Sponsored

What is a Steel Bumper Prerunner Tube for?

cujo8lassie

First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hey all

newbie to the Wrangler world. so i figured i would get the new Rubicon. i am looking add some mods. just curious what is the reason of adding a steel bumper Prerunner tube in the front bumper for. at first i thought it was to protect the winch. but it is to high up. then i thought maybe it would help with towing but i have all the tow hooks on the bumper for it.
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Looks and some protection. Ones that are welded on can be used in extreme rock crawling to slide up the front of a rock. Some styles have mounts for lights as well.

Texcal

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
I just received one in the mail myself. Have yet to install it. I think it's officially (mopar) called a Winch Guard. You can use it to mount lights as well. Not sure if it's good for towing since it's not directly attached to the frame. Don't take my word for it, i'm a newb to Wranglers.

OP
OP

cujo8lassie

First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
yeah i think it is just like a brush guard. protect the grille. i just placed an order for it. we shall see. if anything it looks mean

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
DO NOT attempt to tow by connecting to a grille guard. Especially the Mopar one, it's only bolted on to the bumper with weak little bolts.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
In addition to what others have written, it can also protect your grille if someone backs up into you, if someone accidentally moves forward in a parking spot, etc. Especially if it is a truck or a bigger vehicle.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I remember somebody saying that it is used to prevent the Jeep from flipping forward if you were to rock crawl or do some extreme off roading. Of course and for the look.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I remember somebody saying that it is used to prevent the Jeep from flipping forward if you were to rock crawl or do some extreme off roading. Of course and for the look.
That's a stinger. These won't help with that.