my 2 cents....

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Here in Southern AZ, 50% of all JLs are Stingray. It's not that great of a color.
I'll be curious to see your reaction to them off road over time. I did a similar transition about five years ago - KM2s to KO2s - and am back at MTs with this Jeep because of my experience there. KO2s are definitely going to behave differently than your Mickeys, but overall I found ATs really round up as they wear and you lose enough traction that it hindered at least my enjoyment of the Jeep. Example below is from a relatively easy trail I run often, that I've just rolled up with no problem with MTs at similar air pressures, with my KO2s struggle bussing the whole time. It was enough that the wife begged me to get MTs for this Jeep from the get-go lol
With the hunting trails I frequent in Southern AZ, I've noticed AT's actually have better traction out here. That is mainly because we are talking about hard packed dry dirt that makes it more akin to a gravel road than a dirt trail. You pass through and there's not even tire tracks to prove you were there. A/Ts give you more surface area to grip with than M/Ts. Additionally, the M/T's won't last because the road just chews them up. The softer compound always led to me finding new missing chunks of tread when i would get back from a day of scouting, vs my KO2s or even my Cooper AT3 FTXs that don't care of its dirt miles or road miles, they just last. And I don't just do regular fire trails... I bought the jeep so I could go where the other hunters can't.

So I know, not the norm for much of the rest of the country... but out here in the desert, I'll go A/Ts all day every day.

Now I plan on doing some trips up north and want the experience to be enjoyable.... so I might be shopping around for some good M/Ts pretty soon here.

EDIT: as a sanity check I had my wife ask in the local Jeep club facebook groups what tires they prefer... the overwhelming response was "K02s." Toyo Open Country M/T was next.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
-when people end or start with 'Just my 2 cents' -_-. I think we know when someone is giving an opinion or a fact
Jmo, but I preface damn near everything that way after having idiots on the internet (not necessarily here) unnecessarily argue that my subjective opinion is somehow wrong, shouldn't be expressed or was being stated as a fact. However, I avoid writing 'just my 2¢' since I feel compelled to pull out the character map for the proper symbol. Jmho, ymmv ;)

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
With the hunting trails I frequent in Southern AZ, I've noticed AT's actually have better traction out here. That is mainly because we are talking about hard packed dry dirt that makes it more akin to a gravel road than a dirt trail. You pass through and there's not even tire tracks to prove you were there. A/Ts give you more surface area to grip with than M/Ts. Additionally, the M/T's won't last because the road just chews them up. The softer compound always led to me finding new missing chunks of tread when i would get back from a day of scouting, vs my KO2s or even my Cooper AT3 FTXs that don't care of its dirt miles or road miles, they just last. And I don't just do regular fire trails... I bought the jeep so I could go where the other hunters can't.

So I know, not the norm for much of the rest of the country... but out here in the desert, I'll go A/Ts all day every day.

Now I plan on doing some trips up north and want the experience to be enjoyable.... so I might be shopping around for some good M/Ts pretty soon here.

EDIT: as a sanity check I had my wife ask in the local Jeep club facebook groups what tires they prefer... the overwhelming response was "K02s"
I do suppose a different result makes sense depending on where you're wheeling - out here in the SE MTs are almost necessary due to the fact that our rocks have about 0 grip (not to mention our wet clay). The sandstone you guys get in the SW is so much grippier that it really changes the equation. If you do take a trip outside of the SW, I still would recommend MTs. KO2s, specifically, have pretty distinct limitations in the goopy stuff and on traction-deficient rocks. Good road manners though.